Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 10:18 AM

8,069 posts, read 10,665,644 times

Advertisements

My mother loves chocolate dipped strawberries and I have decided that I will prepare her a box of them for Mother's Day this year, which is this coming weekend. I checked into getting her some from Shari's Berries, but they are just too costly (a dozen for $45 ), so I am doing my own.

I did a "trial run" this weekend, but I was not very happy with the results. I used melted semi-sweet chocolate chips, and added some shortening to the mixture as several online recipes suggested, but the chocolate never "hardened" on the berries, even after refrigeration.

Several people have mentioned that I should use chocolate "melts" specifically made for melting/dipping instead of the chocolate chips. There are many different brands on Amazon which I could order, but it's confusing and prices vary widely.

Anyone out there with experience dipping chocolate, that could recommend a good chocolate brand, and possibly some tips for success doing this? I'd like to do both milk chocolate and white chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 10:30 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,442,743 times
I've done this every year for nearly two decades (usually my wedding anniversary and new years). Real chocolate is very difficult to get right, tempering is simply a PITA that takes a good understanding and a lot of skill to get right. The easier solution is to use the chocolate melts, as pointed out. On the low end, you could just pick up some chocolate bark (sometimes called almond bark) at any grocery store. It works just fine, is easy to use and the taste is good enough for most non-foodies. If you want to move more into foodie territory, try Wilton, Merckens, or Ghirardelli brands of melts. They're all very good with just slightly different flavor profiles (I'm not sure you could pick them out with a suitably ripe strawberry).

I use the store brand chocolate bark for our June anniv. because, frankly, I can't tell a difference with the in-season strawberries used then. At new years, I tend to go for whatever brand of quality melts I have on hand as the strawberries tend to be lacking.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:49 AM

24,717 posts, read 11,044,214 times
Chocolate bark is almost fool proof and you can play with black/white patterns. Or look for Baker's dipping chocolate.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:31 AM

22,403 posts, read 29,522,524 times
Yes and I usually end up drinking the leftover chocolate dip, lol

Old 05-04-2020, 12:13 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 1 day ago)

16,085 posts, read 21,212,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Chocolate bark is almost fool proof and you can play with black/white patterns. Or look for Baker's dipping chocolate.
I've used some version of this. This time of year I often see it in the produce section near the displays of berries, along with those mini spongecake cups and strawberry gelee https://media.fromthegrapevine.com/a...crop-scale.jpg

Old 05-04-2020, 12:20 PM

5,848 posts, read 6,205,683 times
I've done it several times and always been happy with the results. I just use the melting wafers (I think I use Giradelli), melt those in the microwave in a glass bowl (stirring often) then dip the strawberries and get them into the fridge asap. The chocolate always seems to stay on with no problems.

And as previously stated, licking the remaining chocolate in the bowl critical to success

Old 05-04-2020, 12:24 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,141,190 times
Easy peasy.

Don't add anything to the chocolate.

I use Nestlies chocolate chips, boil water, put a larger metal bowl over the pot, dump the chocolate chips, stir, then dip.

They harden nicely.

Leftover chocolate? Add sweetened, condensed milk, pour in a pan and Voila! Fudge!

Old 05-04-2020, 02:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,234,682 times
I did this years ago. I used melted semi sweet chips, without adding anything. If I remember, they tasted fine.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:36 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,920,170 times
I use Guittard chocolate chips and a small spoonful of lard. The consistency you're looking for is chocolate that coats the spoon, but allows the excess to drip off easily. Have the berries room temp and completely dry. I put the dipped strawberries on parchment paper to firm up, then put each one in a cupcake wrapper.

Shortening is fine to use instead of lard, I use lard because I'm allergic to shortening. I guess I'm a chocolate snob, because I would never use candy melts or almond bark coating for anything.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:45 PM

4,193 posts, read 3,415,122 times
Make sure your strawberries are at room temperature and DRY. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink