U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2019, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
70,093 posts, read 80,746,275 times
Reputation: 39631

Advertisements

I don't care where they serve it, low fat sour cream is yucky in my opinion. Some things can be low fat and work, others not. As for the statement low fat anything is worse than the real thing. I do not buy that for one minute. I do understand that low fat almost always means more sugar, but is that worse than more fat? Technically both are bad for us, if we over due it and none will hurt us in small amounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2019, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Crook County, Illinois
3,162 posts, read 1,351,788 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't care where they serve it, low fat sour cream is yucky in my opinion. Some things can be low fat and work, others not. As for the statement low fat anything is worse than the real thing. I do not buy that for one minute. I do understand that low fat almost always means more sugar, but is that worse than more fat? Technically both are bad for us, if we over due it and none will hurt us in small amounts.
True, true. I'd rather use a teaspoon of full-fat sour cream, than a tablespoon of the low-fat kind, like to put on a baked potato or chili. Going back on topic, I highly doubt that using reduced-fat in a burrito with ground beef, refried beans, and nacho cheese would make it much healthier. Like people pointed out, it's most likely so that sour cream will come out easier from a caulking gun dispenser. The health halo is just an added bonus.

Or, it might be like limiting milk sales at schools to skim or 1%. When they use whole milk to make butter and cheese, they get a huge batch of leftover product, which is your skim milk. Instead of discarding it or feeding it to farm animals, they lobby the USDA and pawn it off to the National School Lunch Program, under the pretext of "healthy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2019, 10:50 AM
 
12,735 posts, read 14,852,118 times
Reputation: 14463
I didn't know they served low fat sour cream and I hadn't noticed that the taste was different, but I'd prefer full fat sour cream if I had a choice. I haven't ever bought low fat sour cream but I bought low fat cottage cheese one time and it was horrible.

But this post made me think of Burrito Supremes back when they were really good and had black olives in them. I don't know what changed, but they're not like they used to be. And the Enchiritos used to be delicious too. Why is that everything that used to be good isn't good anymore?

If I knew how I would create companies that make everything the way it used to be made - food and clothing just two examples - and I bet I'd make lots of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2019, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Crook County, Illinois
3,162 posts, read 1,351,788 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
There's a type of non-fat sour cream, that is actually just a type of thicker yogurt that has a more tart taste. There's no more than a small amount of residual fat in it. You'd never get me to accept that full-fat dairy products were healthier or to eat any of them.
Full-fat dairy is exactly the way it came out of the cow, sheep, or goat. Reduced- or low-fat dairy requires heavy processing to bring fat down to that level. As well as replacing it with sugar, gelatin, and/or artificial ingredients to bring back the original full-fat taste and texture.

If you want to be healthy, just eat less of full-fat dairy, rather than more of reduced-fat dairy. In the end, the net amount of fat you'll eat will be the same. Don't buy into the mantra of anti-fat lobbyists. It's excessive sugar you gotta worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2019, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Virginia
3,589 posts, read 1,746,109 times
Reputation: 9677
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Full-fat dairy is exactly the way it came out of the cow, sheep, or goat. Reduced- or low-fat dairy requires heavy processing to bring fat down to that level. As well as replacing it with sugar, gelatin, and/or artificial ingredients to bring back the original full-fat taste and texture.

If you want to be healthy, just eat less of full-fat dairy, rather than more of reduced-fat dairy. In the end, the net amount of fat you'll eat will be the same. Don't buy into the mantra of anti-fat lobbyists. It's excessive sugar you gotta worry about.
Well, I follow what my cardiologist says and watch my fat intake big-time. I may love sour cream, but I only eat the fat-free variety on my fat-free refried beans with the fat-free shredded cheese on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2019, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Crook County, Illinois
3,162 posts, read 1,351,788 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But this post made me think of Burrito Supremes back when they were really good and had black olives in them. I don't know what changed, but they're not like they used to be. And the Enchiritos used to be delicious too. Why is that everything that used to be good isn't good anymore?
It seems like the Mexican full-fat crema and the American reduced-fat sour cream have about the same texture: semi-liquid and smooth-flowing. The American full-fat sour cream is solid and pudding-like. So Taco Bell is probably imitating the Mexican crema in its Tex-Mex foods in the most cost-effective way it knows.

Of course, an authentic Mexican burrito is quite healthy and filling. It has grilled meats, roasted vegetables, beans, crema, and salsa. It was developed as a hearty portable meal for cowboys. A Taco Bell burrito is something you eat if you're drunk (or stoned) at 2:00 AM. So making it healthy isn't a priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Well, I follow what my cardiologist says and watch my fat intake big-time. I may love sour cream, but I only eat the fat-free variety on my fat-free refried beans with the fat-free shredded cheese on top.
I don't trust doctors, except to heal what's ailing me. Many of them are in bed with the lobbyists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2019, 02:09 PM
 
3,140 posts, read 1,692,095 times
Reputation: 8245
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It seems like the Mexican full-fat crema and the American reduced-fat sour cream have about the same texture: semi-liquid and smooth-flowing. The American full-fat sour cream is solid and pudding-like. So Taco Bell is probably imitating the Mexican crema in its Tex-Mex foods in the most cost-effective way it knows.

Of course, an authentic Mexican burrito is quite healthy and filling. It has grilled meats, roasted vegetables, beans, crema, and salsa. It was developed as a hearty portable meal for cowboys. A Taco Bell burrito is something you eat if you're drunk (or stoned) at 2:00 AM. So making it healthy isn't a priority.


I don't trust doctors, except to heal what's ailing me. Many of them are in bed with the lobbyists.
Please.

It wasn’t ‘developed’ as anything. It’s not like the Mexican Food Science Bureau invented it to fill that niche.

Perhaps you’ve never been to rural Mexico, but I guarantee you the percentage of obese people rivals their northern neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2019, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Long Island,NY
934 posts, read 483,215 times
Reputation: 1552
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Full-fat dairy is exactly the way it came out of the cow, sheep, or goat. Reduced- or low-fat dairy requires heavy processing to bring fat down to that level. As well as replacing it with sugar, gelatin, and/or artificial ingredients to bring back the original full-fat taste and texture.

If you want to be healthy, just eat less of full-fat dairy, rather than more of reduced-fat dairy. In the end, the net amount of fat you'll eat will be the same. Don't buy into the mantra of anti-fat lobbyists. It's excessive sugar you gotta worry about.
The 3 ingredients in Daisy's Light Sour Cream is Cream, skim milk and Vit A. I do agree however with your premise as it relates to other products. Just look at the ingredients in low-fat or no-fat ice cream. Bottom line is learn to read the ingredients and nutrition labels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2019, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Eugene, Oregon
7,690 posts, read 2,432,905 times
Reputation: 10634
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Full-fat dairy is exactly the way it came out of the cow, sheep, or goat. Reduced- or low-fat dairy requires heavy processing to bring fat down to that level. As well as replacing it with sugar, gelatin, and/or artificial ingredients to bring back the original full-fat taste and texture.

If you want to be healthy, just eat less of full-fat dairy, rather than more of reduced-fat dairy. In the end, the net amount of fat you'll eat will be the same. Don't buy into the mantra of anti-fat lobbyists. It's excessive sugar you gotta worry about.
The Springfield Creamery in my area, which produces Nancy's yogurt, adds nothing but extra milk solids and a bacterial culture to their plain yogurt. It is very full-bodied and flavorful. I use their non-fat version as a substitute for sour cream in my cooked dishes and instead of mayonnaise in salads and other cold foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM
 
Location: SE Florida
852 posts, read 188,612 times
Reputation: 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
There's a type of non-fat sour cream, that is actually just a type of thicker yogurt that has a more tart taste. There's no more than a small amount of residual fat in it. You'd never get me to accept that full-fat dairy products were healthier or to eat any of them.
That leaves more for us! Ever compare whole milk ricotta to part-skim? Big difference in taste. Same goes for sour cream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top