Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 12:56 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I have made naan bread but the texture didn't seem right for pizza...I like a sort-of crisp crust, but not brittle & not very thick.

Could you share your recipe? This is interesting to me, as spouse & I were just talking about our favorite local pizza joint going down in quality & up in price...I want to try home made again, but my crust is a fail.
I wish I could make decent naan bread. I purchase store-bought naan bread and throw my ingredients on it. The naan I buy makes a perfect thin and crispy crust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 08:46 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Prepackaged pizza dough NOT= homemade pizza

Seriously. Buying dough and then dropping ingredients on it, and you think you're making "homemade" pizza. You're not. You might as well buy your pizza uncooked, take it home, and stick it in your oven.

HINT: That's not homemade either.
I totally don't agree with this. ^ With varying degrees of time to cook a meal, experience with different components, and just plain what we enjoy making, there are varying degrees of "homemade." Not everything needs to be from scratch to receive a stamp of homemade approval, for crying out loud. I get so tired of this kind of narrow-mindedness, honestly. I love to cook, love the entire process of pizza-making, and have a special love for the animal of bread, so, yes, save for making our own cheese and pepperoni (*gasp* - I guess my pizza is not "homemade" either, then!!), we take on the whole process, but there is NOTHING wrong with having a favorite store brand of pizza sauce that you like to use, or wanting great crust but not having hours (let alone a day) to plan ahead and execute it. For great, non-homemade dough, I recommend snagging some from a local pizzeria on the way home (they will almost always happily comply for a very reasonable price!). The refrigerated dough in a bag at Trader Joe's is pretty good, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
not a stone but a thick chunk of metal is preferred for the best pizza crust due to the stored heat, the metal plate will do wonders over a stone.

I use a 1/4" steel square purchased from a metal place, but you can buy a pizza steel at 1/3" which would hold a little more heat but weighs a ton.
I do love the heat retention and transfer in these baking steels! They definitely help with super crispy crust and a quick cook. That said, if I had to choose only one oven aid for pizza, it would be a cordierite stone (NOT ceramic). The cordierite seems to even out the heat distribution noticeably better than baking steel (though maybe a thicker steel would make a difference, as you mentioned?), it still gets hot, hot, hot, for crispy crusts and quick cooks, and it's super durable (resists cracks from thermo-shock, etc.). For those who have an average oven but love making pizza and/or breads, a large cordierite stone in your oven takes things to another level.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:50 AM

126,279 posts, read 19,048,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I have made naan bread but the texture didn't seem right for pizza...I like a sort-of crisp crust, but not brittle & not very thick.

Could you share your recipe? This is interesting to me, as spouse & I were just talking about our favorite local pizza joint going down in quality & up in price...I want to try home made again, but my crust is a fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I wish I could make decent naan bread. I purchase store-bought naan bread and throw my ingredients on it. The naan I buy makes a perfect thin and crispy crust.
I made many times naan in my 32 years and it is really easy.

This is how I do it...
2 tsp.dried yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp of cumin,sesame or onion seeds
3 1/2 cups Durum or white flour
a bit of salt
4 tbsp melted butter/ghee
3 tbsp plain yogurt

You let yeast rise for 10 minutes.Mix sifted flour,salt and baking soda,make space in the middle and add melted butter/ghee,yogurt and risen yeast.Now knead the dough well just adding enough water to make the dough smooth.Sit the dough in a buttered container and let rise for 3 hours.Knead again and make round even sized balls. I usually get around 16. You can roll the dough balls out either round ( 6 inches)the size of a saucer or elongated.My dough is not sticky at all and I need no extra flour to roll it out on,but maybe it is necessary for you.Meanwhile put the oven on 400 F and put naan on buttered trays (and sprinkle with onion or sesame seeds if you like ) Bake the naan for 5ish minutes You will notice it is ready when the naan has brown dots.

Enjoy

Last edited by Almrausch; 04-12-2017 at 09:58 AM..

Old 04-12-2017, 09:57 AM

126,279 posts, read 19,048,524 times
I make my pizza from Durum flour with flax seeds,a homemade tomato paste sauce with sautéed onions and oregano,add green olives,more onions,tomatoes,green Bell pepper,mushrooms,red or green chilies,sometimes ginger and garlic. Final touch either Canadian old cheddar cheese or a mixture of Mozzarella,Emmenthaler and Gouda.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:11 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Prepackaged pizza dough NOT= homemade pizza

Seriously. Buying dough and then dropping ingredients on it, and you think you're making "homemade" pizza. You're not. You might as well buy your pizza uncooked, take it home, and stick it in your oven.

HINT: That's not homemade either.
Yeah!

I mean, seriously, if you aren't growing your own tomatoes and herbs, aren't keeping a cow and making your own cheese, your sausage isn't homemade and from pork from your own pigs, AND you aren't growing, harvesting, threshing, and milling your own grain for flour to make dough, you ain't sh*t.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:24 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
I dont make dough anymore but i do make pizzas out of bagels, Matzah, tortillas, pre made crusts.

Cheap store sauce and a normal mozz cheese. Random toppings.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:16 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
What sauce and type of cheese do you use to make pizzas at home. Will use Wewalka dough and maybe green olives and diced tomatoes.

We have glanced at their recipe site.
I used to use the sauce recipe by Mark Bittman. His quick rise dough recipe is good too.

For cheese I use the "real" mozzarella that comes in a small package - about the size of a tennis ball. slice that up.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:45 PM

37 posts, read 51,272 times
Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I make a quadruple batch of dough and freeze it. Whatever is in the house goes on top, most often arugula, prosciutto, olive oil, fresh mozzarella and thin sliced lemons. Sometimes it's home canned tomatoes, anchovies and basil or sausage and tomatoes or caramelized onions, mushrooms and bleu cheese. I really just think of the dough as a vehicle for whatever I'm in the mood for.
Totally agree. I make my own dough and freeze it, too. The freezing seems to improve the texture. Bon appetit!

Old 04-12-2017, 07:50 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
I've been playing with pizza for several weeks, and I enjoying the process, but we're not quite there yet.

My sauce is 2 28ounce cans of crushed tomatoes, 3-4 cloves of minced garlic, some Italian seasoning herb mixture, and a small green pepper cut in half and seeded. I heat up olive oil in a pan, cook the garlic for 30 seconds, dump the rest in and cook till the pepper is pretty limp and discard the pepper.

It makes a lot, but I portion the sauce out into muffin tins and freeze till pretty firm. They pop right out, and I stick it in a freezer bag. Pull out what I need and thaw....

I also make sure I use whole milk mozzarella.

But I'm still trying out making crust. It seems to fight me, if not that, it's too wet or too dry....and worse than that, it never seems to be crispy... so I think I am looking at getting steel or stone....

Old 04-12-2017, 08:10 PM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I eat keto (20 grams of carbs or less a day) and I have GOOD pizza a few times a month. I make 2 kinds, one using the fathead crust and the other using a chicken crust.

Here is the fathead recipe.

Here is the chicken crust recipe.
Peach, I have heard of the fathead crust and recipes. They seemed time consuming and labor intensive last time I looked at them, but I will check again.

I'm trying to stay very low carb, too, until I start shedding some of this weight. Like under 10-15 grams.

Gonna try one of these recipes next time I'm in a pizza mood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink