Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 03:24 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,765,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Has anyone used mashed potatoes to thicken the gravy?

We have a gluten intolerant family member and I could use corn starch, but read about using mashed potatoes and wondered how that worked out in reality.
It works great. Every spoonful is a meal in itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 03:25 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What about head lettuce?

Pregnant niece said she can't eat any of the prewashed salad mixtures.
The article says all forms of romaine.

Every doctor says something different about what we pregnant ladies can eat.

My doctor said nothing about bagged salads (which can be more prone to contamination) but is against my eating anything like chicken or tuna salad that was not prepared at home by me (for the same reason).

Deli meat is out because of listeria poisoning - it's not that likely, but if it happens, it can kill the baby. Preg women are 10 times more likely to contract listeriosis than others.

Romaine is one of my favorite lettuces, I'm getting pretty sick of these recalls!

Old 11-20-2018, 04:07 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
It works great. Every spoonful is a meal in itself.
How much mashed potatoes to every cup, or quart, of stock?

Old 11-20-2018, 10:38 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Just a heads up as we prepare for the festivities: romaine lettuce from Canada or US is to be avoided. Some disease....
This is such a bummer because my son and I are going to a restaurant at about 6:30 which has always had a decent Caesar salad. They had food service dressing, but decent cheese, anchovies, and house made croutons. I guess it will be mixed lettuce tomorrow?

Old 11-21-2018, 12:55 PM

1,831 posts, read 1,433,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
But that's the original recipe. It was invented by a Campbell's Soup Co. home economist using ingredients sold by their company and its subsidiaries. Just saying. I wouldn't touch the stuff with a stick myself.
Campbell's is guilty of many things, most notably its casserole recipes from the 1950s. But I do believe Cream of Mushroom soup was its worst. Tastes like aluminum. Blech. I've always hated candied sweet potatoes, so we roast ours and serve with butter. Mmmm...

The turkey goes into the smoker at midnight, so it will be ready when the guests arrive around 1:00 pm Thursday. The apple pie, pecan tarts, and stollen are made, the sangria is in the fridge.

Sister has made and will bring the chocolate pie, cornbread dressing and gravy, and her "famous" cranberry salad.

I just have to chunk the root vegetables for roasting and steam the green beans. Throw the veggies into the oven tomorrow and make the chutney sauce for the green beans.

The biggest effort expended will be mopping the floor just before the guests arrive. The rain and two frisky kittens determined to trip their hoomans guarantee a mess on the tile floors.

Oh, yeah. I have to get the bone china down, too. No point in having bone china if one doesn't use it.

Old 11-21-2018, 01:29 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times
Ham is in the oven now. Smelling good. I'll roast the turkey next.

Tthe other benefit of making the meat ahead of time...you can use little bits and bobs of the meat in your other stuff. Like, I'm going to be adding some ham to my beans. I'll use the ham drippings to make greasy rice. I know some people like to add turkey to their dressing, but I add sausage to mine instead.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:31 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,766,520 times
I got all my shopping done today. Resting for a big cook day tomorrow. I’m not making anything ahead except for dessert maybe. Baked apples, gluten free version for my husband.

Also I bought escarole, Belgian endive, for the substitution of Romaine lettuce.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:41 PM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
Just took my turkey out of the oven. It's cooling in the roaster on the deck and I'm keeping a close watch for stray dawgs or racoons. Cat is not interested.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:54 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
DH wanted to try something different, so the brine contains most of a bottle of whiskey, and the wood is soaked in the remainder.

Didn't even save any for the cook.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-21-2018, 04:33 PM

777 posts, read 1,337,224 times
My fam is pretty traditional with the fixings:

Turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, stuffing, and cranberry sauce for myself. With a pumpkin pie.

When I really go all out and make all my faves, I add baked acorn squash with brown sugar and butter, sweet potato casserole, and make sauteed green beans with cherry tomatoes instead of green bean casserole.

But I'm not cooking this year, so I won't be having those goods, just the former that my brother is making.

I don't mind weeks worth of leftovers, it's all good! And turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sandwiches are amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink