Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 09:43 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
You're killing me! All of my favorite things! Ever had pickled green beans? YUM! Then there's fried green tomatoes and homemade tomato juice, salsa, and ... ooh, I have to stop. Getting dizzy from jealousy....
Lol, love everything you mentioned.......you might not be so jealous if you knew we are in the middle of a drought here, and the heat index was 110F at 5pm this afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 12:44 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
I am liking chef Thomas Keller's idea of a culinary garden to supply the freshest produce to cook and eat with.

Next season that is my plan.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:58 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I am liking chef Thomas Keller's idea of a culinary garden to supply the freshest produce to cook and eat with.

Next season that is my plan.
I highly recommend that, been doing the same thing for most of my life!

Old 06-25-2011, 01:00 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I highly recommend that, been doing the same thing for most of my life!
I toyed with the idea for a while and didn't get it done this spring.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:53 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,542 times
I am finally getting into flavoring vinegars and pickling spices, vegetables and eggs.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:30 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Be careful with garlic though as it will lessen shelf life (usually compound butters are ok for 7 days refrigerated, but it's about 3 days less for those containing fresh garlic, if you used dried..which I HOPE to God you didn't lol..then you're ok the full 7)

Y'know, I actually LIKE the flavor of garlic powder .... but it's not like fresh garlic, it's almost an entirely different flavor. At any rate, you don't have to infuse it to get the flavor in whatever. And it's useful in things where fresh garlic might get burned.

I sure do need to get some fresh sage, basil, rosemary, and dill, it's too late to plant them. Actually Not too late to plant them, but I'd like to have some on hand now. I can gather the sage and maybe the rosemary if there's some around town, and the other two are at the healthfood store.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:29 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
I'll take a couple bulbs of garlic and run it through my food processor till it's finely chopped into a coarse paste. Then form it into a log, wrap it in wax paper and pop it in the freezer.

Whenever I need fresh garlic I just slice off a bit of the log and use it in my recipes.

Could probably mince up herbs and make different garlic and herb flavored logs too.

Eliminates a step in most recipes and handy to have.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:58 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I'll take a couple bulbs of garlic and run it through my food processor till it's finely chopped into a coarse paste. Then form it into a log, wrap it in wax paper and pop it in the freezer.

Whenever I need fresh garlic I just slice off a bit of the log and use it in my recipes.

Could probably mince up herbs and make different garlic and herb flavored logs too.

Eliminates a step in most recipes and handy to have.
I do this with garlic and ginger for my own Ginger Garlic Paste. It's a great tip!

Old 08-15-2011, 05:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
WOW! I had quite the briefing at work today. About the Norwalk virus, which is currently very active in our town, this is a gastrointestinal virus, that causes diarrhea. It is spread by people not washing their hands well, and then fixing food, and you ingest this virus...It is currently rampant in our town. It sort of made me not want to go out to eat at all this week, or ever! Anyway, this is very active in our town right now. Lots of patients are coming in to the hospital right now with this...they think it is food poisoning, but it is this virus.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Well, the weather will turn nippy soon here..and the holidays are coming up...time for me to do my annual trip to the liquor store. Amaretto, Irish Cream, Whiskey...time for those Irish Coffee's to warm up after being outside. I also have a buttered rum recipe to DIE for...nothing like a hot toddy when it is too cold to go outside. Time to put away the Margarita and Pina Colada mixer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink