Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 11:38 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Capon? Duck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 11:51 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
as others have said you can find turkey that has not been fed soy, but you might pay a price for it. As for chicken, prepare it just like turkey except only roast it about an hour or so, depending on the size. You may want to just check out: roasted chicken on the net. You can find hundreds of recipes. Someone said lamb, again great but a lot of people do not like lamb and it is very pricey. I would try the chicken. I know, even seafood has been suggested.We love seafood but it just isn't Thanksgiving food unless you are a whale, shark or maybe a Pelligan.
That is a great idea! I don't know why I never thought to treat a roasted chicken the way I do with turkey. I've considered the wild turkey or ones without soy but I've found them at least a hundred dollars. I can live without turkey for that type of price.

I love seafood but the family isn't too keen on it. Depending on cost I may take a few of these ideas and incorporate them. Maybe a small lamb for my daughter, chicken for my wife, beef for my son and me, well I have no allergies so a little of everything.

For sides I miss green bean casserole. We can't do it because my wife is allergic to mushrooms. I haven't found an alternative for that yet. I don't know if I already shared but I pretty much have to make everything from scratch.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:23 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post

For sides I miss green bean casserole. We can't do it because my wife is allergic to mushrooms. I haven't found an alternative for that yet. I don't know if I already shared but I pretty much have to make everything from scratch.
I wouldn't eat this because I hate canned green beans, but this recipe uses no canned soup and no mushrooms. https://www.dessertnowdinnerlater.co...ean-casserole/

Here's one with frozen green beans:

Green Bean Casserole - No Canned Onions Or Soup Recipe - Genius Kitchen

And finally one with fresh green beans (for me ) but you would have to leave out the mushrooms:
Best Ever Green Bean Casserole Recipe | Alton Brown | Food Network

Old 11-04-2017, 01:57 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
My family has a severe allergy to soy and since that is what turkeys are fed, we are unable to eat turkey. I've tried a variety of alternatives and just haven't found something that we can use regularly. Ham isn't an option as there are allergies to that too. I've tried chicken and haven't found a good way to prepare it. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what to substitute.
My Mom found traditional turkey meal kinda boring so instead she would BBQ a bunch of steaks and Lobsters.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My Mom found traditional turkey meal kinda boring so instead she would BBQ a bunch of steaks and Lobsters.
When we lived in Florida it was interesting because it's so warm in the winter we wanted BBQ. I never realized that we associate holiday foods with weather.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I wouldn't eat this because I hate canned green beans, but this recipe uses no canned soup and no mushrooms. https://www.dessertnowdinnerlater.co...ean-casserole/

Here's one with frozen green beans:

Green Bean Casserole - No Canned Onions Or Soup Recipe - Genius Kitchen

And finally one with fresh green beans (for me ) but you would have to leave out the mushrooms:
Best Ever Green Bean Casserole Recipe | Alton Brown | Food Network

Great ideas! Yeah, I refuse to eat canned green beans. The sodium levels are insane on so many of the canned items. Frozen is good. Thanks for the ideas! I got to have a traditional Thanksgiving at my mom's last year and she had the green bean casserole. So good! Thanks again!

Old 11-04-2017, 04:36 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I don't care much for turkey and since it's just the two of us I make cornish game hens - can you eat those? Very easy to prepare, just roast in oven with lemon garlic and rosemary. You can find plenty of ideas on the 'net. They are so much juicier and tastier than turkey!

Old 11-04-2017, 05:58 PM

20 posts, read 21,504 times
Goose.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:07 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
We usually go out for Thanksgiving. It has become our tradition (husband's and mine - son is rarely home for Thanksgiving) to get fast food. I always prefer Arby's on Thanksgiving, but this year I might break out of my comfort zone and go with something else, perhaps from McDonald's, or maybe even a gyro! We do the same for Christmas. And this would work for anybody else never.

I like the beef tenderloin suggestion as well - you could always do some lobster along with it (if you can get a hold of it where you live). That meal would make my husband swoon and be VERY thankful!
Mr. CSD and I usually order pizza since it is the two of us.
You & I live a few hours from each other, we should have Thanksgiving together in the middle....

Old 11-05-2017, 12:59 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
That is a great idea! I don't know why I never thought to treat a roasted chicken the way I do with turkey. I've considered the wild turkey or ones without soy but I've found them at least a hundred dollars. I can live without turkey for that type of price.

I love seafood but the family isn't too keen on it. Depending on cost I may take a few of these ideas and incorporate them. Maybe a small lamb for my daughter, chicken for my wife, beef for my son and me, well I have no allergies so a little of everything.

Try cream of broccoli soup instead of cream of mushroom. I forgot to pick up cream of mushroom one time & substituted cream of broccoli, then added mushrooms. I was surprised how good the cream of broccoli was. Add mushrooms to your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink