Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 07:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

A friend needs a recipe for non dairy, homemade ice cream. She has one of those old fashioned electrics, not the newer sorts that sit on the counter. I’ve searched the net, but the coconut cream vegan recipes use the newer sort of machine.

It seems to that the process is similiar. You chil the freezing container, and you also freeze the ice cream base, then you spoon the base into the chilled bowl and churn.

Does anyone have experience making coconut cream ice cream, especially with reference to an old fashioned cream churn?

I’d aporeciate any insight you can provide. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 07:19 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
I thought I could help until I saw non-dairy.

I have a very simple coconut ice cream recipe that's as easy as can be and delicious but uses milk and cream.

If things change just holler.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:47 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I thought I could help until I saw non-dairy.

I have a very simple coconut ice cream recipe that's as easy as can be and delicious but uses milk and cream.

If things change just holler.
Not to steal the thread - will you please share the recipe? Thank you.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Not to steal the thread - will you please share the recipe? Thank you.
No problem! I wish I could remember where I got it from, had to be a newspaper or the internet. Been making it 7-8 years now and it's always received good reviews.

Coconut Ice Cream
1 cup milk
One 15 oz can sweetened cream of coconut
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups tightly packed sweetened coconut flakes *
1 Tbsp Bacardi Gold
Place the coconut cream and milk in a blender/processor and blend thoroughly.
Stir in the cream, rum, and coconut flakes.
Chill the mixture thoroughly.
Pour the mixture into the bowl of the ice-cream machine and freeze.
Makes about 1 quart.

*I don't measure the coconut, I put it on a cutting board and chop it with a knife a few times, it has less tendency to clump if the flakes are a bit smaller. When the churning mixture starts thickening I just gradually add it until it looks like about the right amount. I have the feeling 1 1/2 cups may be a bit much.

For variety I sometimes toast the coconut flakes and/or add mini chocolate chips.

It's ridiculously easy considering the delicious result!

Old 07-17-2018, 03:06 PM

560 posts, read 848,855 times
Quote:
No problem! I wish I could remember where I got it from, had to be a newspaper or the internet. Been making it 7-8 years now and it's always received good reviews.

Coconut Ice Cream
1 cup milk
One 15 oz can sweetened cream of coconut
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups tightly packed sweetened coconut flakes *
1 Tbsp Bacardi Gold
Place the coconut cream and milk in a blender/processor and blend thoroughly.
Stir in the cream, rum, and coconut flakes.
Chill the mixture thoroughly.
Pour the mixture into the bowl of the ice-cream machine and freeze.
Makes about 1 quart.

*I don't measure the coconut, I put it on a cutting board and chop it with a knife a few times, it has less tendency to clump if the flakes are a bit smaller. When the churning mixture starts thickening I just gradually add it until it looks like about the right amount. I have the feeling 1 1/2 cups may be a bit much.

For variety I sometimes toast the coconut flakes and/or add mini chocolate chips.

It's ridiculously easy considering the delicious result!
And not to continue stealing the thread... but WOW that sounds good! We'll be giving it a try this weekend - thanks!

Old 07-17-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDreams View Post
And not to continue stealing the thread... but WOW that sounds good! We'll be giving it a try this weekend - thanks!

Great! Let us know what you think! I've made other ice creams that are a lot more work with making a custard base, etc., I think you'll find this one ridiculously easy and well worth the effort.

And I don't want to steal the thread either but for those into ice cream making I can highly recommend checking your local library for a book titled: The Perfect Scoop

Old 07-17-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
A friend needs a recipe for non dairy, homemade ice cream. She has one of those old fashioned electrics, not the newer sorts that sit on the counter. I’ve searched the net, but the coconut cream vegan recipes use the newer sort of machine.

It seems to that the process is similiar. You chil the freezing container, and you also freeze the ice cream base, then you spoon the base into the chilled bowl and churn.

Does anyone have experience making coconut cream ice cream, especially with reference to an old fashioned cream churn?

I’d aporeciate any insight you can provide. Thanks!

Sorry if we've gone a bit astray, I don't know that you'll find a recipe for ice cream that's non-dairy, I did however do a search for 'coconut sorbet' and there are a number of recipes out there. I haven't tried any of them but I noticed a number of them rated five stars. Perhaps you'll find something among them that will suit your friend's needs.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:18 PM

There are many recipes online for ice cream made with canned coconut cream. The rub is, she needs a recipe tailored to her old fashioned ice cream maker, not the newer counter top models.

I suspect the recipes would work in the old fashioned churn, although they would not fill the container, and there might be a discrepancy with the amount of time you need to freeze the container before churning.

I checked one manufacturer for recipes, but the only recipes they had were for cream or dairy based desserts.

So, I was hoping someone here had some experience with this.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
There are many recipes online for ice cream made with canned coconut cream. The rub is, she needs a recipe tailored to her old fashioned ice cream maker, not the newer counter top models.

I suspect the recipes would work in the old fashioned churn, although they would not fill the container, and there might be a discrepancy with the amount of time you need to freeze the container before churning.

I checked one manufacturer for recipes, but the only recipes they had were for cream or dairy based desserts.

So, I was hoping someone here had some experience with this.

I've never worked with one of the old-fashioned machines but have never seen recipes specifying a particular type machine need be used. I don't know whether rock salt and ice results in a much different temperature than the canisters that go in a home freezer and the churning is the same principle of keeping the ice crystals small and putting some air into the mix. As far as the quantity of the mix the recipe could always be scaled up to suit. It might be worth a call to the customer service department of the manufacturer of her machine, they should know whether any recipe that works in a canister will work in her machine.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I've never worked with one of the old-fashioned machines but have never seen recipes specifying a particular type machine need be used. I don't know whether rock salt and ice results in a much different temperature than the canisters that go in a home freezer and the churning is the same principle of keeping the ice crystals small and putting some air into the mix. As far as the quantity of the mix the recipe could always be scaled up to suit. It might be worth a call to the customer service department of the manufacturer of her machine, they should know whether any recipe that works in a canister will work in her machine.
Good idea. Of course it might be such an old machine— I’ll pass this suggestion on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink