Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 05:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

I don't care where they serve it, low fat sour cream is yucky in my opinion. Some things can be low fat and work, others not. As for the statement low fat anything is worse than the real thing. I do not buy that for one minute. I do understand that low fat almost always means more sugar, but is that worse than more fat? Technically both are bad for us, if we over due it and none will hurt us in small amounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 09:11 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't care where they serve it, low fat sour cream is yucky in my opinion. Some things can be low fat and work, others not. As for the statement low fat anything is worse than the real thing. I do not buy that for one minute. I do understand that low fat almost always means more sugar, but is that worse than more fat? Technically both are bad for us, if we over due it and none will hurt us in small amounts.
True, true. I'd rather use a teaspoon of full-fat sour cream, than a tablespoon of the low-fat kind, like to put on a baked potato or chili. Going back on topic, I highly doubt that using reduced-fat in a burrito with ground beef, refried beans, and nacho cheese would make it much healthier. Like people pointed out, it's most likely so that sour cream will come out easier from a caulking gun dispenser. The health halo is just an added bonus.

Or, it might be like limiting milk sales at schools to skim or 1%. When they use whole milk to make butter and cheese, they get a huge batch of leftover product, which is your skim milk. Instead of discarding it or feeding it to farm animals, they lobby the USDA and pawn it off to the National School Lunch Program, under the pretext of "healthy".

Old 01-06-2019, 09:50 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,249,721 times
I didn't know they served low fat sour cream and I hadn't noticed that the taste was different, but I'd prefer full fat sour cream if I had a choice. I haven't ever bought low fat sour cream but I bought low fat cottage cheese one time and it was horrible.

But this post made me think of Burrito Supremes back when they were really good and had black olives in them. I don't know what changed, but they're not like they used to be. And the Enchiritos used to be delicious too. Why is that everything that used to be good isn't good anymore?

If I knew how I would create companies that make everything the way it used to be made - food and clothing just two examples - and I bet I'd make lots of money.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
There's a type of non-fat sour cream, that is actually just a type of thicker yogurt that has a more tart taste. There's no more than a small amount of residual fat in it. You'd never get me to accept that full-fat dairy products were healthier or to eat any of them.
Full-fat dairy is exactly the way it came out of the cow, sheep, or goat. Reduced- or low-fat dairy requires heavy processing to bring fat down to that level. As well as replacing it with sugar, gelatin, and/or artificial ingredients to bring back the original full-fat taste and texture.

If you want to be healthy, just eat less of full-fat dairy, rather than more of reduced-fat dairy. In the end, the net amount of fat you'll eat will be the same. Don't buy into the mantra of anti-fat lobbyists. It's excessive sugar you gotta worry about.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:29 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Full-fat dairy is exactly the way it came out of the cow, sheep, or goat. Reduced- or low-fat dairy requires heavy processing to bring fat down to that level. As well as replacing it with sugar, gelatin, and/or artificial ingredients to bring back the original full-fat taste and texture.

If you want to be healthy, just eat less of full-fat dairy, rather than more of reduced-fat dairy. In the end, the net amount of fat you'll eat will be the same. Don't buy into the mantra of anti-fat lobbyists. It's excessive sugar you gotta worry about.
Well, I follow what my cardiologist says and watch my fat intake big-time. I may love sour cream, but I only eat the fat-free variety on my fat-free refried beans with the fat-free shredded cheese on top.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But this post made me think of Burrito Supremes back when they were really good and had black olives in them. I don't know what changed, but they're not like they used to be. And the Enchiritos used to be delicious too. Why is that everything that used to be good isn't good anymore?
It seems like the Mexican full-fat crema and the American reduced-fat sour cream have about the same texture: semi-liquid and smooth-flowing. The American full-fat sour cream is solid and pudding-like. So Taco Bell is probably imitating the Mexican crema in its Tex-Mex foods in the most cost-effective way it knows.

Of course, an authentic Mexican burrito is quite healthy and filling. It has grilled meats, roasted vegetables, beans, crema, and salsa. It was developed as a hearty portable meal for cowboys. A Taco Bell burrito is something you eat if you're drunk (or stoned) at 2:00 AM. So making it healthy isn't a priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Well, I follow what my cardiologist says and watch my fat intake big-time. I may love sour cream, but I only eat the fat-free variety on my fat-free refried beans with the fat-free shredded cheese on top.
I don't trust doctors, except to heal what's ailing me. Many of them are in bed with the lobbyists.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:09 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,428 times
Quote:
It seems like the Mexican full-fat crema and the American reduced-fat sour cream have about the same texture: semi-liquid and smooth-flowing. The American full-fat sour cream is solid and pudding-like. So Taco Bell is probably imitating the Mexican crema in its Tex-Mex foods in the most cost-effective way it knows.

Of course, an authentic Mexican burrito is quite healthy and filling. It has grilled meats, roasted vegetables, beans, crema, and salsa. It was developed as a hearty portable meal for cowboys. A Taco Bell burrito is something you eat if you're drunk (or stoned) at 2:00 AM. So making it healthy isn't a priority.

I don't trust doctors, except to heal what's ailing me. Many of them are in bed with the lobbyists.
Please.

It wasn’t ‘developed’ as anything. It’s not like the Mexican Food Science Bureau invented it to fill that niche.

Perhaps you’ve never been to rural Mexico, but I guarantee you the percentage of obese people rivals their northern neighbors.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:26 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,380 times
Quote:

The 3 ingredients in Daisy's Light Sour Cream is Cream, skim milk and Vit A. I do agree however with your premise as it relates to other products. Just look at the ingredients in low-fat or no-fat ice cream. Bottom line is learn to read the ingredients and nutrition labels.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:51 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
Quote:

The Springfield Creamery in my area, which produces Nancy's yogurt, adds nothing but extra milk solids and a bacterial culture to their plain yogurt. It is very full-bodied and flavorful. I use their non-fat version as a substitute for sour cream in my cooked dishes and instead of mayonnaise in salads and other cold foods.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:25 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,081,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
There's a type of non-fat sour cream, that is actually just a type of thicker yogurt that has a more tart taste. There's no more than a small amount of residual fat in it. You'd never get me to accept that full-fat dairy products were healthier or to eat any of them.
That leaves more for us! Ever compare whole milk ricotta to part-skim? Big difference in taste. Same goes for sour cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink