U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
4,350 posts, read 4,388,143 times
Reputation: 15376

Advertisements

I've noticed that restaurants apparently expect you to leave a tip for just picking up a take out meal. When you insert the credit card, the screen pops up expecting a tip; 15% or 20% or ??? Zero is not a pick.

WTF?

That annoys me. Does it annoy you too?

Do you tip the grocery store cashier or the the gas station clerk too?

 
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Central New Jersey
1,613 posts, read 565,030 times
Reputation: 2787
Yeah, I don't tip if I'm ordering pickup. Businesses around here, some of them, say no tips allowed. They just happy to receive your business.
 
Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Tx
319 posts, read 267,990 times
Reputation: 294
I agree, this places the customer is an uncomfortable situation. I feel this takes away the true meaning of a tip. Also the counter help isn't doing anything extra trying to earn a tip. Still we have the option to check yes or no. Just for the record I agree with tipping just not in this case
 
Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
7,940 posts, read 8,521,642 times
Reputation: 11665
You tip for the service the server provides. Handing me a plastic bag with take out food in containers is a business transaction. Not a dining experience. Does one tip the cashier at Safeway or Target? Question answered.
 
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM
 
1,966 posts, read 3,323,942 times
Reputation: 3421
I tip 10% for take-out.

I am trusting them to take my order correctly, submit it to the kitchen for preparation, and follow-up to ensure it is ready at the time promised. Not as complicated as waiting on tables with its additional demands, so I tip half as much.
 
Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
 
Location: The Outer Limits
877 posts, read 1,538,125 times
Reputation: 1294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I've noticed that restaurants apparently expect you to leave a tip for just picking up a take out meal. When you insert the credit card, the screen pops up expecting a tip; 15% or 20% or ??? Zero is not a pick.

WTF?

That annoys me. Does it annoy you too?

Do you tip the grocery store cashier or the the gas station clerk too?
While paying for a take out order I was recently told at a Steak & Shake I could leave a tip or just press the Green button ( enter ),
Of course I pressed the Green button.
Can you imagine, tipping for take out.
I mentioned on another thread, during all my years working on electrical service calls to people's homes, I never was offered a tip, and didn't expect one.
 
Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM
 
10,551 posts, read 4,149,761 times
Reputation: 14783
Tips long ago were for exceptional service, not normal service you should expect from someone or any business. Somehow, the food service industry expanded this to be included with all meals and it's now expected and out of control. They might as well just raise the prices which is really what they did anyway.
 
Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM
 
9,610 posts, read 4,813,926 times
Reputation: 6326
I’m sure there’s a way to bypass, just ask. Otherwise find another eatery.
 
Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM
 
Location: VT; previously MD & NJ
1,796 posts, read 1,062,977 times
Reputation: 5120
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Tips long ago were for exceptional service, not normal service you should expect from someone or any business. Somehow, the food service industry expanded this to be included with all meals and it's now expected and out of control. They might as well just raise the prices which is really what they did anyway.
It's expected because food servers do not get the same minimum wage as other workers. That's why we are expected to tip. Yes, I agree it's an old custom that should be fixed, but until the federal law is changed, I don't see restaurants raising anyone's wages. They will continue to depend on tips.

From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage

Quote:
The United States of America federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees that receive at least $30 per month in tips.[4] If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any week, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate.[5] As of May 2017, the average hourly wage including tips for a restaurant employee in the United States that received tip income was $11.82.[6]
 
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM
 
10,551 posts, read 4,149,761 times
Reputation: 14783
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
It's expected because food servers do not get the same minimum wage as other workers. That's why we are expected to tip. Yes, I agree it's an old custom that should be fixed, but until the federal law is changed, I don't see restaurants raising anyone's wages. They will continue to depend on tips.

From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage
Agree, and that's part of what I wanted to say. Restaurants learned they didn't have to pay a decent wage to their employees because customers did it for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top