Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 02:23 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My dad has the most bizarre tastebuds. One day he told me he likes chipotle and I was shocked! He hates Thai food but like some Chinese and some Indian. We can’t get him in the Thai curry band wagon.
I find it strange that people limit their culinary experiences and won't try other cuisines. Yeah, I don't like some dishes, but I will never judge a cuisine based on a dish(es) I don't like. When you say chipotle, are you talking about the smoked jalapenoes, either as a dried chili or in adobo, or that horrible chain?

Old 06-14-2020, 04:21 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
and not-spicy salsa scream "junk food" to me. There is a place for that, and it's Taco Bell. Otherwise I'm more interested in other types of Mexican food. Street tacos, mmm....
Ahh but in Mexico various salsas are usually offered, some of which are spicy and some aren't. That's same as Taco Bell, where you can choose the mild, spicy or fire sauce. There is no real distinction in spiciness between Tex-Mex and Mexican cuisine, for both it depends on the recipe/region/dish. I've had chili con carne in Tex-Mex joints that was brain numbingly spicy, and Mexican street tacos at places where all the available salsas were relatively mild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
My husband did study abroad in college for a semester each in both Guanajuato, Mexico and Costa Rica. He says he was disappointed to find out that his host family in Mexico used to eat things like roasted chicken, pork chops and spaghetti for dinner most nights. "Authentic" is indeed a moving target.
Indeed, rotisserie chicken places are hugely popular in Mexico, there are lots of chains and smaller family places. They usually have various family paquetes that include the whole chicken, sides like beans/rice, salsas, and a stack of tortillas. Spaghetti is popular but like in Asia they usually make it sweeter than used to in USA and Europe, even familiar brands like Hunts have factories in Mexico that produce what we call the candy-marinara sauce.

Old 06-14-2020, 04:40 PM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
I love California Mexican--flour tortillas and avocado and melty cheese. I'm not fond of the real Mexican cheese (cotila?), too much like ricotta or feta. If it doesn't melt, it's not really cheese. I've eaten that style from Ensenada to Seattle, Hawaii, Minnesota...mmm

What do they call Tex-Mex in Texas? Probably just Mexican; I've spent a little time in Texas, I'm sure I ate Mexican food there (I don't much care for barbecue), but it doesn't stand out.
I only remember having Tex-Mex once--in Ohio. Not sure of the authenticity there, but I liked that queso! Ummmm, melty! It reminded me of a dish a friend used to make, melted Velveeta with bottled salsa. Tastes pretty good if you don't think about the ingredients.

New Mexican-Mexican food is too spicy for me, on a scofale of 1-10, it rates a 12.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Indeed, rotisserie chicken places are hugely popular in Mexico, there are lots of chains and smaller family places. They usually have various family paquetes that include the whole chicken, sides like beans/rice, salsas, and a stack of tortillas. Spaghetti is popular but like in Asia they usually make it sweeter than used to in USA and Europe, even familiar brands like Hunts have factories in Mexico that produce what we call the candy-marinara sauce.

Are they rotisserie chickens or are they chickens roasted on a grill. I know that in Tucson, in addition to El Pollo Loco, there are three Mexico-based chains that all have roasted chicken on grills in an open kitchen.

As for Filipino spaghetti sauce, that is one of the few Filipino foods that I cannot eat. It is so overly sweetened that even adding sausage or pepperoni does not cut the sweetness at all. As for that spaghetti sauce, most of it is imported from the Philippines.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I find it strange that people limit their culinary experiences and won't try other cuisines. Yeah, I don't like some dishes, but I will never judge a cuisine based on a dish(es) I don't like. When you say chipotle, are you talking about the smoked jalapenoes, either as a dried chili or in adobo, or that horrible chain?
The chain Chipotle! :P I was shocked when he said that. Chipotle, while kinda bland, is both predictable and relatively healthy. So I go occasionally - it is one of the best fast food options.

My dad is a lifelong picky eater. But he has branched out a little. My parents shop at the Mexican grocery store pretty often. He decided carnitas are OK. LOL.

Oddly he doesn't like Persian food, and usually any cuisine based on rice gets a pass from my dad. I find the greatest hits Persian is really palatable to picky eaters.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Indeed, rotisserie chicken places are hugely popular in Mexico, there are lots of chains and smaller family places. They usually have various family paquetes that include the whole chicken, sides like beans/rice, salsas, and a stack of tortillas.
I love El Pollo Loco, and wish it was a bigger chain. The chicken is so yummy!

Old 06-14-2020, 07:22 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Are they rotisserie chickens or are they chickens roasted on a grill.
Rotisserie, like here: https://goo.gl/maps/rcpzgZxcZBcLyrvs8

or here:

https://goo.gl/maps/5Ep2J8aKCLG8bP8z8

That second one we pass in the morning on our walk, those cats are out there at 7:30 am prepping those chickens doing whatever rubs and skewering them on the poles. By 10:00 the smell is to die for.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:12 PM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
After 40, when the tastebuds deaden, the fiery attack of peppers becomes a new joy to behold. Embrace the jalapeno, my friends... burn, baby, burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink