Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 08:23 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,681 times

Advertisements

French dip at a hole in the wall place from my first job when I was 16

New Mexico green chile lunch at a cafe off the highway

best steak I ever had at a family diner in Denver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 09:17 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
Coquilles St Jacques in a restaurant in Montreal. I called the chef out and told him that in his honor I would never eat that meal again.
Aged steak, wet or dry, or Japanese, at Halls Chophouse in Charleston, SC That I would eat every time I felt like I wanted a steak. And twice on Sunday.
Third, since you asked, would be many a meal made by my wife.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:25 PM

94 posts, read 87,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
Fried shrimp brought up to Dallas from the Gulf of Mexico served with their amazing seafood gumbo. I plan on going there this coming week. You pay on the "honor system." As you leave, you tell the person what you ordered and he tells you what you owe. I love Texas.
I am untraveled; I haven't had exotic dishes from other countries like people on here so try not to laugh. I have simple tastes.
Lobster tail dipped in hot butter. This is about the best I can come up with for listing sensational food. Maybe someday...
SusanG, please share with us the name of this restaurant in Dallas! Thank you!

Old 02-04-2018, 11:57 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Hard to narrow it down, but here are a few that come to mind!

- Fresh shish-kebab from a street cart at the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul; we picked our meats and veggies, and they fired it up right there! Also made the pitas fresh, and I swear they were the size of my arm.

- Another street food item, falafel in Jerusalem. It was cooked to perfection, with homemade hummus and potatoes/fries, just as it should have. Only local (Bay Area) place I've found that comes close is Falafel Stop in Sunnyvale, which happens to be Israeli-owned.

- My mother's matzoball soup, with these bread "dumpling" things that don't have a name (great-grandma's recipe); she also makes amazing Swedish meatballs, lol.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:00 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,425,302 times
Jamaican Food while visiting jamaica. The way jamaicans spice their food is amazing.

Also real italian food when in Italy is extremely hard to compete with.

And for some reason I could eat Thai food everyday and not get bored with it. IT's SOOO GOOD.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:17 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
1. Shrimp Francais at a little Italian place near me
2. Filet mignon topped with escargot at a different Italian place near me
3. Chilean Sea Bass topped with a lot of things I don't remember at a restaurant near me

None of them chains - do you see a pattern? :-)

Old 02-05-2018, 08:16 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,045,402 times
scallops

scallops

scallops

I love scallops. You can keep your lobster and crab claws. Although I did make an awesome lamb stew on Saturday, if I do say so.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:24 AM

973 posts, read 914,567 times
Carbonara from a restaurant in Rome right next to the Tiber river. I've had Carbonara before, but this one blew my mind. I think the place was called Da Enzo.

Fried pig ears from this place in Durham, NC. Forgot the name, but it still lingers in my memory.

Dad's beef noodle soup

Mom's meat and potato casserole and her fish, ginger, and chicken gizzard soup.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:47 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,142,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I'll go first.

Homemade aioli (garlic mayonnaise with lemon juice and virgin olive oil).

Pizza (in Italy) with capers and anchovies. (I know - anchovies are major tun off for some). First tasted this when I was 9 and the anchovies may have been fresher/different from the canned kind we get here in the U.S. I still ove the though!

Mussels in creme fraiche (similar to sour cream but a little sweeter) /thyme/wine sauce.

Recipes on request, except for the pizza which I kind of have to improvise with American ingredients.
Nice. I'll go "best by meal," or genre perhaps.

Formal: Lobster and Filet Mignon, several places in Seattle are out of this world: Flavorful lobster with a bit of butter, and a good vegetable side. Filet mignon, medium if you please. Less is more, just a few bites of each. Once per year at-most.

Pizza (frozen and otherwise): less is more; either a frozen Amy's wheat crust cheese and spinach (to die for), or a restaurant thin crust pungent cheese, pepperoni, and mushrooms. Some better than others, I'm a thin crust guy these days.

Breakfast, my favorite meal (and social club for single guys): chicken fried steak, hash browns, scrambled eggs. Again, less is more; gluttony does not win the day here. Very few get this 'staple' perfectly right. I hunt it out, one end of the country to the other. There are slight regional differences. I usually end up taking a second breakfast home from the plate, they serve so much.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:52 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,418,516 times
Sushi
Bacon
Steak tartare prepared to preference tableside, served with toast
Beef Wellington/chateaubriand
Cheese and meat board
Prime rib with Yorkshire pudding
Homemade mashed potatoes with a whole stick or butter, topped with cheese, sour cream and bacon
Wild sockeye salmon
Giant scallops
Lobster dipped in drawn butter
Hungarian fry bread (lángos) doused in garlic from an open air market stall
Bacon
Homemade macaroni and cheese baked with buttered panko on top
Weinerschnitzel (the actual thing, not the pathetic hotdog joint in the US) served with a lemon wedge and rizibizi
Prosciutto
A proper English breakfast, minus the blood pudding
Fresh baked crusty homemade bread slathered with Kerrygold butter
Gundel palacsinta (a crêpe specialty created in Hungary) flambéed tableside
Bacon
Variety is the spice of life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink