Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 09:55 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,878,541 times

Advertisements

I will be at relatives. There will be two turkeys, a ham, all the side dishes known to humankind. I'm smoking a brisket and ribs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 02:22 PM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I have had requests to change the rum cake to pecan pie. Pecan pie in and of itself is a meh BUT, I worked in a fancy restaurant a long time ago that served Thanksgiving dinner. They served their wonderful already pecan pie but they made something with it called brandied hard sauce. It is like a cross between whipped cream and ice cream texture. Very easy to make:

Uses confectioner's sugar
brandy
butter
egg yolk

It is to die for. You just use a small scoop as it is very rich. LMK if anyone would like this simple recipe.
If you're willing to share it I'd like the recipe for the icebox cake, please.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:04 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,249,258 times
We are going to a friend's place for Thanksgiving day, but I always like to cook a small feast for my husband and I. We usually do Thanksgiving alone because the cost to fly to see family is too ridiculous.

Our small day after feast:
Mashed potatoes from scratch
Not sure on vegetable just yet, probably broccoli or a simple salad
Grandmother's pineapple casserole
Grandmother's rolls (these are a lot of work, but I'm going to attempt them this year)
Canned cranberry sauce
Small whole chicken - if I can find one!

Cherry Pie & Pumpkin pie (One of these will be taken to Thanksgiving dinner)
Sparkling juices and water

We went out to buy most of our ingredients yesterday and I couldn't find a small whole chicken at either of the grocery stores we went to! I'm not going to cook a huge turkey for just 2 people, that's just stupid. Does anyone know of a grocery store selling the typical 2-3 lb chicken? They were all replaced with huge turkeys. I'm in the Bay Area.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:26 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,956,565 times
Default different menu

Since i just moved on the 1st and have made 5-6 trips between cities over the 2 weeks prior to the move I chose to stay in my new home. The dog and I will be lazy slugs!! I have a pork tenderloin that I'll roast, new potatoes - maybe dill potatoes, not sure what other veggies - have some green beans and broccoli florets in the freezer. bought one of those single serve pie slices by Edwards Pies - and a a couple of bottles of wine to choose from.

I'm planning to finish unpacking and some decorating. I know Christmas will be chaotic since I'll be travelling back to Charlotte to have dinner with the "Italian" adopted family. This is the year everybody shows up. The last time the whole family was there there were 44 people, 11 dogs and we ate for hours.... since I'll have to drive back home, I'll only be there part of the day. food and extended family and fun!!.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:56 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
turkey

mashed potatoes (made with butter, cream, cream cheese, maybe some sour cream)

gravy

cranberry sauce

sweet potatoes with marshmallows - usually top it with brown sugar/pecans, but 4 year old granddaughter loves "marshyellows"

dressing

green bean casserole

Brussels sprouts and bacon

Caesar salad

pumpkin pie

cherry-topped cheesecake

maybe a strawberry pie that I someone post a few days ago

It's way more food than we will need because there will only be 7 of us, including the 4 year old, but we'll have leftovers.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:02 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,164,138 times
So many yummy things in these menus! Bravo to you all.

My menu is still is process:

Turkey (after dry brine will we smoke it, grill it, roast it - that's still up for debate)
Stuffing
Mashed Yukon gold potatoes
Homemade gravy
Mushrooms in brandy cream sauce
Cranberry and apricot chutney

Everything else I am still deciding on, like all the veggies, and there must be many. I could do creamed corn with poblanos, roasted brussells sprouts with pancetta, brown sugar glazed carrots, a giant salad, kale gratin, roast root veggies, sweet potatoes, from scratch green been casserole, etc. etc. etc. I just don't know. I am hunting around for some delicious new recipes. I may steal some ideas from this thread.

My college daughter makes fabulous pastry and I think she will make the pies. If not, I will bang them out. Probably pear and cranberry, apple, pecan and pumpkin.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:10 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,175,792 times
I'm uncomfortably stuffed just reading this thread!

Old 11-18-2018, 06:20 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
We went out to buy most of our ingredients yesterday and I couldn't find a small whole chicken at either of the grocery stores we went to! I'm not going to cook a huge turkey for just 2 people, that's just stupid. Does anyone know of a grocery store selling the typical 2-3 lb chicken? They were all replaced with huge turkeys. I'm in the Bay Area.
If you can't find a chicken, you could roast a whole turkey and then put the leftover meat in the freezer. I bag it up with chicken broth so it doesn't dry out. It's great to use all winter long for soups, casseroles, pot pies, etc.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:25 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
we made a sausage stuffing a couple days ago.... a mild brat seasoning and a hot Italian flavor (with ground pork butt)
mixed with stuffing ( and chicken broth) and it was very good

sampled some sausage stuffing balls (with melted shredded cheese on top) and we sold out of what we made....

I will make these this week ….for the family..

Old 11-18-2018, 07:19 PM

1,372 posts, read 615,247 times
Stuffed turkey breast, roasted brussel sprouts with chestnuts, chorizo or pancetta, salad, stuffing, crusty artisan bread, pecan chocolate bourbon pie, chocolate caramel pudding with sliced candied orange.

We will begin our little feast for 2 with a toast of André Clouet Brut Rose.

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink