Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 06:22 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times

Advertisements

Oyster Stew. Chesapeake style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMichener
“A She-Stew is the traditional one: Eight oysters per person boiled slightly in their own liquor, then in milk thickened with flour, flavored with celery, salt and pepper. A great opening course, but not a meal for a working man.

A He-Stew is quite different, as Big Jimbo prepared his version.
First he took a mess a bacon and fried it crisp. As it sizzled he chopped eight large onions and two hefty stalks of celery.

Deftly he whisked the bacon out, tossing the vegetables into the hot oil to saute.
Soon he withdrew them, placing them with the bacon. Then he tossed the forty eight oysters into the pan,
browning them just enough to implant the flavor, then he quickly poured in the liquor from the oysters
and allowed them to cook until their gills wrinkled. Next Big Jimbo did two things that made his stew unforgettable.

Taking a small pinch of tapioca powder, he tossed it into the oysters and liquor and in a few minutes the finely ground tapioca powder had expanded it into a large translucent, gelatinous mass. When he was satisfied he poured the oysters into the milk, which he had already brought to a simmer, tossed in the vegetables, then crumbled the bacon between his fingers, throwing it on top.

The sturdy dish was almost ready. Finally, Big Jimbo dusted the top of the stew with Saffron, giving it a golden richness, which he augmented with a half-pound of butter at the last moment. When the crew dug in, they found one of the richest, tastiest "Arster" stews a marine cook had ever devised.”

From James A. Michener's "Chesapeake" (An excerpted conversation between the cook, Big Jimbo and the crew
aboard the Skipjack, Jessie T. as she prepared for her maiden trip to dredge for "arsters" in Maryland's Choptank River).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 06:30 AM

922 posts, read 792,746 times
When I was about 16 I got to try some abalone steaks. OMG! I have never been able to have them since, but to this day (I am 63) I have not forgotten the way they tasted.

I also like clams, oysters and mussels, but my all time favorite is scallops. Growing up on the west coast in the 60s, fresh seafood was everywhere. I still miss fried prawns and scallops. Not so easy to find here in Kansas.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:08 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Try the Geoduck Clams. They are mainly farmed by the Native Americans in the Pacific Northwest.

It looks like the male genital and takes some skill to clean. Very popular in Asia. Japanese chef use it to make sashimi.
I stay away from this clam, it looks disgusting. Never had it even in Japanese restaurant.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:13 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
I love cold, raw oysters! When I eat them, they smell like the ocean to me. I like to eat them with a little bit of lemon juice, and a little bit of horseradish.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
When I was about 16 I got to try some abalone steaks. OMG! I have never been able to have them since, but to this day (I am 63) I have not forgotten the way they tasted.

I also like clams, oysters and mussels, but my all time favorite is scallops. Growing up on the west coast in the 60s, fresh seafood was everywhere. I still miss fried prawns and scallops. Not so easy to find here in Kansas.
I received a fresh abalone from one neighbor once, he used to go scuba diving near the coast in SoCal,that’s how he got them. I don’t remember what it taste like now, it’s been so long ago.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:22 AM

898 posts, read 598,628 times
About $4-$6 apiece is the difference

Old 03-21-2019, 10:53 AM

1,584 posts, read 982,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
What! Has no one ever had a fried oyster Po'Boy?

Yes, I have -- at Johnny's Po-Boys in NOLA. Excellent sandwich, but don't look too closely at the dumpy digs, and the 5 second rule defiitely doesn't apply here, if it ever does anywhere.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:02 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
About $3 per dozen.
Funny!

Not in my zip code. I’m in the land of the quahog where hardshell clams are inexpensive. The sizes from small to large are count neck, littleneck, cherry stone, and quahog. There are also sea clams that are huge that are minced for chowder and stuffed quahogs. Count necks are $3.79/pound where I buy them. Littlenecks are $1.29.

Oysters are a lot more expensive. $1.00 each is typical for a Cuttyhunk oyster. My sailboat mooring is a couple hundred yards from an oyster farm.

I don’t eat raw shellfish. Too much parasite and hepatitis risk. I toss oysters on the Weber. Same with littlenecks though I usually have those with a bit of cocktail sauce. I have the family heirloom lobster and soft shell clam steamer that is a huge size no longer manufactured.

I don’t buy mussels very often. Growing up, they were gritty seagull food that grows on rocks. The aquaculture ones are fine but I prefer soft shell steamed clams.

I had barnicles in Galicia Spain a couple of years ago. Not a favorite. Conch, in my opinion, should go straight into the trash.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:49 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,085,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I stay away from this clam, it looks disgusting. Never had it even in Japanese restaurant.
Your Loss! Since it is from the Pacific NW, not surprised you haven't had it in a Japanese restaurant.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Funny!

Not in my zip code. I’m in the land of the quahog where hardshell clams are inexpensive. The sizes from small to large are count neck, littleneck, cherry stone, and quahog. There are also sea clams that are huge that are minced for chowder and stuffed quahogs. Count necks are $3.79/pound where I buy them. Littlenecks are $1.29.

Oysters are a lot more expensive. $1.00 each is typical for a Cuttyhunk oyster. My sailboat mooring is a couple hundred yards from an oyster farm.

I don’t eat raw shellfish. Too much parasite and hepatitis risk. I toss oysters on the Weber. Same with littlenecks though I usually have those with a bit of cocktail sauce. I have the family heirloom lobster and soft shell clam steamer that is a huge size no longer manufactured.

I don’t buy mussels very often. Growing up, they were gritty seagull food that grows on rocks. The aquaculture ones are fine but I prefer soft shell steamed clams.

I had barnicles in Galicia Spain a couple of years ago. Not a favorite. Conch, in my opinion, should go straight into the trash.
I remember eating quahog when I was living in Boston. But I like the littleneck, will get to experience it again this summer. I will be in Maine. I agree about the conch, I had it once in the Caribbean, too chewy, what’s in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink