Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 07:44 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times

Advertisements

I want my old Cuisinart back!

My Cuisinart died of old age and it was not save to operate anymore. So I replaced it with the 11-cup and replaced it again and yesterday it decided to quite. Hopefully Kohl's honors the 100% guarantee.

I do not use it much anymore. Once a week fresh breads crumbs, occasionally shredding cheese or pulsing a batch of streusel/biscuit dough. Mainly for two.

What are your suggestions and experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 08:08 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,128,829 times
I found a new, older model Cuisinart food processor on Amazon a while back and grabbed it up. Love.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:20 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Or you could try one of the small food choppers if it's 2 people...

Old 07-28-2018, 04:15 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,136 times
Not a food processor, but I purchased a Craftsman rolling tool tote made of plastic 30 years ago. After 25 years the extension handle broke. I went and purchased a new one. Although it was a Craftsman, it was made in China. Within a month the extension handle locking mechanism broke. I decided, since at 350 lbs I could stand on my old one (I have lost over 100 lbs since then) I just made a new 2 piece handle out of PVC and it is back in service. I wouldn't dare try standing on the new one and no longer have it.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:38 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Most kitchen gadgets are 'useless crap,' says Alton Brown. Here's what you really need:

Alton Brown on the

Old 07-28-2018, 04:49 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
I have a small KitchenAid food processor, the one that sells for about $100. I'm cooking for four, so I could use a bigger one. Otherwise, it does everything I need it to do. I never used to bother getting out the food processor to chop veggies or grate cheese, but I've got arthritis in my hands now and it's nice to let the machine do the work.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:07 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
Here's a review site that has some helpful info (2017 reviews): https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/10/...nt-review.html

Old 07-28-2018, 05:08 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Most kitchen gadgets are 'useless crap,' says Alton Brown. Here's what you really need:

Alton Brown on the
He’s wrong. I need more than good knives and pans. I can never get my nuts tiny enough to suit me for olive nut spread using a knife but my little chopper minces any nut I have in mere minutes with three or four little push downs. I can’t tell you how many times I have nicked a finger trying to julienne carrot matchsticks while my salad shooter spits those things out perfectly shaped without any physical peril. And what knife would I use to spirilize squash?

Gadgets and machines are fun in a kitchen, provided you have the money and space for them. Not everyone can get the same results with the same knife, the reason chefs pride themselves in their knife work magic is because it is a rare talent, but a food processor nicely makes up for lacking ability.

All that said, most items that used to be considered durable, once in a lifetime purchases that you could pass down, no longer are being made. The set of pots and pans I got for my wedding decades ago are in better shape than the set with the same manufacture’s name my great niece received less than a couple of years ago. Quality has gone down, but so has the price. Her set cost almost the same as mine, given inflation it should have cost much, much more. Items cost us less dearly, we shouldn't be surprised they aren’t as good.

He is right that the truly good stuff is going to cost a lot more - and most people opt for the cheaper version.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Alton Brown on the
I love Alton Brown but I have to admit I love all my kitchen gadgets just as much. I think the perfect example was making our yearly supply of salsa a few weeks ago. With out my 16 cup processor, which, btw is a Cuisinart it would take us for even to do all the chopping of onions, cillantro, hot peppers, etc. Not to mention chopping the tomatoes and the possibility of burnt hands even wearing gloves. I only use it about twice a year, but would be lost without it. I use a lot of other kitchen gadgets as well.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:35 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
I bought my first Cuisinart in 1979, when there were only two models. I bought the heavier, more expensive CFP-5. I used it for everything I possibly could (pie & tart crust; mayonnaise; guacamole; salsa; pesto; cake batter; pates; dips) until it finally died more than 20 years later.

Someone gave me the DLC-10 PLUS model as a replacement. I hated the way the new lid fit on the bowl, so I continued using my old lid and bowl, which fit perfectly on the newer model (both 7 cups). I have never looked back. If this one dies before I do, I will buy another CFP-5, probably on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...stax&_osacat=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink