Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pandemic Potluck?
YES, a pandemic potluck at the job is fine . No worries. 11 16.42%
NO, a pandemic potluck at the job is irresponsible! It shouldn’t occur. 56 83.58%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 11:12 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times

Advertisements

I don't do Potlucks at the best of times....shudder the thought of doing it during a Pandemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 02:08 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
People breath droplets over food and sneeze and cough on it while they are in line and serving themselves. This is not a common flu. It's much more virulent. Handling the same serving utensils is a sure way to spread a virus.

Old 02-28-2021, 02:37 PM

433 posts, read 532,780 times
Recently went to a Buffet restaurant that had been significantly re-configured since the start of Corona. You wore a mask except while at your table eating, the front of the buffet was cordoned off with one-way traffic along the line. You put disposable gloves on before you went down the line. Desserts were pre-cut, on individual plates. There was hand sanitizer everywhere, of course. There were the usual "sneeze guards" on/over the food. Naturally, I got gabbing with the waitresses, and the owner/manager. The owner said business was off sixty percent and the take-out hadn't made up for the difference by a long shot. She also pointed out (probably correctly) that I was safer eating there than spending an equal amount of time at Wally World, etc.. I agreed, but, said I don't generally go to WW or Buffet places unless I HAVE to and this was a special one-time event. I'm an 80 year old geezer, but, I have had both of the vaccine shots. My biggest (only) complaint with the buffet line was the inability of parents to control their little darlings. As of old, they have to put their un-gloved hands up on the food, counter, etc..

Old 02-28-2021, 04:48 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,316,080 times
Food really cannot transmit the virus.

The whole reason there has been a lockdown at restaurants is not because of food but because groups congregate in restaurants without masks (you have to eat/drink) and most restaurants do not have adequate ventilation therefore it spreads the virus.

The virus is transmitted through the air, and precisely why masks and ventilation and protectors are such big things now to help keep the spread down.

I had a potluck Thanksgiving but it was with a small group of about 5/6 of us. Being outside helps a lot if you have that option. But I would not encourage a pot luck with more than 20 people unless you are vaccinated or can be outside. (hoping to get mine next month!)

Old 02-28-2021, 06:25 PM

41,963 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
when we do open back up, we're going to be working flex schedules (2 days in, 3 days at home) to reduce the number of people in the office on any given day and increase the space between us. We have to be masked anytime we're not sitting at our desk. And break rooms will be closed off. We either have to eat at our desks or outside/in our cars.
Our office has been operating this way since July. The break rooms are open to use the microwave and refrigerator, but the chairs have been taken away. No potlucks or even catered meals for us, either. I eat at my desk. And I love the 3-2 split!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I like pot lucks. I enjoy trying other peoples food they make at home. I figure since they work with me every day, it's not like eating food from complete strangers standing at some corner.
I eat food from complete strangers standing at a corner, too! I'm a food cart junkie. But I agree: No potlucks during a pandemic.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:55 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Just bypass the bat meat delicacies.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:03 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,861,321 times
I answered no ; however, I have gone to one church potluck but there were very few people there. I would not want to have potluck at a workplace where there are 10s of people and eating at different times like I did when I was working.

Our Luby's cafeteria is open again but servers dish the food with masks and gloves and there are guards protecting the meal. As far as serve yourself buffets, NO WAY.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:37 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
I have never been a fan of potluck meals in any type of situation. I'll pass.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:31 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
The only way I could imagine doing a potluck with anyone now is if every single person is fully vaccinated. Unless you work in a nursing home or healthcare setting, that's unlikely.

Old 03-01-2021, 10:34 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
People have so much faith in this vaccine... You realize they're saying you can still both catch and transmit it afterwards and you must continue the precautions, right? It "may" prevent Covid, per Moderna's website. At any rate, possible transmission by food was long ago dismissed, and by touch not long after; it's airborne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink