Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 11:20 AM

14,481 posts, read 20,667,037 times

Advertisements

What sauce and type of cheese do you use to make pizzas at home. Will use Wewalka dough and maybe green olives and diced tomatoes.

We have glanced at their recipe site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 12:11 PM

811 posts, read 1,148,304 times
Two sauces:
1. A thicker, spicier, umami-punched sauce that is probably more typical of American pizzerias and that I'm personally partial to. It's made with tomato paste, water, olive oil, anchovies, red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, garlic paste, onion powder, marjoram, grated parmesan, black pepper.
2. The "classic", less-is-more sauce: really great tomatoes (something like San Marzano in the can, or great, fresh plum tomatoes), garlic, olive oil, salt. If using canned tomatoes, I don't even cook this sauce at all. Just crush the tomatoes, grate in the garlic, stir in olive oil and salt, and let it hang out for a while before it goes on the pie.

Cheese depends on the toppings, but most often a blend of aged and fresh Mozzarella.

Dough is homemade. Sometimes Neapolitan style, sometimes thin crust, sometimes a thicker, American pizzeria crust. All delicious. Mmmm, pizza. Totally my desert island food.

Two tricks for fab pizza dough: Sloooooow ferment (24-hour pizza dough is my fave for flavor development and texture), and get your hands on some type 00, high protein flour (like Antimo Caputo). Yum.

Last edited by IslandCityGirl; 04-11-2017 at 12:47 PM..

Old 04-11-2017, 12:43 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
Good luck!. My homemade pizza phase lasted two weeks. Got tired of fooling with the dough really fast. Now, back to our neighborhood pizza place...

Old 04-11-2017, 01:46 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
I make my homemade pizzas on naan bread. For traditional pizzas I'd rather just go out and have a Neapolitan pizza.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
I've been making my own pizzas for years. The most important part is a pizza stone, which makes a huge difference in the crust.

I make my own dough and sauce. I don't cook the sauce before it goes on the pizza. It starts with a can of tomato paste and a can of tomato sauce. I grind the dried herbs with a mortar and pestle so the sauce will be really smooth. The only unusual thing that goes in my sauce is a little bit of molasses.

I use mozzarella. Our toppings are usually bacon, ground beef, mini bell peppers and onion.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
I'm not particular about sauce. I usually add my own fresh basil from my garden to whatever sauce I use, and we sometimes don't use red sauce at all, instead use pesto or olive oil, garlic, and parm in its place.

Cheese-wise, usually mozzarella. There are a few pizzas, notably a pear and walnut one, where I use gorgonzola in addition.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:53 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
I vary it, usually with anchovies, but this is my current new favorite:

- Sauce: just plain tomato sauce but I add piri piri sauce to it (Portuguese; super-spicy and yummy)
- Cheese: mix of shredded Provolone (sharp!), mozzarella, Emental, Romano
- More cheese: little bits of bleu cheese scattered around
- And: some sliced green olives

Spicy sauce, sharp cheese, salty cheese, salty olives... so delicious!!!

Old 04-11-2017, 06:08 PM

7,110 posts, read 4,830,642 times
Y'all are killing me. I'm doing low carb in a serious way to lose a bunch of weight I've put on in the last two years.

It's starting to work, but I'm also starting to crave some stuff.

Pizza, especially homemade pizza with lots of crust, is one of my weaknesses. Sorry, cauliflower crust really doesn't do it for me.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:41 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,062,612 times
I make a quadruple batch of dough and freeze it. Whatever is in the house goes on top, most often arugula, prosciutto, olive oil, fresh mozzarella and thin sliced lemons. Sometimes it's home canned tomatoes, anchovies and basil or sausage and tomatoes or caramelized onions, mushrooms and bleu cheese. I really just think of the dough as a vehicle for whatever I'm in the mood for.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:51 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Y'all are killing me. I'm doing low carb in a serious way to lose a bunch of weight I've put on in the last two years.

It's starting to work, but I'm also starting to crave some stuff.

Pizza, especially homemade pizza with lots of crust, is one of my weaknesses. Sorry, cauliflower crust really doesn't do it for me.

I'm doing low carb too

my pizza is ... a dough ball... for crust

cheap tomato sauce and spice it up,,,real burger and sausage on top,,,,with some ham ....loaded with cheese smoked mozz, and provolone mix..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink