Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 11:57 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times

Advertisements

Yes, our birthday celebrations are always enjoyed with the company of family and good friend. Depending on whose birthday it is (we have all seasons of birthdays from winter through summer and fall) we may cook at home inside or grill out on the patio or if we're really in the mood we go to Greek town (they have the best traditional Greek dishes but their lamb chops are my favorite).

Yes, I consider all of our birthdays to be a true blessing to be shared and celebrated with food, family and friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 12:38 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,348,435 times
On the week of my birthday, during the summer, youngest daughter and I visit my family back in Eastern PA. . On my birthday, they always take us to "Yoder's", a Pennsylvania Dutch buffet in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. Wall to wall home style dishes, plus a grill where you can also get prime rib, salmon, etc. grilled to your request. Ham balls, corn fritters, potato filling, gravy...you wish you had three stomachs. Two for the food, and one for the desserts...an endless assortment of homemade pies, plus hand dipped ice cream (I always mean to try the "shoefly" ice cream, but I'm always too full). The best part is, there is no charge for your meal on your birthday...show them your driver's license, and the birthday gal/guy's dinner is free!!!!!

If we're visiting, and it's anybody's birthday, it always means a trip to "Yoder's".

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 01-27-2019 at 12:47 PM..

Old 01-27-2019, 01:01 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You've never heard of birthday cake?
Birthday cake is a MUST! All else is negotiable.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:10 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,266 times
Yes -- Our family sometimes celebrates birthdays by eating out at a restaurant. The last time we went was for our daughter's 33rd birthday and we went to the Lone Star Steakhouse. The waiters and waitresses came around to our table with a saddle on wheels that she got to sit on while they sang Happy Birthday. And the meals were big enough for us to take "doggy" boxes home. They brought her a piece of cake or brownie, and she had left-over cupcakes from her office, too. It will probably be the last time we do that for a while because she will soon be moving out of state.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:37 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,081,313 times
Most often for my birthday I'll make sauerbraten, kartoffelklosse und rotkohl if we aren't going out.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:20 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
No, we go to locations for birthdays.

This year will be a repeat to Bimini eating fresh fried conch with fries and slaw or lobster fritters somewhere on the island.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:50 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
We used to do out for dinner for our birthdays but now that I'm by myself I usually just ignore it
But, this thread is a timely reminder for me since today is my birthday!
I won't be going out but I think I will make something special and take that Edward's Turtle Pie out of the freezer where, for some reason, it's been since I bought it 3 weeks ago .

My kids were very different, birthdays were at home with requests. She wanted steak and shrimp cocktail
he just wanted sloppy joes

Old 01-29-2019, 04:58 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,558 times
We go out for birthdays, promotions at work, fathers day, life events, etc. Did it with my family growing up and continued it with my own family.
We plan by asking the person in advance to decide where and when they want their birthday dinner a few weeks in advance so there is plenty of time to make a reservation if needed.
We've been from fish & chips places to starred restaurants. Always a good time celebrating the guest of honor.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:04 AM

339 posts, read 148,312 times
For my birthday, haven't had cake in years and last year I had pizza and salad for dinner.

I think this year I'll have cake and a nice meal though~

Old 01-31-2019, 10:34 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
I remember when I was very young my mom used to order a special ice cream and strawberry pie that the local café could get through one of its suppliers. It tasted to me like the best thing in the world. Wish I had a taste right now.

Daughter and my Dad shared February birthdays and I used to make a five course Amer-Asian meal for them with cherry pie and ice cream for dessert. Dad was born on Washington's birthday, hence the cherries.

When she was in seventh grade she asked for pan seared scallops with champagne sauce on pasta.

DH always wants hamburgers. A man of simple tastes. I usually make MN wild rice burgers topped with bleu cheese and bacon and oven browned potatoes with herbs.

Bachelor son usually wants pasta though once it was fried chicken breast sandwiches and tuna shoestring salad. That was a funny choice, I thought. As a joke I made whoopie pies for dessert in reference to a family incident in which he figured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink