Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 07:52 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,147,437 times

Advertisements

Due to our hybrid ethnicities and cultural influences, ours is:

All natural turkey (organic, no hormones, cage free)
Corn bread dressing
Mashed potatoes
Flash frozen organic corn
Cucumber/tomato/avocado/red onion salad
Sauteed German red cabbage made with very low sugar
Butter
Giblet gravy
French green beans cooked in bacon/garlic, plus almond slices
Home cooked cranberries with very low sugar
Lingonberries
Low carb fresh biscuits

Fresh blueberries, raspberries and black berries layered in heavy whipped cream (made with vanilla and stevia (no sugar)) = parfait

Iced tea
Zevia (non sugar cola, more than one kind)
Water
Red wine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 07:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
We just hit up World Market for what my daughter and I call Snacktivities!

We bought lots of candy to put around in bowls, and some good cookies too. The house will be full of grandkids and we can't let them go hungry!

The best part of Thanksgiving is the leftovers - and whipped cream is always left over so it's great the next day in our coffee!

Old 11-16-2018, 07:55 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Just found out I'm on the hook for a rum cake since we're not getting together for Christmas, which is when I usually make it. Oh, the sacrifice...

Old 11-16-2018, 08:05 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Someone had posted a pear salad earlier, and that inspired me, though I went sans pears because they are problematic here (I can't wait to move back to CONUS!!!!!)

I am making a pumpkin pie, with fresh whipped cream. Two other people will buy pies, I put in a request for something chocolate, and a pumpkin / haupia pie that is locally made.

I will probably make this recipe for the butter: Cran-Orange Honey Butter | Eat It & Say Yum

Two of my favorite recipes from prior years:

Cabernet-Cranberry Sauce with Figs https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...-figs-51138020

COCONUT BOURBON SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH PECANS https://cookingbride.com/side-dishes...ato-casserole/

What about a pot of mulled wine that can be served from the stove? Did that one year and it was pretty popular.
Thank you. Those recipes sound yum. I asked about the pies, because I am thinking that I need something besides pumpkin. I think I'll add something chocolate. I know, not traditional, but a few of my guests are hard core chocolate lovers. It will make them happy.

I'm glad you've been able to find pears! The coconut boubon sweet potato casserole sounds like a winner.

While I like the idea of mulled port, a few guests - and I know who they are - are going to want a chilled cocktail with hard liquor, as opposed to a spiced fortified wine. Maybe I'll add that too. Good to sip while making last minute preparations.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:28 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Thank you. Those recipes sound yum. I asked about the pies, because I am thinking that I need something besides pumpkin. I think I'll add something chocolate. I know, not traditional, but a few of my guests are hard core chocolate lovers. It will make them happy.

I'm glad you've been able to find pears! The coconut boubon sweet potato casserole sounds like a winner.

While I like the idea of mulled port, a few guests - and I know who they are - are going to want a chilled cocktail with hard liquor, as opposed to a spiced fortified wine. Maybe I'll add that too. Good to sip while making last minute preparations.
ALWAYS have to keep the cook happy!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-16-2018, 09:39 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,418 times
Man everyone's Thanksgiving meals sound delish! We're hosting my brother and my husband's co-worker this year. That'll bring us up to six people. I'm excited, it's always been just our little family since we moved to Wyoming.

Our menu:
Two smoked turkey roasts
Homemade mashed potatoes and gravy
Green beans with bacon and garlic
Crock pot dressing (trying something new)
Strawberry pretzel salad
Hawaiian rolls

Pumpkin pie
Pecan pie
Cookies and cream pie

Sparkling cider

Old 11-16-2018, 10:36 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
OK. For the Thanksgiving "by the piture cocktail" I have it narrowed down to two -

Sparkling Cranbery and Elder Flower Coctail.

OR

Spiced Pear and Ginger Cocktail.

Both seem delicious. If anyone wants either recipe, let me know.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:02 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times
Everyone's menus sound so good! Here's mine:

Roasted Turkey
Baked Ham
Cranberry Sauce (eww...the only one who likes it is my husband, and he likes it from the can)
Turkey Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Greasy Rice (made from the ham drippings)
Dressing
Sweet Potato Casserole
Green Bean Casserole (I could do without...but my mother-in-law LOVES it...and her preferred recipe is the one from the can...so that's how I'll make it!)
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Collards
Butter Beans
Buttered Corn
Fried Apples

Rolls

Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie
German Chocolate Cake

Old 11-17-2018, 06:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ok, I just finished my final shopping list, and that makes this thread a bad idea, because I know y'all will come up with a bunch of stuff I want to make instead.

We have been playing musical chairs with guests, 3 of our small group can't make it, which is good because now we do not have to start the turkey the night before in order to have it ready for the early dinner they needed. So we have a group of 7, which includes one set of neighbors.

Our other neighbors are cooking dinner too, so all of them will come over here for a bit, and then we will all go over there for a bit.

Anyway... here's the menu:

Lychee stuff with cream cheese/candied ginger/sherry
Spinach/arugula with gorganzola/apples/pecans/cranberries and Dijon dressing
Biscuits (NOT home made, I wouldn't do that to guests), and cranberry/orange/honey butter
Traditional stuffing
mashed potatoes and home made gravy (one day I will get it how I want it. Maybe this year?)
Green bean casserole (from scratch!)
Smoked turkey
assorted pies and booze
glad you mentioned the booze:

Old 11-17-2018, 06:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
We will be at our granddaughters for Turkey day. I know pretty much what we will be eating and it is a lot. There will be 15 to 18 of us, I am not sure of the exact number as she is inviting some friends we hace all known for years, but don't know if the adult kids will be coming

Of course,
Turkey: probably smoked ( i hope her husband doesn't over cook it this year)
potato casserole (our older daughter will bring that)
dressing
green bean casserole
brandy, coconut sweet potatoes (sound about like the bourbon one)I bring that
fruit salad Friends bringing that)
winter green salad (daughter is bringing that)
cranberries ( think I am going to combine a couple of the recipes some of you posted)
3 pies: ( no idea what kind but made by our 12 year old great granddaughter) she loves to bake and has been doing the desserts for the last couple of years
a few appetizers ( oldest granddaughter who is the mom of our dessert fixer)
Of course plenty of adult beverages ( host love his top of the line scotch, as do all the guys that will be there. The gals will mainly drink wine and a few are non drinkers, how they ended up in our family who knows)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink