Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 05:34 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,938 times

Advertisements

When I was a young bride, I "cooked." canned sweet potatoes, huge slice of ham and pineapple slices in my electric skillet. I have been thinking about that meal, recently. Was not at bad at all, and really simple. Guess, baked sweet potatoes, sliced and peeled would work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 08:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Someone I know is making a long-distance move & didn’t want to pack her pantry items. She asked if I wanted her canned goods & I said, free food, of course. She left a boxful on my porch, but there are 2 cans of sweet potatoes in syrup. I’m not a fan of the candied sweet potato/mini-marshmallow thing. Does anyone have ideas for “disguising” the taste & texture? I don’t waste food, but don’t want to schlep 2 small cans over to the food pantry. Plus, I like a challenge. BTW, I like fresh sweet potatoes, spouse hates them in all forms. Thanks for any ideas.
let's face it, sweet potatoes are a love/hate item I think. Other than spoiled brat, myself and one grandson in law on one in our family likes them. In fact they pretty much hate them. I would simply rinse off the ones you have and try to get rid of the syrup. Then heat them, either on top of strove or bake them with butter and a few other spices. I usually mash mine. For spices you can use salt/pepper and a little cinnamon. I also use a little brandy.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:09 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Donate them
This is better than what I was going to suggest.... "Throw them in the trash".

Old 01-17-2018, 02:25 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,579,417 times
Sweet potatoes taste badly enough, but canned?? Ugghhh!!

Old 01-17-2018, 02:26 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Rinse off the syrup and serve them with a dot of butter, mashed or not, as a side dish. Adding peas gives a nice color contrast. You could also mash them with a little of the syrup, add apple slices, cranberries and pecans and make a nice casserole.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:39 PM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
I kinda like to play with food so I'd drain them, mix in chopped onion and spread out in the bottom of a pan/pie plate.

Then I'd add ground chicken, maybe some chopped garlic, veggies (broccoli is my current favorite) and bake.

Add cheese (swiss?) after removing from oven.

It would hopefully be edible.

or make a shepherd's pie and use them on the top instead of white potatoes.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:29 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Donate. I keep hearing there are 16 or 17 million starving children. A bunch of big stars are very concerned. So a donation to the food pantry might cut that number down to 14 or 15 million.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:59 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Someone I know is making a long-distance move & didn’t want to pack her pantry items. She asked if I wanted her canned goods & I said, free food, of course. She left a boxful on my porch, but there are 2 cans of sweet potatoes in syrup. I’m not a fan of the candied sweet potato/mini-marshmallow thing. Does anyone have ideas for “disguising” the taste & texture? I don’t waste food, but don’t want to schlep 2 small cans over to the food pantry. Plus, I like a challenge. BTW, I like fresh sweet potatoes, spouse hates them in all forms. Thanks for any ideas.
Sweet potato muffins. Pretty much any pumpkin recipe can be changed to sweet potato.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:37 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
I should have added...I don’t like sweet potato pie or pumpkin pie, both the flavor & the texture...could they be incorporated into some kind of soup or casserole that is on the savory side?
Yes sweet potato soup is a thing.

But you don't like the flavor of sweet potatoes! LOL

Try it. Sometimes I'll add a potato to a soup as a thickening agent. I just did it yesterday in a fennel apple, onion soup. A white potato not a sweet potato.

I think you'd prefer the muffins. They don't always taste so pumpkin/sweet potato strong to me.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:00 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Thanks for all the ideas. As I said, I like a challenge...and finding different ways to make food that I or spouse don’t care for more palatable, has become like a hobby. Otherwise, I wouldn’t like Brussels sprouts...still working on him with beets, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes