Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 05:24 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My mom has washed all of her dishes in bleach water, for as long as I can remember. Rinse well and it is no problem at all (for ceramic and stoneware and metal). Plastic does hold on to the smell with too long od a soak with a higher ratio. It dissipates over time.
Smart lady your mom it's a sanitizer for dishware and the person doing the cleansing. I haven't noticed a bleach aftertaste on the items....maybe the baking soda trick afterwards dissipates it. I usually do the 3 oz bleach for every 8 oz water for single items. For sink of dishware usually a quarter cup .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 09:12 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I'm looking for suggestions on removing coffee stains from a favorite cup. It's a porous ceramic 'starbucks look-alike' with the silicone sleeve and lid. Over the years it's become dingy from coffee dribbling down the side and soaking into the ceramic.
I'd like to soak it in something to brighten it back up but I'm afraid it will pick up the taste of whatever I soak it in? I've considered lemon juice or vinegar but I'm open to any suggestions, especially if anyone has actually cleaned these kinds of stains from ceramic before. Thx
Years ago there was something called "Dip-It" used to clean coffee pots, makers, cups, etc... Don't know it is still around for home use, but is sold for commercial.

https://www.ecolab.com/offerings/add...hing/dip-it-xp

Anyway the stuff was mostly oxygen bleach (sodium percarbonate), you can try soaking your cups in a solution made up of that. In fact most automatic dishwasher detergents contain oxygen bleaching agents instead of chlorine.

Our coffee cups/mugs go into dishwasher and they come out clean and free of coffee or tea stains for most part. If things have sat for a while then the stains may prove difficult, but usually after a few washes the last traces are gone.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:58 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
I'm looking for suggestions on removing coffee stains from a favorite cup. It's a porous ceramic 'starbucks look-alike' with the silicone sleeve and lid. Over the years it's become dingy from coffee dribbling down the side and soaking into the ceramic.
I'd like to soak it in something to brighten it back up but I'm afraid it will pick up the taste of whatever I soak it in? I've considered lemon juice or vinegar but I'm open to any suggestions, especially if anyone has actually cleaned these kinds of stains from ceramic before. Thx
OxyClean.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:48 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Mr. clean magic eraser then wash with soap and water.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:00 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Get some sodium percarbonate (oxygen bleach) either pure or one of the better based products. OxiClean is ok, but is mostly washing soda. Am thinking Cascade or any top shelf automatic dishwasher detergent would also work because they contain large amounts of oxygen bleach.

Fill sink with hot water and add two to three tablespoons of the oxygen bleach product, stir to dissolve (wearing gloves or use a utensil made of wood or plastic), then add your stained ceramic, plastic and whatever else you want stains removed and allow to soak for several hours. Stains should be gone in about an hour or so, keep checking and leave until marks are gone. Solution will remain active for about ten or so hours.

If you have a large enough plastic pail/bucket (clean, not something used for say mopping floors), you can do this in that sort of container rather than tie up your sink.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:19 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
Just use a toothbrush and baking soda. Wet the toothbrush and dip in the baking soda - scrub, repeat.

I use a little baking soda on a damp paper towel to clean the inside of all my coffee cups.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:23 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Plain old Baking Soda and water. I just pour some of the baking soda in the cup (about a tablespoon), add a little water just to wet the baking soda and then wipe it down with a paper towel. The paper towel will turn brown as it removes the stains. Rinse the cup with plain water. Easy Peasy.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:19 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
My dad swears by salt.
My dad swore by salt, as well, and, yes, it works beautifully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink