Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 09:37 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Last year we traveled and ate other peoples' food. This year we're hosting a big Thanksgiving dinner with all the fixin's here for about ten people - eight family members plus my husband and myself.

My daughter and I like to have a little theme going though we want traditional food. This year we decided on a "Midcentury Modern" theme. So we're throwing in a few "midcentury" side dishes - for instance, green bean casserole (which her husband loves), Watergate salad (which my husband loves) and I just ordered a vintage Jello mold from eBay and I'm going to make a cranberry/cherry fancy schmancy Jello thingie! Yay! I also just put together a great playlist of songs from that era - Henry Mancini, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, Frankie Valley, Ella Fitzgerald, Ray Charles, you name it - I even found some 1960s TV show themes - Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, and Hawaii 5-0 among others. WOOHOOOO!!! We have some vintage aprons and we'll wear them too! I am going to print off and frame that Norman Rockwell painting of Thanksgiving dinner and put it somewhere in the kitchen or dining room.

Jello thingies are so good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 10:34 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I'm with the stuffing folks! And my own turkey gravy with mashed Yukon golds. Cousin Barb's oatmeal buns.

The best part of all is what Dogboa mentions - the when-it's-all-over sandwich with my feet up.

My funny Thanksgiving story among many. Years ago when my hippy dippy daughter was following the band Phish all over the country she arrived home the day after Thanksgiving with several carloads of friends, most of whom I knew. I had anticipated and there were plenty of leftovers, including stuffing.

There was one guy with them who caught my attention. He didn't seem to fit in but he was welcome, too. There were markers of having spent time in prison and I kept a watchful eye. She was a good judge of character and her friends were my friends.

Prison Guy really like my stuffing. In fact he enjoyed it so much he ate the rest of it up.

As they were all leaving he announced that now he was going to the Sal for another turkey dinner and that that would be his third of the holiday.

Daughter asked her friends, "Who was that?" Nobody knew. "I thought he was with you!"

We still don't know how he found out about free dinner at my house. Loose lips sink ships.

Daughter never forgave me for allowing him to eat all the stuffing!

Old 11-06-2018, 11:08 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm with the stuffing folks! And my own turkey gravy with mashed Yukon golds. Cousin Barb's oatmeal buns.

The best part of all is what Dogboa mentions - the when-it's-all-over sandwich with my feet up.

My funny Thanksgiving story among many. Years ago when my hippy dippy daughter was following the band Phish all over the country she arrived home the day after Thanksgiving with several carloads of friends, most of whom I knew. I had anticipated and there were plenty of leftovers, including stuffing.

There was one guy with them who caught my attention. He didn't seem to fit in but he was welcome, too. There were markers of having spent time in prison and I kept a watchful eye. She was a good judge of character and her friends were my friends.

Prison Guy really like my stuffing. In fact he enjoyed it so much he ate the rest of it up.

As they were all leaving he announced that now he was going to the Sal for another turkey dinner and that that would be his third of the holiday.

Daughter asked her friends, "Who was that?" Nobody knew. "I thought he was with you!"

We still don't know how he found out about free dinner at my house. Loose lips sink ships.

Daughter never forgave me for allowing him to eat all the stuffing!

LOL...glad all he did was eat the stuffing.

My favorite too...my grandmother's recipe

Old 11-06-2018, 02:41 PM

127 posts, read 95,054 times
Cornbread stuffing made with sage sausage, followed by leftovers consisting of grilled turkey sandwiches with sharp cheddar cheese on sourdough bread.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Being a VIP at the Dallas Cowboys game!
I know some people who will be there too - but I don't expect you to find them - LOL!

My husband and I scored seats in a VIP section in the new Cowboys stadium a few years ago. It was really a fun day. Very different experience, eating a buffet, watching a wall of TVs, being close enough to nearly touch a celebrity as they walked by - a birds' eye view, though we basically ended up watching the TV(s) anyway. I especially liked the VIP parking!

I know you will have a blast. Hope the Boys win. Wait - they're not playing the Saints are they? LOL No that's the next week. Whew. The Saints are playing the Falcons so they SHOULD win on Thanksgiving but YA NEVER KNOW WITH THEM.

The next week, my husband and I will have our usual showdown. The last time we watched the two teams play, my husband had to eat crow but I have to admit that I've eaten some crow myself over the years. I am a Cowboys fan...unless they're playing the Saints. Or Aints - sometimes they're playing them.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:53 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
My kids also love stuffing, I’m looking forward to see both of them at the same place at one.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:55 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,942 times
Seeing my sons their wives, and my only, new granddaughter! First girl in the family!
My wife's cooking is always delicious!

Old 11-06-2018, 03:02 PM

1,051 posts, read 796,929 times
We're hosting this year but we have three families.
- Looking forward to splitting the cooking 3 ways; doing everything is a logistical nightmare.
- Also being able to use my new outdoor kitchen for certain dishes.
- Great food, great wine, great friends!!

Old 11-06-2018, 03:03 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
My sugar-free pumpkin mousse. Spousal Unit's smoked turkey. Sister's cranberry salad. Cornbread dressing with jalapeños. Cider gravy. Roasted and/or grilled vegetables. Everything cooked before the day; just heat 'em up.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:12 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
pumpkin pie and cherry pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink