Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2018, 12:44 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times

Advertisements

I was shopping for Dutch mustard, and it was over $1/oz at Amazon. I whined about it on Facebook, and a nice lady pointed me to a Dutch store. They have some interesting stuff, including ginger jelly.

The Dutch Store

No, I don't work for them or get kickbacks. It's just an interesting source for foods that are hard to find in the US. They also have Indonesian flavors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 02:20 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,100,522 times
Thanks for posting this. Nice selection of real licorice.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:20 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Here is another source of hard-to-find mustards from Europe:

https://mustardmuseum.com/

Old 10-06-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Here is another source of hard-to-find mustards from Europe:

https://mustardmuseum.com/
Thanks for the link to an even broader selection of mustards. I have experimented with making my own in the past, but didn't really know what I was doing. I have a KitchenAid flour mill, so fresh grinding mustard seed is simple. Mostly I have tried sweet hot mustard for the holidays, and have managed some that was edible but not great.

You inspired me to do a little web surfing, and I found this overview of how various mustards are made.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/...ole-grain.html

Old 10-07-2018, 01:50 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Thanks for the link to an even broader selection of mustards. I have experimented with making my own in the past, but didn't really know what I was doing. I have a KitchenAid flour mill, so fresh grinding mustard seed is simple. Mostly I have tried sweet hot mustard for the holidays, and have managed some that was edible but not great.

You inspired me to do a little web surfing, and I found this overview of how various mustards are made.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/...ole-grain.html

Back in 2013 and 2014, I was one of the judges for the International Mustard Competition, which involved trying 200+ mustards over the course of a weekend. All the mustards that we judged were commercially produced mustards around the world.

What is ironic is that the eventual mustard that on a recent trip to Cincinnati, I found the winner of the 2013 competition in the bargain bin at Jungle Jim's. I bought all that they had and sent it to my friends who had also judged the contest.

If you have any questions, contact Barry Levenson at the Mustard Museum as he knows about as much about mustards as anyone does.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:14 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Well, I am curious about the taste of Dutch mustard. Sour, semi-sweet, grainy, vinegary? Please let us know why you seek it out. I like Gulden’s mustard best. But I have an open mind about mustard.

How is Dutch mustard distinctive?

Old 10-09-2018, 04:13 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Default .

This thread has awakened a craving for this delicious sweet and spicy Bavarian mustard my brother brought home from Germany over 20 years ago!

He remembers it also, and think it was called ‘Bratwurst Mustard,’ although I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything here labeled as such. I think I ate it all with carved ham sandwiches with tomato on lightly toasted sourdough. Of course I don’t remember the brand.

Being pregnant is a ***** sometimes.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, I am curious about the taste of Dutch mustard. Sour, semi-sweet, grainy, vinegary? Please let us know why you seek it out. I like Gulden’s mustard best. But I have an open mind about mustard.

How is Dutch mustard distinctive?
It's a whole grain mustard that is ground very fine, so it has a smooth texture. They use dark seeds, so it is spicy and flavorful.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I was shopping for Dutch mustard, and it was over $1/oz at Amazon. I whined about it on Facebook, and a nice lady pointed me to a Dutch store. They have some interesting stuff, including ginger jelly.

The Dutch Store

No, I don't work for them or get kickbacks. It's just an interesting source for foods that are hard to find in the US. They also have Indonesian flavors.
Thanks for the info. Though I may not use the information I am sure a lot of others will. we all appreciate when we can share with others. Thanks again.

Actually the more you post about this, the more I might take a look and even order some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink