Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 06:51 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times

Advertisements

I think a discreet wipe is OK, but if you really need to have a general exorcism of the nasal cavities, might be a good idea to step away from the eating area (just getting over a cold myself and I disgust myself sometimes).

What I can't stand is people who are constantly sniffing, snuffling, or as I put it "sucking their nose." Up to the age of 5, you get a pass, after that, learn how to use a tissue. Sniffing is only a temporary measure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 07:13 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
So I'm sitting and eating lunch in the break room, and some guy blows his nose loudly into some napkins as I eat, making me lose my appetite.

That's one thing that always annoys me and turns my stomach when eating with others.

Gross.
Sometimes the ol' body is going to impose itself and do so right when its least convenient.

My Dad invariably had a sneezing fit or needed to blow his nose (and man, it wasn't a polite little toot either) almost exactly 3 minutes into every single meal. You could set your watch by it. Didn't matter what the meal was or where. Everyone who routinely ate in his presence knew it was coming and learned not to ask him a question or involve him in anything until the habitual fit was finished. Never knew what triggered it but he never tried to prevent it or suppress it either.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-07-2017 at 07:22 PM..

Old 12-07-2017, 07:26 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
That's okay,I get equally annoyed when I am tending to my Nasal drip and someone decides their eating is far more superior of a habit then my natural habit to clear the nasal. It's all a matter of perspective. I even on occasion sneeze when at a dinner meal. You bet I cover the nose...But gosh I reckon I should somehow master the nasal etiquette ..I got it. Wear earplugs dear. The only thing that would bother me when eating is if the assailant had the drippings season my plate. Otherwise guess what ,they are tending to their nasal concern,just like your attending to satiating your hunger.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:52 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Lol.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:53 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
People are gross.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:33 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
So I'm sitting and eating lunch in the break room, and some guy blows his nose loudly into some napkins as I eat, making me lose my appetite.

That's one thing that always annoys me and turns my stomach when eating with others.

Gross.
Better than passing gas

Old 12-07-2017, 10:26 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I think a discreet wipe is OK, but if you really need to have a general exorcism of the nasal cavities, might be a good idea to step away from the eating area (just getting over a cold myself and I disgust myself sometimes).

What I can't stand is people who are constantly sniffing, snuffling, or as I put it "sucking their nose." Up to the age of 5, you get a pass, after that, learn how to use a tissue. Sniffing is only a temporary measure.
Sniffer here. I'm allergic to just about everything: dust, pollen (grasses, flowers, trees), animals, and mold. I take medication, but it really doesn't get rid of the problem. If I couldn't sniff a bit or dab at my nose while out in public, I wouldn't be able to go anywhere.

The purge? I can't do that around others.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:05 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
The minute I sit down to a hot meal, my nose starts to run. It used to be a little, but it gets worse over time and I finally found out it's allergic rhinitis. My aunt is the same and so was my grandmother, so I guess I never thought of it unless I was out in a restaurant. Such a choice: do I blow my nose 10 times during dinner or run off to the rest room 10 times? No good choice there.

I don't eat out much anymore, but I can go through six Kleenex during a meal. And if it's spicy, it's worse. I suppose I might try an allergy pill if I go out again to see if it helps, but I generally take as few pills as possible.

I've always been sure it grossed people out, but the alternative is worse.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:36 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,872 times
Who cares, really? If beings (sentient types) ingest food, then they have to excrete it. It doesn't matter. I'm human, and I burp (or whatever else).

Old 12-08-2017, 05:10 AM

1,584 posts, read 980,722 times
Sometimes when eating, runny noses and similar things happen -- especially if you have allergies, are under the weather, or are eating piping hot or spicy food. You really have three options in this case: blow your nose, sniff like crazy, or let it run/drip for all to see. The former strikes me as the least objectionable and is the most likely of the three to clear up the issue quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink