Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 11:41 AM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yeah, whispering...Rosebud... for all of you old movie fans.

Oh, geez, my nephew is vegan, so a few times a year we have to have the enslaved honey bee discussion. But they can leave if they want to. I keep telling him that I understand because I was vegan for a while.

I crossed the line for cheese. I seriously needed some cheese. Forget the supermarket. I went to a cheese shop. They gave me samples. That was it. I probably bought a pound of butter the next day.

I still can't eat gelatin.
My dd is vegan, but she also has her "dairy encounters" on special occasions, usually involving cheese or ice cream.

When I stopped eating meat two years ago, it was when I was meeting her in Europe where she was stopping on her way back to the US after a year in China. She'd become vegan just before she went to China. I had been considering stopping meat, and had done it for brief periods earlier in life, and I decided to go meatless when I met up with her in Amsterdam. After that we were going to Paris and London.

I told her, "Honey, I am not going to eat meat on our vacation and see how I do, but we are going to three countries that produce some really good cheese, and I am NOT giving that up. LOL, she joined me in the cheese fest as we ate our way through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 12:24 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,412,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
My father was a dentist so growing up in the '60's and '70's my sister and I with our parents probably drank 4 gallons of milk a week - I remember because that's the order my mom put out for the milk man!

So I've always drunk a lot of milk - wasn't allowed to drink any soda until I was 16. Now I don't drink as much milk but I don't understand people who actually hate the taste or think it is so unhealthy. I do eat yogurt every day, have milk in my coffee and in smoothies, and of course over cereal.
I forgot to add that I'm in my 50's now and my bone density scans look GREAT - just as good as a 30 year old woman!

Old 10-29-2017, 12:33 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,412,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post

I don't understand why but my kids and a lot of my grandkids are lactose intolerant. I've seen them eat cereal with milk and then run to the bathroom. One grandkid was tested. Lactose free tastes funny. One grandkid is very allergic and I make things with almond milk for him but have you tasted that? It tastes like liquid chalk to me.

I guess I'm getting lots of calcium anyway!
And almond milk actually has very little almond in it...also, almond milk has only a quarter of the protein of cow's milk and none of the calcium, unless it is fortified. Plain almond milk MAY have less "sugar" in it except most everyone drinks sweetened almond milk anyway.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:39 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,767,400 times
Yes, I eat dairy, mostly in the form of cheese. As far as I'm concerned it's healthy.

Old 10-29-2017, 03:12 PM

32,964 posts, read 36,449,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
OP, I envy you because I LOVE dairy but became allergic to it quite some time ago. Allgeric, not lactose intolerant. The dr said no dairy EVER, ever again.

There's nothing wrong with dairy that I know of unless you have a physical issue with it. You get calcium, which you need especially for aging bones, potassium, vits A, D, B12, and protein--probably more because it's a very healthy food. I absolutely hate going without a good sharp cheddar cheese or a nice tall, cold glass of milk. No milk substitute makes a recipe taste as good as real milk. Eat your dairy and consider yourself lucky!
Oh, damn, I would really miss my sharp cheddar.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,216,070 times
I eat cheese and good quality yogurt. I put half and half in my coffee and oatmeal. I top soups and salads with shredded cheese. I don't enjoy drinking milk though. I do like an occasional serving of good quality ice cream.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:03 PM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And almond milk actually has very little almond in it...also, almond milk has only a quarter of the protein of cow's milk and none of the calcium, unless it is fortified. Plain almond milk MAY have less "sugar" in it except most everyone drinks sweetened almond milk anyway.
I only drink the unsweetened because I try to keep sugar consumption down. They sell it and keep it stocked, so I don't know if "most everyone" is accurate.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:58 PM

17,356 posts, read 11,323,665 times
I'm so glad I'm not alone as far as loving dairy products. I tried the almond milk in different flavors and just couldn't stomach it. It tasted nothing at all like milk to me and had a nasty moldy aftertaste for me. Even in my coffee, it was horrible. I wanted so badly to like it.
I went back to milk and drink about a gallon a week, mostly in my coffee and I now enjoy every drop since I tried the alternative. Now I'm contemplating no longer buying margarine and just using butter. Lord help me. LOL.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:15 PM

16,400 posts, read 30,325,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There's guilt and shame in drinking milk? I must have missed that memo!

If there's some sort of people out there telling you to be ashamed of whatever you're eating, well, I suppose ear plugs may be an answer. Or a different group of advisers?

if you follow this forum, there is guilt in shame in eating ANYTHING that enjoy. There is a small band of readers that just cannot accept that people can enjoy themselves when consuming a meal.

And as I always say, "That is more for the rest of us."

=========================

I generally enjoy cheeses of all sorts, butter, cream, and an occasional ice cream.

I have been paid by producers to taste a wide variety of what I would call "milk substitutes" but I have yet to find one that I like.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:29 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,664,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
I see I'm not alone! Of all the food groups, dairy is my favorite. I try to limit due to calories, but boy I could live on it. Love whole milk, but we do skim here because DH doesn't like the taste of whole milk. I don't understand that, but I've gotten used to the skim. I'm in trouble if cheese is on sale at the store. Love real butter, sour cream, yogurt. I get real buttermilk, not the cultured kind, and it's yummy.

I don't understand why but my kids and a lot of my grandkids are lactose intolerant. I've seen them eat cereal with milk and then run to the bathroom. One grandkid was tested. Lactose free tastes funny. One grandkid is very allergic and I make things with almond milk for him but have you tasted that? It tastes like liquid chalk to me.

I guess I'm getting lots of calcium anyway!
Sometimes I wonder, and I'm claiming no expertise on this because I know lactose intolerance is a real thing, if what kids are reacting to with "bathroom runs" after cereal is actually the fiber in the cereal.

A milk allergy is a whole 'nother thing, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink