Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:24 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times

Advertisements

I gave serious thought to serving this shredded brussels spouts salad at Thanksgiving:

https://www.womansday.com/food-recip...-salad-recipe/

Everything suggested here sounds pretty and festive.

Or there's always this old 1950's favorite:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...stmas-gelatin/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 05:14 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I nearly always add more arugula to my spring greens.

But that chopped salad? OMG, that's gonna get served sometime or another at my house. honey crisp apples. Thanks so much!
You're welcome. It is sooooo good.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:14 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
How about a cranberry walnut salad? Mixed greens, dried cranberries, candied walnuts, some slice apples or pears and goat cheese. Use any vinaigrette you like.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:26 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
My go-to salad for fall occasions is watercress, endive, red pear, blue cheese, and candied walnuts (or pecans) dressed with a white wine vinaigrette. Both of those greens are pretty pricey for such a large crowd, but you could use a less expensive green, like baby spinach, to bulk things up while still allowing the peppery flavor of the watercress to come through. Candied nuts, by the way, make even the most humble green salad a treat, and they're super easy to make.
I was going to suggest something similar. Mine usually includes dried cranberries, and a champagne vinaigrette.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:30 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I went to a Christmas dinner party once where the hostess served a salad that I though was so festive. Looked like Christmas on a plate. It was fresh baby spinach, tiny pomegranate jewels, and starfruit. Cut across like stars, of course! It was served with a raspberry vinaigrette that has sesame seeds in it! It was so pretty!

Old 12-11-2018, 07:11 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
A nice spinach salad with nuts, cranberries, blue cheese, and other crunchy nibbles dressed with a good vinegarette would be good.

It would take 30 seconds to assemble it. If you want to do something fancy with it, make your own croutons.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:07 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
Crunchy Chilled Ramen Salad - coleslaw, sunflower seeds, almonds, oil and vinegar, crushed ramen noodles. RECIPE HERE[b]
Spinach Mandarin Almond salad aka Orange - Almond salad - you can use canned mandarin oranges and use the juice in the dressing. RECIPE HERE
Broccoli salad cut small bite size and add cranberries, sunflower seeds, bacon bits, onion, mayo) RECIPE HERE

Old 12-11-2018, 11:11 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,261,106 times
Verrrry old fashioned, but people still seem to love it. (Maybe because they're old like we are!)

Greens of your choice, with marinated artichoke hearts, sliced fresh mushrooms, slivered almonds, clementine sections, and a nice light vinaigrette. Crumble a little cheese over it. (gorgonzola? even parmesan.) Goes with seafood, too, but very refreshing with beef.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:34 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
So I thinking: I like figs. Even dried figs. Figs are unusual, regarded as kinda special. So I googled salad with dried figs (can't get fresh this time of year.)

And I found this recipe from Susan Spicer. I rarely pay much attention to what chef (if any) developed the recipe. But one of my most memorable meals ever was at Bayonne, Spicer's restaurant in New Orleans. We're talking 15+ years ago.

https://www.cookstr.com/recipes/gree...ry-vinaigrette

I'm hesitant to include the capers. And no, I'm not likely to do a test run. Thoughts?

Old 12-12-2018, 01:22 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
So I thinking: I like figs. Even dried figs. Figs are unusual, regarded as kinda special. So I googled salad with dried figs (can't get fresh this time of year.)

And I found this recipe from Susan Spicer. I rarely pay much attention to what chef (if any) developed the recipe. But one of my most memorable meals ever was at Bayonne, Spicer's restaurant in New Orleans. We're talking 15+ years ago.

https://www.cookstr.com/recipes/gree...ry-vinaigrette

I'm hesitant to include the capers. And no, I'm not likely to do a test run. Thoughts?
That salad sounds delicious. Strong flavors to match the meat dish. The capers sound fine to me because again, strong flavors.

For a make-ahead salad, have you considered a terrine, topped with a little frisee for freshness? Beautiful sliced, with a goat or blue cheese layer. Just be sure to season well.

https://emerils.com/124502/roasted-v...d-tomato-sauce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes