Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 04:52 PM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times

Advertisements

I stopped eating meat two years ago, but I will never forget a favorite lunch from L'express in NYC: A lamb burger with Moroccan spices. So good. So good. Poor lamb, but so good. I worked in the neighborhood and got it every time we went there.

https://www.lexpressnyc.com/

It's still on their menu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 05:49 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,610,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I'll go first.

Homemade aioli (garlic mayonnaise with lemon juice and virgin olive oil).

Pizza (in Italy) with capers and anchovies. (I know - anchovies are major tun off for some). First tasted this when I was 9 and the anchovies may have been fresher/different from the canned kind we get here in the U.S. I still ove the though!

Mussels in creme fraiche (similar to sour cream but a little sweeter) /thyme/wine sauce.

Recipes on request, except for the pizza which I kind of have to improvise with American ingredients.
Baked salmon at Dakota's in NY. Side dishes mashed potatoes (OMG) and broccoli (with something tangy added...lime? OMG). A meal to die for. And I'm not easily impressed (I'm usually fine with a meal as long as it's not raw or burned..otherwise, it's fine).

Old 02-05-2018, 05:51 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,103,500 times
Can I go over 3 please

1. Fried Onion Loaf (from a now defunk restaurant in Atlanta): Paper thin sliced onions that were lightly dusted with a floured seasoning. I miss it so much

2. The first time I had uni (sea urchin - life changing for me. It is so ugly looking and slimy but the flavor to me was sublime)

3. The Grand Marnier Chocolate Souffle at the Red Fish Restaurant in New Orleans. I still dream about that fluffy souffle with the crunchy sugary caramelized crust.

4. Honey Dipped Chicken (also from a defunk restaurant in Atlanta) This was a traditional "meat and three" country restaurant. They would fry their chicken in a pressurized fryer and then drizzle a light (thinned) honey sauce atop. It was the precursor of the non-spicy version of Memphis fried chicken of my childhood.

5. Porchetta - crispy pork skin? - Nuf said

6. Roasted goose: I experienced it the first time I was in China at my parents' province. Smoky, crispy and unctuous goodness!

Now everyone knows the list of my last supper

Old 02-05-2018, 06:10 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,364,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Can I go over 3 please

1. Fried Onion Loaf (from a now defunk restaurant in Atlanta): Paper thin sliced onions that were lightly dusted with a floured seasoning. I miss it so much

2. The first time I had uni (sea urchin - life changing for me. It is so ugly looking and slimy but the flavor to me was sublime)

3. The Grand Marnier Chocolate Souffle at the Red Fish Restaurant in New Orleans. I still dream about that fluffy souffle with the crunchy sugary caramelized crust.

4. Honey Dipped Chicken (also from a defunk restaurant in Atlanta) This was a traditional "meat and three" country restaurant. They would fry their chicken in a pressurized fryer and then drizzle a light (thinned) honey sauce atop. It was the precursor of the non-spicy version of Memphis fried chicken of my childhood.

5. Porchetta - crispy pork skin? - Nuf said

6. Roasted goose: I experienced it the first time I was in China at my parents' province. Smoky, crispy and unctuous goodness!

Now everyone knows the list of my last supper
Of course you can go over three! When I originally posted it was to focus on unforgettable 3 foods/meals folks had eaten. I really don't care if it's 3 or 30. I have been so inspired by the memories everyone has. It's been an education and a joy to hear all the lovely memories.

And I am so hungry to taste the meals/foods you have all shared. I'm going to go smear some homemade aioli on a baguette, top it with (ugh, winter tomatoes) and basil and call it dinner.

I'm longing for many of the foods posted and I swear I will go buy some Dungeness crab (thank goodness I live in Oregon) tomorrow!

All I can say is keep them coming!

Old 02-05-2018, 07:54 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,927,116 times
1. The first time I ever had a Philly cheese steak on garlic bread. WHAT???? OMG. (I'm from Philly)

2. Laurie Colwin's Friday Night Supper chuck roast braised with vegetables run through the food mill for "gravy" not using stock or flour. Life changing. From Home Cooking 1988.

3. The first time my no-knead bread turned out, dipped in Greek Olive Oil, feta, tomatoes, vinegar.

On the other end of the spectrum was when my mother in law had a welcoming party for me and served baby lamb's head with eyes - sliced in half length-wise on a plate - looking up at me next to french fries.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:18 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,720,230 times
King Crab in garlic butter
Pan fried Orange Roughy
Grilled chicken with a Dr. Pepper based BBQ sauce.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:39 PM

666 posts, read 514,397 times
1. I can't remember the name of this dish, but it was at a Thai restaurant some 25 years ago. It was nothing like I'd ever had at any other Thai place where they drown everything in peanut sauce. All I remember is that it was some kind of spicy beef stir fry with mushrooms, brown sauce, baby corn, etc. in a rich brown sauce. This knocked my socks off.
2. French onion soup, with melted cheese on top. Oh, man...that made me a fan for life.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:02 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,364,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
1. The first time I ever had a Philly cheese steak on garlic bread. WHAT???? OMG. (I'm from Philly)

2. Laurie Colwin's Friday Night Supper chuck roast braised with vegetables run through the food mill for "gravy" not using stock or flour. Life changing. From Home Cooking 1988.

3. The first time my no-knead bread turned out, dipped in Greek Olive Oil, feta, tomatoes, vinegar.

On the other end of the spectrum was when my mother in law had a welcoming party for me and served baby lamb's head with eyes - sliced in half length-wise on a plate - looking up at me next to french fries.

Love Laurie Colwin! Googling recipe right now.

Sorry about the lamb's head. Sounds nasty!

Just remembered another revelation - Julia Child's Salade Nicoise recipe - makes any other similar recipe turn red in shame.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:47 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,481,688 times
I Need to add 2!

A Chinese hot/sweet/spicy noodle dish...name unknown, but a friend became good friends with the Chinese family that owned a restaurant in my town. Since he was from NYC and KNEW good Chinese food, they were really taken by him and invited him and a guest (me) for a special meal in the family home adjacent to the restaurant. They made EVERYTHING. From Peking Duck and on and on. Dishes I had certainly never known. One was this noodle dish. Wow! ( I had become a Vegetarian by then, so this impressed me much more than Peking Duck ever could.)

A few years later since that restaurant had closed, I tried to find the dish at another very good Chinese restaurant with no luck, but the owner / chef came to our table and asked me to describe it. He came back with an amazing version, I asked him what it was called so that I could order it the next time and he said, “Noodles just for me.”

I will never forget that dish, nor will I ever forget him. Sadly I never was able to order that dish or any other from his restaurant because he died shortly thereafter. The tale of his death is just too horrible to share on this otherwise happy thread, but I decided all those years ago that I would always tell of how special he was and how special he made me feel. Context.

OP, thank you for this thread!:

As I look at my posts on this thread I see a pattern emerging...the hospitality and graciousness of my Chinese friends, colleagues and acquaintances and simple, good food as well.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:46 AM

30,409 posts, read 52,020,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Also real italian food when in Italy is extremely hard to compete with.
Oh, you're 100% right! I went to Italy years ago, and basically just spent the whole time eating.

Best meal was at a restaurant high up in the hills, overlooking the ENTIRE city of Rome. I ordered the gnocchi "appetizer," and it was so huge, I ended up canceling my entree... soooo delicious, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink