Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 11:13 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times

Advertisements

I love dairy and will continue to do so without caring what anyone says. Living in Portland, where a listing of one's ethical objections/food 'allergies'/social justice boycotts/intolerances/etc. is almost a social norm, I just decided I don't give an f-bomb.

I would give preference to dairy providers I felt treated the cattle better than others, but I don't have any faith in corporate assertions or supposed certifications, so there seems no real way to verify any of it. If it's regulated by an industry consortium, I assume that the job of that consortium is to convince dumb people that the industry is obeying rules it is in fact ignoring (which would be any rule that cuts into profits, which in turn would probably be all of them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 11:14 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
For me too. Cheese -- and I mean good cheese -- is really the only dairy that I like.
No buttah????

Old 10-28-2017, 11:17 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
No buttah????
Ahhh, I forgot the beloved butter. I use it sometimes, yes. I don't bake, though, so very rarely. But I do like it (a lot).

Old 10-28-2017, 11:22 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Ahhh, I forgot the beloved butter. I use it sometimes, yes. I don't bake, though, so very rarely. But I do like it (a lot).
Crusty bread and butter with a little coarse salt is a food group.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:25 AM

79 posts, read 82,371 times
The best diet advice I've seen is to "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants" and avoid "edible food-like substances."

Dairy is healthy, real food. As other posters pointed out, it's a staple in other (healthy) cultures.

I am lactose intolerant, but I've learned which dairy I can keep in my diet, and know how much dairy I can consume before it bothers me. I will never give up cream in my coffee, cheese, and a little ice cream now and then.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:34 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
I enjoy dairy while I’m literally enjoying dairy.

Not so much afterwards, though. The more processing that item requires the less problems I have, which supports my genetic lactose intolerance predisposition results.

I don’t just like dairy products I love them; tons of butter & sour cream, mountains of cheese & globs of ice cream ... only comes in second to my carb addiction! I guess I’m doomed.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:38 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
I drank a lot of milk and ate a lot of cheese when I was younger. Now that I'm older, (60) I am enjoying the benefits with good, stong bones.

When I a bone density test done, it confirmed that I have no sign of osteoporosis and I have never had a broken bone.

IMO, dairy products are good for you unless you are lactose intolerant.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:48 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I eat a moderate to low amount of dairy. I love cheese (love, love, love).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-28-2017, 12:02 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
We use real butter, full-fat milk and yogurt and cheese on a regular basis. I have no lactose problems, nor does my H, who once claimed we drank more milk than calfs. I don't go out of my way for it, but I think if you use the un-doctored stuff, you're OK. Eat real food, eat a good variety, and I don't worry about whatever this decade's demon is. There'll be another along, so I don't stress.

Strangely, my cat (cats are lactose intolerant) begs to lick our yogurt and ice cream containers, and will lick the milk out of the H's cereal bowl. No digestive issues for her, either.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:06 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
OP, I envy you because I LOVE dairy but became allergic to it quite some time ago. Allgeric, not lactose intolerant. The dr said no dairy EVER, ever again.

There's nothing wrong with dairy that I know of unless you have a physical issue with it. You get calcium, which you need especially for aging bones, potassium, vits A, D, B12, and protein--probably more because it's a very healthy food. I absolutely hate going without a good sharp cheddar cheese or a nice tall, cold glass of milk. No milk substitute makes a recipe taste as good as real milk. Eat your dairy and consider yourself lucky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink