Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2020, 12:31 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times

Advertisements

"Undente", Steiconi? Is that a word? I dunno if we're going to your house for dinner!

Well, since they're already mixed, cook them until the thickest ones are al dente and then just deal with however it turns out? If there are any undente ones in there, well, spit them out like watermelon seeds? Hmm, macaroni spitting contests off the back porch. Maybe it can be a new quarantine thing?

Or just put them in one of those pretty containers and use them as a decoration and never cook them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 12:59 AM

61,665 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Great suggestions from posters, EXCEPT that the OP has already put the different brands together in one container ... so unless he can still tell them apart, he can't time them accurately now. Oops!

He probably already cook them and ate, now please report back, OP.

Old 08-29-2020, 07:33 AM

20,634 posts, read 4,415,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was wondering, are there any issues with mixing different brands of pasta, as long as they are the same style of cut? We had a large surplus of pasta that several of our packages were open, so we put them together in a pasta container. The mix is American Beauty with at least three dollar store brands. We want to keep them fresh in the container and use them before we open another bag/box.
I found a trick you can use for cooking pasta faster. It is used for non-boil baking pasta dishes. What you do is run the pasta under warm water to soften it up. Even though you mixed the pasta brands, you could still take the "thicker" pasta out to try this.

Old 08-30-2020, 11:21 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
OP will get a nice range of texture, from al dente to undente.
If they are all made from durum wheat, surely the cooking times will not vary by that much. Unless some pasta is whole wheat and some is regular.

Old 08-30-2020, 03:00 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
"Undente", Steiconi? Is that a word? I dunno if we're going to your house for dinner!

Well, since they're already mixed, cook them until the thickest ones are al dente and then just deal with however it turns out? If there are any undente ones in there, well, spit them out like watermelon seeds? Hmm, macaroni spitting contests off the back porch. Maybe it can be a new quarantine thing?

Or just put them in one of those pretty containers and use them as a decoration and never cook them.
I would rather toss them, then dust them, in the pretty containers.

Old 09-03-2020, 05:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
I did mix 2 kinds of pasta just a couple of nights ago. Without this thread I would, probably never thought of it. Anyway, not only different brands, but different types.They were similar in size so I gave it a try; it worked just fine.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:35 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,081,661 times
No, no, no! The Barilla will devour any other brand!

Old 09-03-2020, 07:36 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,329,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
No, no, no! The Barilla will devour any other brand!
I don't have any Barilla in the mix; the only name brand that is in the mix is American Beauty; the others I think are dollar store brands. Usually American Beauty is the brand we buy most often, but we aren't totally loyal to a specific brand.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:15 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
It's possible the cooking times could be different, so check that. We're at high altitude and have to add to the cooking time specified on the box. For instance, De Cecco brand takes a lot longer to cook than indicated on the box, as much as 5 mins longer, while Barilla takes from 0 to 1 min longer.
Interesting. I find that the cooking instructions for most brands of pasta is too long. DeCecco is a brand I have used frequently, and I cook it for 2-3 minutes less than indicated.

If I were to eat De Cecco cooked for 5 minutes longer than indicated, it would seem like pasta mush to me. I suspect if you were to come eat at my house, my al dente pasta would seem crunchy and uncooked to you.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:16 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was wondering, are there any issues with mixing different brands of pasta, as long as they are the same style of cut? We had a large surplus of pasta that several of our packages were open, so we put them together in a pasta container. The mix is American Beauty with at least three dollar store brands. We want to keep them fresh in the container and use them before we open another bag/box.
I do not and would not. Different brands - and even shapes, have different cook times. I'd just go to the store to get another box of the same. So if there is some left over, save it - or not.

Really, I don't have the patients to measure the cooking times of different brands of noodles. Maybe angel hair might work - but why? It's so cheap.

Anyway, I buy the same brand almost always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink