Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 02:11 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,907,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I was at the Kosher aisle at my supermarket trying to figure out the best Jewish dessert to try. This aisle intrigues me because I presume the products are carefully prepared with quality ingredients. No gluten or pork.

I'm on a strict lean diet to maintain lean abs. But I want to try a Chocolate Babka. Good choice?
Nothing made with flour and sugar belongs on a "strict lean diet." And neither "Jewish" nor "Kosher" implies "gluten-free." Save the chocolate (or any other) babka for your cheat day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 03:55 AM

1,560 posts, read 1,163,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Rugalach - a pastry filled with preserves, usually apricot, is vey good.
Oy vey.

That's some Freudian typo Sheena! ;-)

Old 11-13-2018, 04:55 AM

5,848 posts, read 6,199,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Oh, and please get me some Hamentashan -- prune or apricot -- either one will do. Not keen on poppy.
Hamentashen is my favorite. Apricot or Raspberry. Like you, I'm not too keen on the poppy. I always make it for my kids at Purim, and they want fillings like chocolate Don't get me wrong, I love chocolate, just not in Hamentashen.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:36 AM

1,381 posts, read 620,249 times
Quote:
I was at the Kosher aisle at my supermarket trying to figure out the best Jewish dessert to try. This aisle intrigues me because I presume the products are carefully prepared with quality ingredients. No gluten or pork.

I'm on a strict lean diet to maintain lean abs. But I want to try a Chocolate Babka. Good choice?

My 2 favorites, Kugel and Babka French Toast. In Spain the latter is eaten warm as a dessert, with a scoop of van i/c on the side and it's amazing.

Everything is a good choice if eaten in moderation, so my doc tells me

Old 11-13-2018, 06:03 AM

20,951 posts, read 28,477,125 times
First of all Jewish is a religion, secondly it's an Eastern European dessert and my Grandmother who was a Polish catholic made it often when we were kids. How is Babka or any dessert good for someone who wants lean abs? LOL BTW I love Chocolate Babka.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:06 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,116,362 times
Now im not jewish but love jewish food . My mothers mother my grandma Minnie was 1/2 Russian and 1/2 Jewish and she would make kruegal and matzo balls and kreplach and my mother never ever learned how to do any jewish cooking . Oh and don't get me started on potato pancakes with sour cream . Grand Minnie ( she preferred that over grandma ) that woman god rest her soul could cook like no ones business . I miss her so much .

Old 11-13-2018, 06:46 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,484,569 times
Quote:

Trader Joe's sells a Brooklyn Chocolate Babka that's a candidate for a controlled substance list.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:13 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,468,950 times
Quote:

Wherever did you get the notion that Gluten wasn't Kosher?

Old 11-13-2018, 09:45 AM

14,358 posts, read 11,752,437 times
It occurs to me that the OP may have confused "Jewish" with "gluten-free" because of the special unleavened foods that are eaten at Passover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Many people make their pie crusts with leaf lard. In addition, there are a number of Mexican pastries that also are made with lard.

Increasingly, bacon is being incorporated into a number of sweet applications including doughnuts.
I'm sure there are still people who use lard for homemade pie crusts, and I certainly don't have a problem with that, but it would be difficult to find a product in a standard American supermarket that used lard. It's been considered a no-no for so long that most bakeries just don't use it.

I'm aware of bacon on doughnuts and such as a current trend; I've had cupcakes with bacon at specialty shops. My statement that desserts are 99.9% pork-free was obviously an exaggeration. But the point was that the vast majority of standard baked goods in any supermarket are NOT going to contain pork products and it's not necessary to peruse the Jewish foods aisle to find them.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:58 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,128,388 times
Rugelach. Yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink