Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 07:15 AM

1,198 posts, read 665,149 times

Advertisements

I hear so much about how bad dairy is from a health, environmental, and ethical stance from so many groups ...vegan, paleo, low and high carbers, dieters, environmentalists, etc.

I have read all kinds of contradictions and extreme claims about dairy, and it tends to be a topic of heated debate and is one of the most contentious foods/substances. It is one of those foods I have grappled with myself over the years for various reasons. I have a love hate relationship with it, and see both major positives and negatives in dairy. I sometimes think I am alone in how i feel about the positives that dairy offers. So...

I am interested in hearing from people who enjoy dairy as a regular part of their diet, without shame or guilt, and find that it is healthy and beneficial to you. What kinds of dairy do you include in your diet regularly? What is it that you find healthful or beneficial? Do you buy organic?

I do NOT want this thread to be about the dangers and negatives of dairy or a debate about it's legitimacy as a food etc. I want to hear positive opinions and experiences only. I have heard PLENTY of negatives on many different threads so I just want to get a different perspective and sense from proponents of dairy. I hold no personal position either way at this point, though have been on both sides of the coin at some point or other.

I am personally not a huge dairy eater, but after many years of avoiding dairy for various reasons (and struggling with ever decreasing bone density scores on DEXA scans despite eating many nondairy sources of calcium and other minerals), I now eat plain unsweetened low or nonfat yogurt or Greek style on a regular basis, and find that it is very filling and satisfying to me. It has helped me increase and meet protein and calcium goals, has kept my blood sugar stable throughout the day, and is easy on my stomach. I have a hard time digesting hard cheese so avoid that still, and have a hard time with straight milk so avoid that, but from time to time I can tolerate and enjoy ricotta cheese or mozzarella or Parmesan. I am vegetarian so eat versions of these without animal rennet and only on occasion. I also like that there are very few ingredients in these foods (if sticking to the more natural fresh versions). These are the positives for me. I will not go into the negatives because this is not what the thread is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 07:23 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,318,275 times
We consume a variety of dairy products because we like them, they are all in moderation and we do not over analyze our choice of food consumption.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:28 AM

3,606 posts, read 9,070,632 times
I enjoy dairy and would never pay attention to someone else preaching to me what I should and shouldn't eat because of their views. I suggest that if you enjoy it you should continue to eat it if you feel it benefits you. It really is that simple, your body, your choices.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:33 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,778,846 times
Considering I on a daily basis consume 1/2 & 1/2, Brown and Brummel butter spread.

Weekly, real butter, milk, yogurt

Occasionally a wide variety of cheese.

Our household doesn't buy into whatever media says on anything. We eat moderately and even binge occasionally on what we enjoy.

Life is too short to deny yourself the simple pleasures of life.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:05 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,437,690 times
LMAO... you are *WAY* overthinking this. Dairy has been a staple of human diet for centuries, someone recently found a 2,000 year old chunk of "bog butter" in Ireland (2,000-year-old lump of butter found in Irish bog - CNN).

I drink about a gallon of whole milk each week (oh, I'm in my mid 40's and most would call me "fit"), eat a Ton of cheese, cook with whole cream and the butter... I learned from my mom, she used to freak out if she had less than 5 pounds on hand. For the milk, I buy cheap, actually I buy most of it cheap. I do splurge on good quality, but "organic" just pisses me off as I see it as marketing to increase the price. It's like "gluten free", which I see on maple syrup, a bag of sugar and a hundred other things that would NEVER have anything to do with wheat.

Anyway, point is that my wife and I are both well educated, eat a better diet than most we know and dairy is an essential ingredient to every day and most meals. If someone, somewhere is claiming it's bad I'd want to know who they used as their survey group. I recently saw a "survey" that said probiotic supplements increased happiness... the ENTIRE group pooled were suffering from bowel issues. Well, d'uh, bowel issues are resolved and of Course someone will feel happier.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:26 AM

32,968 posts, read 36,456,285 times
I really like cheese, so that's pretty much the end of the discussion for me.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:45 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,077,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I really like cheese, so that's pretty much the end of the discussion for me.
For me too. Cheese -- and I mean good cheese -- is really the only dairy that I like.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:56 AM

1,257 posts, read 890,756 times
We eat real cheese, real sour cream, real heavy cream, real butter, my kids drink whole milk.

We’ve never been big on bandwagons and shifty agendas. We eat what we want. We are healthy.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:04 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,248,330 times
If you worry about trying to conform to everyone else's food agenda, you will drive yourself mad and probably starve in the process.

Eat what you want. The people trying to convince you that only they have the key to perfection are eating what they want You have every right to do the same.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:29 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,064,004 times
Stop to consider the many other countries who continue to consume full-fat dairy products day in and day out while maintaining better health and longer life expectancy than here in the US. I would highly recommend ignoring the for-profit diet fads Americans tend to get so wrapped up in, and eat healthy whole foods in moderation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink