Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:58 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times

Advertisements

Sounds like an oxymoron, I know.

I usually lightly dress my pasta in oil and herbs to cut back on excess calories, but mac & cheese is the ultimate comfort food and I get the craving for it a lot.

So I was wondering if anyone knows of any healthy boxed sets or even low-fat cheese sauces that taste okay? I make Annie's organic brand sometimes, but I wasn't sure if there were better options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 05:54 AM

119 posts, read 546,019 times
While my mom doesn't make a true "low fat" option, for her baked mac and cheese she makes a white sauce for baking the noodles in with a layer of cheese on top(recipies are all over, it's basically a little bit of butter, little bit of flour, dash of salt, and a decent amount of milk). You could make one of those with skim milk, I'm not sure if you could substitute some fat free butter option instead of the butter, but make that low fat and then use a very strong cheese sparingly on top, a little extra sharp cheddar, a dash of parm, and a bit of another strong cheese so that you have that big strong yummy flavor, with the warm creamy noodles and sauce that makes it such a comfort.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:04 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,487,108 times
actually, there is a recipe on food network that uses squash as one of the ingredients. it's by Ellie Kreiger and it's titled Macaroni and 4 cheeses. looks easy enough to make yourself...

Old 03-24-2008, 12:10 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,573 times
And instead of using white pasta use brown rice pasta. It is made entirely of brown rice & tastes just like the white pasta only it is better for you.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
And instead of using white pasta use brown rice pasta. It is made entirely of brown rice & tastes just like the white pasta only it is better for you.
YES! Barilla has the "brown" pasta, costs the same at walmart as the white

Old 03-24-2008, 08:45 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
I usually use the Barilla Plus or whatever it's called (where it tastes the same as white pasta, but has the benefits of whole grain).

Thanks for your suggestions!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:05 PM
b75

Yes there is barilla plus pasta however I am actually referring to something different which is actually healthier imo. The name of the brand is Tinkyada and it is pasta made completely out of brown rice. It is actually sold at some supermarkets & many health food stores. You can also buy it online even via Amazon. It tastes the same as white pasta but is actually brown rice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I usually use the Barilla Plus or whatever it's called (where it tastes the same as white pasta, but has the benefits of whole grain).

Thanks for your suggestions!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:08 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I use whole wheat pasta now. Since I discovered a food allergy some research has shown me that NONE of the boxed stuff is healthy for you with all the preservatives and coloring they have in it.

You can use low fat cheese, margarine and low fat cheese. Some cheeses are naturally low fat.

check out Food Network : Healthy Recipe Collections, Party Ideas, Quick & Easy Recipes, Giada Delaurentis with Everyday Italian has some good recipes.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:38 PM
b75

The brown rice pasta is not boxed & is made only of brown rice. And actually the good thing about the brown rice is that people who need a gluten free diet can eat it as well.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:26 AM

i have never heard of a pasta made of brown rice. i will have to look for that one. the one i use is not Barilla plus, but Barilla whole wheat i think,,,,plus is still white, the other one is actually brown, but in a blue box...
anyway, any one of these options would be great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink