Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 07:00 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times

Advertisements

Cauliflower makes a pretty decent substitute for potatoes in a lot of ways, but it's much better if one has a good cook like my wife to prepare them from fresh stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 02:35 AM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
im liking your mother
We've discussed the mushy peas. They were the worst. I discovered that I liked raw or very lightly steamed vegetables more than what was commonly served in the 1960s.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Cauliflower makes a pretty decent substitute for potatoes in a lot of ways, but it's much better if one has a good cook like my wife to prepare them from fresh stock.
It does but I still prefer a mixture of potatoes and cauliflower for several reasons. I like the texture better if mixed. I also would rather use some potatoes for economical reasons. Cauliflower can get pretty pricey if used as the main carb or side dish compared to potatoes. We are not huge carb eaters but we certainly do not shy away from them all the time.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:51 AM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
I'm a girl who loves her veggies and healthy foods, the cauliflower tots were horrid. I would rather go "tot free."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-23-2019, 04:15 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I picked up two bags of Vegan Rob's Puffs at Sprouts. One was beats, pretty yucky. One was cauliflower and surprisingly good. I confess that I didn't read the label though, just looking for something different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I agree.

I bought a bag a couple of days ago at Publix in Miami just 'cause it caught my eye as I was wheeling my cart down an aisle. I wasn't sure what to expect because the week before I saw and purchased a bag of Abound Peanut Butter Puffs at CVS which sounded pretty good (peanut butter, non-GMO rice meal, non-GMO corn meal, peanut flour, cane sugar, sea salt), but tasted awful. The Vegan Rob's Cauliflower Puffs on the other hand, were great.
I went shopping again the other day and since the Vegan Rob's Cauliflower Puffs worked out so well, I decided to try the Tumeric Chips. They, too, were delicious! In addition to being vegan, both the turmeric chips and the cauliflower puffs are also gluten-free, so my wife was able to enjoy both snacks as well.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm a girl who loves her veggies and healthy foods, the cauliflower tots were horrid. I would rather go "tot free."
Glad someone agrees with me and the broccoli tots are worse. Yes and like you I certainly love my veggies.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:03 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Have tried 3 of them, including cauliflower; in our opinion just one level up from awful..
Really? I like Tater Tots, so naturally, I tried them. I thought they were pretty good. To me, not as good as Tater Tots, which are a weakness of mine, but pretty good.

What brand did you try? I forget what I bought. It was at a local health food store, The Mustard Seed. If they aren't crispy. Crisp is key. Mushy is the kiss of death, when it comes to tots of any sort.

Since my husband's heart attack, I have been trying to cook "whole, clean, foods", but at times I can not abide by his diet. He likes the cauliflower tots, and he enjoys them as a treat from time to time.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:10 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,373,837 times
I just slice up sweet potato and bake them. Satisfied the whole French fry/tater tot urge.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Really? I like Tater Tots, so naturally, I tried them. I thought they were pretty good. To me, not as good as Tater Tots, which are a weakness of mine, but pretty good.

What brand did you try? I forget what I bought. It was at a local health food store, The Mustard Seed. If they aren't crispy. Crisp is key. Mushy is the kiss of death, when it comes to tots of any sort.

Since my husband's heart attack, I have been trying to cook "whole, clean, foods", but at times I can not abide by his diet. He likes the cauliflower tots, and he enjoys them as a treat from time to time.
I would say, cauliflower ones are 1 step up from the broccoli ones we got. As for what brand? I purchased Green Giant and I tried them twice.

Sorry about hubby's heart attack. We did the smart eating diet when my husband had 3 stints (no heart attack) we also started walking more, but that was over 30 years ago. He has never had heart issues since but did have a mild stroke about 25 years ago. Now, at our age we are doing good to get much exercise at all, except water walking 3 days a week. We do keep the food pretty healthy, meat servings are very small and fried foods are rare. When we do use cooking oil or even on salads it is always Olive oil

Old 10-01-2019, 05:33 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I just slice up sweet potato and bake them. Satisfied the whole French fry/tater tot urge.
tater tot urge??

its funny I hadn't had a tot in 20 yrs.....but was offered a tot a few weeks ago......it was good!!

sweet potato slices ….almost French fries are not bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink