Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2017, 03:24 PM

24 posts, read 13,271 times

Advertisements

I have never cooked a steak ever. First off, is it possible to make a steak on a pot as oppose to a pan?

I have something like this except it isn't that tall. Its probably like 75 percent of this in terms of height.

https://www.amazon.com/Mirro-Nonstic...ds=cooking+pot

I use this mainly to cook pasta and steaming broccoli on the pot. Such as either put pasta or broccoli on it and put water... then steam it.

I know most people use actual pots where it looks something like this... the top picture where the pan is very low etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Rachael-Ray-P...=pots+and+pans

Or would i need a regular pan for this?

The other thing is i hear a lot about marinating steak etc. I never done this ever. I know there is steak like ribeye, tbone etc. Which is usually the best? Best steak to cook as my first steak to cook?

The other thing is when you buy the steak and because i never cooked steak... what do you need to put on the pan? I assume you need to put either vegetable oil or olive oil on it because you put the steak on it right? Obviously you can't just put the steak on it just like that? I know when i use to make eggs, i had to put vegetable oil on a pot before i put in the eggs. And once you do that and turn on the stove, then you basically just watch it and use that utensil to flip the steak around? And the other thing is typically how long should i be doing this for? How long should you let it be there?

And when i order steak at a restaurant, i always order medium rare... because that is what most people order. I know there is medium rare, well done etc. Well how do make your steak medium rare... or well done? Well done i know means cooked more so it basically means as dark as it can get? So im guessing its probably like another 5 more minutes on the pan as oppose to medium rare?

Also do i need to put salt or anything else on the steak prior to putting it on the pot or when it goes on the pot when cooking? I know people like putting seasoning etc. The only thing that i would want on the steak is some sauce that i could buy like the steak sauce.

Thanks all.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:26 PM

983 posts, read 1,182,171 times
Hey BUUUUU-DDDDEY

Just google search Alton Brown cooking steak

That is the answer you seek to cook a steak indoors using your stove and a pan

Last edited by StrkAliteN; 10-15-2017 at 03:45 PM..

Old 10-15-2017, 03:51 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,449,340 times
If you want to make the steak inside and not on the grill, then use a cast iron pan and sear on both side fors 3-4 minutes on high then turn the heat to medium low and cook until desired doneness. The pot you describe will just boil the meat or steam it IMO. I never marinate my steak, I just season with kosher salt, you can add black pepper too or Montreal steak seasoning. The way to tell if your steak is rare or medium rare is by poking the steak with your finger, if it's firm and rigid it's well done if it's a little spongy and springs back then it's medium rare to rare. do not put steak sauce on the steak before cooking!! you can use it after it's cooked. We don't because we like to taste the meat. My family is rare-to medium when it comes to steaks and burgers. You should invest in a cast iron pan/griddle. My BIL likes his bloody, so basically if I grill him a steak it's 3-4 minutes a side and it's done. For your first steak I'd buy a sirloin and see how that turns out. Skirt steak is also good. The more marbling a steak has the better it will taste, fat is flavor and makes the steak tender and juicy. Once you get the hang of cooking steak then upgrade to more expensive cuts.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:06 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,394,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
If you want to make the steak inside and not on the grill, then use a cast iron pan and sear on both side fors 3-4 minutes on high then turn the heat to medium low and cook until desired doneness. The pot you describe will just boil the meat or steam it IMO. I never marinate my steak, I just season with kosher salt, you can add black pepper too or Montreal steak seasoning. The way to tell if your steak is rare or medium rare is by poking the steak with your finger, if it's firm and rigid it's well done if it's a little spongy and springs back then it's medium rare to rare. do not put steak sauce on the steak before cooking!! you can use it after it's cooked. We don't because we like to taste the meat. My family is rare-to medium when it comes to steaks and burgers. You should invest in a cast iron pan/griddle. My BIL likes his bloody, so basically if I grill him a steak it's 3-4 minutes a side and it's done. For your first steak I'd buy a sirloin and see how that turns out. Skirt steak is also good. The more marbling a steak has the better it will taste, fat is flavor and makes the steak tender and juicy. Once you get the hang of cooking steak then upgrade to more expensive cuts.
Absolutely!! I cook steak outdoors on the grill 90% of the time but if I do cook one indoors I also use a heavy pan (Le Creuset) on high heat 3 minutes on each side then 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven. (I cook ribeyes).
Then rest 5 minutes before serving. A little S&P and dig in. No marinade and no steak sauce. yummy!!!

Old 10-15-2017, 04:38 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times
I see that you're new. Welcome to the forum. Please do a Search, as mentioned in the Terms of Service (TOS), before starting new threads.

Here are two threads about cooking a steak that are in the Recipes sub forum.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/recip...oin-steak.html

how to cook ribeye steak?

If neither one of these meets your needs, send me a DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink