Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 08:48 AM

137 posts, read 119,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I have always been amused by companies sending coupons/vouchers vs. refunds..."Oh, you think our product is of poor quality? Well, how about a discount on more low-quality product?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 08:57 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Years ago a small shop downtown sold warm caramel corn and also bags of warm pistachio nuts. They were huge, extremely flavorful and I have not had a pistachio since that comes even close. Most of the ones now are very small and a lot dryer in consistency.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:35 AM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
I was going to add that also. And to eat only one cup? I like them so much I'd take down a 1# bag a night if I wouldn't gain weight and could afford them. lol

1 ounce? That's just a tease. lol
Yeah, I can only eat those if I'm busting out an hour of cardio every other day.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-07-2018, 10:44 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I've been a big fan of pistachios for the last couple years - mostly as a relatively low fat snack with the advantages of nuts.

I get the unshelled Wonderful brand in big bags - and I've noticed the quality has gotten much worse over the last 6 months. First it seemed that more and more weren't "opened" and are extremely hard to crack so I'd end up destroying a bunch just trying to get them open. But now many are just plain rotten - dark colored and nasty tasting if you happen to eat one without looking first! Yuck!

What have others noticed? Is there another major brand that is better or is this just off-season or a bad season and all brands are bad right now?

I buy preshelled of the same brand. Good to me and no shelling...

Old 01-07-2018, 03:07 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I buy preshelled of the same brand. Good to me and no shelling...
My main reason for shelling them is to slow me down - I only eat about 30 nuts as a serving (about 100 calories) - otherwise I'd gulp them all down in one handful!

Old 01-07-2018, 04:04 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
I understand...

It's just that any I buy in shell are only 1/2 open enough to get at them...

Old 01-07-2018, 04:48 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I understand...

It's just that any I buy in shell are only 1/2 open enough to get at them...
Yes - that's another major problem! According to "grades" of pistachios the percentage that are open is part of the grade - so good quality pistachios should be mostly open. Also getting hard to find good ones based just on that, it seems.

Old 01-07-2018, 05:43 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Red pistachios - yum! Not quite as big as the modern ones but more flavorful. So your fingernails turned red and people called you names. It was worth the hassle. Sears and Hudson's used to sell them by the pound.
They were red because they were DYED RED in order to hide the brown blotches on them.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:04 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,277,283 times
I bought a bag at my local supermarket and they were all fresh but when I went to Walmart and bought the same brand, they tasted awful. Now I check the bag to make sure that most of the nuts look green.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:00 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
These are—bar none—the very best pistachios you’ll ever find. We learned about these over 20 years ago when we lived in El Paso. We order some at least once a year, as you can put them in the freezer and take some out as needed. I also like to give them as gifts.

Lol! I was actually sitting here at work right now enjoying a quick snack of some of their green chile pistachios.

https://www.heartofthedesert.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink