Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 08:29 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
ot.

The really sad part is that I know that even if you are just sautéing anything, once cold hits the heated oil you always get a sizzle. That was how I was taught to make pancakes, just a teeny tiny drop of batter to see if the oil was hot. My thinking, although clearly wrong, was that I could cool the oil down faster and finish the job sooner because I was so tired and just wanted to sit down.
Well, you won't do that again. It could have been worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 05:45 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Well, you won't do that again. It could have been worse.
The next day when I was thinking clearly I actually said to DH, OMG, I was so lucky I didn't wind up in the ER with severe burns, especially to my face. Lesson learned cookies now take two days.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:34 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
My mother learned to cook with cast iron over a wood stove. She could pick up hot pans like it was nothing and no burns.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:19 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
My mother learned to cook with cast iron over a wood stove. She could pick up hot pans like it was nothing and no burns.
My mom couldn't feel heat in her right hand. She said it was the result of some sort of chemical accident when she was younger. I grew up watching her grab cast iron and other pans with no fear. It was kind of weird. She did say she had to recognize when her skin was actually burning when she could smell burning flesh!

Old 11-15-2017, 08:28 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
I haven't burned my hands in the conventional oven. But I've occasionally burned my knuckles a bit while pulling things out of the toaster oven.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:15 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I burned myself badly, blisters and lingering pain/burn scars, a couple three times before I started remembering the misery of nursing a burn wound every time I open the oven. Fear of past events is a good reminder.

The worst was when I was a cook and people would take big (huge) sheet pans out of the oven, remove the food, and leave the hot pan just sitting there on one of the prep tables, looking clean, but unbeknownst to me, scorching hot. "Oh, I just need to shift this pan over a couple of inches... YOOOWWWWW!!!!" Since the pans were so heavy, you would really push hard on them to move them thus giving your finger tips a nice sear.

To this day I use towels, as is pretty standard in the professional cooking biz, but sometimes I think I should get some proper oven mitts.

Old 11-16-2017, 03:50 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,549,803 times
Yes, I brushed up a against the handle of a pan I'd just taken out of the oven. The result is that I have a scar that looks like a B2 bomber. LOL I know it's shallow, but sometimes I get bummed when I see the scar because my body is mostly free of scars, but sometimes I look at it and think it's cool.
I keep a potholder on handles now to make sure that doesn't happen again.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:16 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstelm View Post
i usually burn my arms on the rack above what im baking while taking it out
I do that - always the undersides of my forearms. I had an acupuncturist accuse me of being a "cutter" - i was like, "no dude, I'm just a clumsy baker"

Old 11-17-2017, 02:31 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
Just a couple of weeks ago I was cooking pork in the BBQ when it caught fire. I tried to get the burning meat off the fire and it slipped off the tongs and a piece of flaming fat landed on my ankle and foot. Not so painful, but I'll have a nice scar.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:12 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
The other day after I took out the preheated dutch oven and put it on the stove top, lid taken off, I forgot the lid was hot, and used my bare hand to pick up the lid, burned my finger.

Are there tips for preventing burning your hands while doing baking? Of course oven mitts, but what I mean is tips to remember the pot/lid that has been taken out of the oven is still very hot, or any other way to prevent being burned because of lack of attention.
Pro chefs have asbestos fingers.

I've burnt myself so many times I don't even reach for the ice any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink