Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 07:33 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Ok, I just finished my final shopping list, and that makes this thread a bad idea, because I know y'all will come up with a bunch of stuff I want to make instead.

We have been playing musical chairs with guests, 3 of our small group can't make it, which is good because now we do not have to start the turkey the night before in order to have it ready for the early dinner they needed. So we have a group of 7, which includes one set of neighbors.

Our other neighbors are cooking dinner too, so all of them will come over here for a bit, and then we will all go over there for a bit.

Anyway... here's the menu:

Lychee stuff with cream cheese/candied ginger/sherry
Spinach/arugula with gorganzola/apples/pecans/cranberries and Dijon dressing
Biscuits (NOT home made, I wouldn't do that to guests), and cranberry/orange/honey butter
Traditional stuffing
mashed potatoes and home made gravy (one day I will get it how I want it. Maybe this year?)
Green bean casserole (from scratch!)
Smoked turkey
assorted pies and booze
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 05:30 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,083,467 times
Smoked turkey (ordered some peach splits for smoking), sweet potatoes (Bananas Foster style), dressing and Brussel sprouts. I will have a can of cranberry jelly in the fridge for the sandwiches later on.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Very traditional here.

Smoked turkey
Spiral cut honey baked ham
Green bean casserole (son in law's request)
"MiMi corn" (shoepeg corn, chilis, pimentos, cream cheese - fabulous!)
Homemade cornbread dressing
Giblet gravy
Mashed potatoes (grandchild request)
Sweet potato casserole
Cranberry sauce
Crescent rolls

For dessert:

Pumpkin pie
Pecan pie
Buttermilk pie
Copious amounts of fresh whipped cream for whatever!

Iced tea
Some sort of white wine
Coffee

Old 11-16-2018, 08:56 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
I love these Thanksgiving threads!

One of our adult sons is flying in from the coast and he always wants the traditional foods, so that's what we're having.

Heavy appetizers early, really lunch: Bulgogi and cream cheese egg rolls, roasted shrimp, crudites.
Dinner: Turkey, cornbread & sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, grandma's sweet potato casserole (lightened up), green beans with mushrooms and onions, carrots in mustard sauce (other grandma's recipe), cranberry sauce (jellied and homemade), hubby's rolls, cooked apples.
Dessert: Pies with whipped cream. Son requested apple and I like pecan. Hubby makes these so we'll see what we get.
Drinks: Cider and wine.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:41 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Turkey
Mom's traditional stuffing
Mashed sweet potatoes
roasted asparagus
Roasted Brussel sprouts balsamic vinegar and bacon
Regular potato pie
Assortment of homemade breads
Green bean casserole
Canned cranberries
Gravy
this year our foods are a little different due to certain dietary needs but that's ok because everything we are having I like anyway plus they are not laden with fat and grease because I need cut back. (even though I like fattening Thanksgiving foods LOL)

Old 11-16-2018, 04:48 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
My sister in law does the dinner and I do the desserts.

Desserts will be:

pumpkin pie
ginger-mascarpone icebox cake
maybe rum cake

Old 11-16-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
My sister in law does the dinner and I do the desserts.

Desserts will be:

pumpkin pie
ginger-mascarpone icebox cake
maybe rum cake

Tell me MORE!!!!!

Old 11-16-2018, 05:10 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ok, I just finished my final shopping list, and that makes this thread a bad idea, because I know y'all will come up with a bunch of stuff I want to make instead.

We have been playing musical chairs with guests, 3 of our small group can't make it, which is good because now we do not have to start the turkey the night before in order to have it ready for the early dinner they needed. So we have a group of 7, which includes one set of neighbors.

Our other neighbors are cooking dinner too, so all of them will come over here for a bit, and then we will all go over there for a bit.

Anyway... here's the menu:

Lychee stuff with cream cheese/candied ginger/sherry
Spinach/arugula with gorganzola/apples/pecans/cranberries and Dijon dressing
Biscuits (NOT home made, I wouldn't do that to guests), and cranberry/orange/honey butter
Traditional stuffing
mashed potatoes and home made gravy (one day I will get it how I want it. Maybe this year?)
Green bean casserole (from scratch!)
Smoked turkey
assorted pies and booze

I really like your menu. The salad you are preparing is one of my favorites, and the stuffing sounds delicious. Now I'm thinking of adding bicuits with cranberry orange honey butter. I've had something similar at restaurants, but I haven't made it at home. Could you share the recipe?

How many and what type of pies?

I'm still working out the details. I'm serving wine with dinner, and I've decided to make one coctail that everyone will enjoy. Something "Thanksgiving-y". I am still working on the details. I want to serve it from a piture, I don't feel like playing "bar maid", so I'll offer wine, beer and one coctail.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I really like your menu. The salad you are preparing is one of my favorites, and the stuffing sounds delicious. Now I'm thinking of adding bicuits with cranberry orange honey butter. I've had something similar at restaurants, but I haven't made it at home. Could you share the recipe?

How many and what type of pies?

I'm still working out the details. I'm serving wine with dinner, and I've decided to make one coctail that everyone will enjoy. Something "Thanksgiving-y". I am still working on the details. I want to serve it from a piture, I don't feel like playing "bar maid", so I'll offer wine, beer and one coctail.
Someone had posted a pear salad earlier, and that inspired me, though I went sans pears because they are problematic here (I can't wait to move back to CONUS!!!!!)

I am making a pumpkin pie, with fresh whipped cream. Two other people will buy pies, I put in a request for something chocolate, and a pumpkin / haupia pie that is locally made.

I will probably make this recipe for the butter: Cran-Orange Honey Butter | Eat It & Say Yum

Two of my favorite recipes from prior years:

Cabernet-Cranberry Sauce with Figs https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...-figs-51138020

COCONUT BOURBON SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH PECANS https://cookingbride.com/side-dishes...ato-casserole/

What about a pot of mulled wine that can be served from the stove? Did that one year and it was pretty popular.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:36 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I love these Thanksgiving threads!

One of our adult sons is flying in from the coast and he always wants the traditional foods, so that's what we're having.

Heavy appetizers early, really lunch: Bulgogi and cream cheese egg rolls, roasted shrimp, crudites.
Dinner: Turkey, cornbread & sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, grandma's sweet potato casserole (lightened up), green beans with mushrooms and onions, carrots in mustard sauce (other grandma's recipe), cranberry sauce (jellied and homemade), hubby's rolls, cooked apples.
Dessert: Pies with whipped cream. Son requested apple and I like pecan. Hubby makes these so we'll see what we get.
Drinks: Cider and wine.
wow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink