Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 03:33 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times

Advertisements

You do know that most chicken is fed soy right? Unless you know exactly where the chicken came from, how it was fed, etc.... a lot of chicken(Poultry) feed has soy.

In fact I think it might be easier to find an alternatively fed turkey than it would be chicken ...
(yes per the post above the additives to a bird, like "self basting" etc that can have soy as well)...
You could also go for wild game fowl (speciality meat stores) and get soy free poultry that way..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 03:36 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
This is a link to a duplicate of the beloved NYT roast chicken recipe (which is behind a paywall on the NYT site). Super easy. Very delicious. (use the first recipe in the link)...
That's how we roast chicken. It really does make for a tasty, juicy bird. My only problem with the method is getting rid of the smoke from the chicken fat. We have to crank our vent hood to full turbo.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:51 PM

23,528 posts, read 24,011,889 times
I've prepared chicken, a prime rib roast, a pork loin roast and honey baked ham for Thanksgiving.

Old 11-02-2017, 04:23 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachdiver View Post
Lamb? Crown roast of pork? Prime rib? I like to fix different things- one year we had roast duck at Christmas.
Right!!! Why turkey? I NEVER cook turkey. Don't think much of the meat.
I like meat with defined taste. A nice roast beef, rack of lamb, or lamb roast, pork, duck, or goose will do for me. Or great fish like a sea bass. There are so many delicious things to eat besides turkey and ham...
But then, if you don't know how to cook chicken, you probably would not have much luck with any of the above.
Since we don't know the level of your cooking skills, it's hard to recommend anything ...
BTW: there is an old saying - if you don't know something, ask your wife

You can also just go to Sams, or Costco and get their ready to serve meat. All you need is to reheat it, and make side dishes, and you can still bring some impressive, festive meal on the table...

Old 11-02-2017, 04:36 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Pheasant, goose???

Old 11-02-2017, 06:39 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
We have not had turkey for a few years now. We have fried fish one year and made a lasagna another. Who says you HAVE to have turkey? It's more about spending time with family and friends!

Old 11-02-2017, 08:14 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,491,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
My family has a severe allergy to soy and since that is what turkeys are fed, we are unable to eat turkey. I've tried a variety of alternatives and just haven't found something that we can use regularly. Ham isn't an option as there are allergies to that too. I've tried chicken and haven't found a good way to prepare it. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what to substitute.
I always get requests for my Beef Tenderloin. It's become our Thanksgiving Tradition!

Old 11-02-2017, 08:23 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I always get requests for my Beef Tenderloin. It's become our Thanksgiving Tradition!
Well, yeah. Who in their right mind is gonna turn down beef tenderloin.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:37 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
My family has a severe allergy to soy and since that is what turkeys are fed, we are unable to eat turkey. I've tried a variety of alternatives and just haven't found something that we can use regularly. Ham isn't an option as there are allergies to that too. I've tried chicken and haven't found a good way to prepare it. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what to substitute.
What's wrong with the chicken? You don't really like chicken, or you're not a good cook, or....?

If you do cook well, why not just make your favorite fancy meal, who cares if it's traditional, so long as you like it!

Old 11-02-2017, 09:18 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
is there any way you could get wild turkey so you dont have to worry about the soy and other additives?Ive had wild turkey and it was really good....it might work if you can get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink