Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 05:46 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times

Advertisements

I picked up two bags of Vegan Rob's Puffs at Sprouts. One was beats, pretty yucky. One was cauliflower and surprisingly good. I confess that I didn't read the label though, just looking for something different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 07:09 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I picked up two bags of Vegan Rob's Puffs at Sprouts. One was beats, pretty yucky. One was cauliflower and surprisingly good. I confess that I didn't read the label though, just looking for something different.
I agree.

I bought a bag a couple of days ago at Publix in Miami just 'cause it caught my eye as I was wheeling my cart down an aisle. I wasn't sure what to expect because the week before I saw and purchased a bag of Abound Peanut Butter Puffs at CVS which sounded pretty good (peanut butter, non-GMO rice meal, non-GMO corn meal, peanut flour, cane sugar, sea salt), but tasted awful. The Vegan Rob's Cauliflower Puffs on the other hand, were great.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:46 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
I've never liked tots, so I can't give you an answer. My mother didn't like or serve spinach, so I ate it at a neighbor's house. She never served broccoli, either. I had to discover that on my own in my teens.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:12 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've never liked tots, so I can't give you an answer. My mother didn't like or serve spinach, so I ate it at a neighbor's house. She never served broccoli, either. I had to discover that on my own in my teens.
im liking your mother

Old 09-18-2019, 04:35 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,694 times
We rarely have fried potatoes or tots, so I'm going to enjoy them as is when we do. If we fry other veges, it is usually tempura.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I buy them all the day as a somewhat healthier alternative to tator tots but keep in mind, they are still loaded with carbs and are deep fried.

However, they are a better option than regular ones.

We also like the sweet tator tots.
If you are referring to sweet potato tots we do like them. Of course most of these veggies are going to have some carbs whether home made or from the store freezer, but we can't totally eliminate all carbs from our diet. Well we can but it isn't easy.

We eat a lot of veggies year around, normally fresh, rarely frozen or canned but once in awhile we like to cheat.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:33 AM

20,671 posts, read 4,436,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Wondering if anyone here buys/eats "veggie tots" and what do you think of them? I am trying to watch my carbs and also don't love regular vegetables and while I realize these are processed and not "fresh" wonder if they are a better choice or at least a SOMEWHAT healthier choice than fries, etc.

I have tried a few and I really like them. I don't eat a whole lot of them or anything, but a few kind of satisfy the craving for fried potatoes.

Yes I enjoy those veggie tots. I prefer the broccoli & corn flavors. While my family likes the sweet potato & cauliflower flavors more. IE:

Birds Eye: Tots
Broccoli
Broccoli & Cheese
Cauliflower

Green Giant: Veggie Tots
Corn
Broccoli
Broccoli & Cheese
Cauliflower Cheese & Bacon
Sweet Potato & Cauliflower
Cauliflower

Farmwise: Veggie Tots
Broccoli
Beets
Cauliflower

ALEXIA: Puffs
Sweet Potato

Most of these brands offer these veggies in fries too. You may need to switch up how you cook either of them. Some varieties cook great in a air fryer. While others cook better in a traditional oven. Some taste better than others, but that's personal preference.

Just remember that no matter what frozen tot or fries you get, they're healthier than takeout fries.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:26 AM

5,179 posts, read 3,095,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post

Just remember that no matter what frozen tot or fries you get, they're healthier than takeout fries.
So is nuclear waste.

Seriously, these tots are not healthy at all compared to real vegetables. They are loaded with extra salt, starches and sugars. Read the labels.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:05 AM

20,671 posts, read 4,436,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
So is nuclear waste.

Seriously, these tots are not healthy at all compared to real vegetables. They are loaded with extra salt, starches and sugars. Read the labels.
Have you ever sat and watched those fries at the fast food places?

Between farm to fast food customer those fries get salted at least 10x if not more.

On a typical day those fries are loaded into a salted oil. The fries are cooked, dumped onto the
fry bin, salted. Customer orders fries, worker salts fries, scoops fries into packages. This is repeated all day long, mean while passing workers salt the fries in the bin. Yes the fries are moving, but the extra salt lingers on the bins. Nobody removes the extra salt.

From that perspective, the plain frozen fries or veggie tots/fries are healthier.
I'd take the starch over salt.

If I wanted "healthier tots or fries" I could always make them.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:48 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,106,895 times
I have never had Veggie Tots, but I like and use regularly Dr Praeger's line of vegetable cakes. These include Dr Praeger's Spinach Pancakes, Dr Praeger's Broccoli Littles, Dr Praegers Broccoli Cakes, Spinach Cakes, and Brussel Sprouts Cakes, and Dr Praeger's Kale Veggie Puffs.

https://drpraegers.com/our-food/broccoli-cakes/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink