Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 08:04 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times

Advertisements

I was just reading "Where the Crawdads Sing" (ugh!) where characters are eating turnip greens, and I realized I've never even seen that at a supermarket. I've seen greens on carrots and beets, but never turnips.

Have you had them? What are they like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 08:13 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
They are usually sold separate from the turnips, in bags, like spinach and lettuce.

My mother prepared them every once in a while but did not like the labor involved in washing them (before the washed greens in a bag were a thing). It was hard to get all of the grit off of them. She cooked them with salt, a dash of sugar, and fatback.

They can be bitter. I will eat them, but they are not on my list of favorites. My dad liked to put hot sauce on them.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:18 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
I don't like greens boiled or 'cooked down'. Lightly braised in bacon grease with some onions is better. I still have to be in the right mood to really enjoy them though. Have you had cooked kale, or cooked spinach?

Old 06-24-2021, 08:36 PM

130,194 posts, read 12,093,129 times
I have seen them for sale in bags, the same as I see bags of kale or collard greens. I like all greens, so I do eat them, but not often.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:49 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Cracker Barrel restaurants have them on the menu, which is where I first had them.

This might make you clutch your pearls in horror, but Glory Seasoned Turnip Greens in the can are pretty good.

https://gloryfoods.com/products/gree...turnip-greens/

Old 06-24-2021, 09:15 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Cracker Barrel restaurants have them on the menu, which is where I first had them.

This might make you clutch your pearls in horror, but Glory Seasoned Turnip Greens in the can are pretty good.

https://gloryfoods.com/products/gree...turnip-greens/
Agree. Those Glory seasoned greens are pretty darn good for something out of a can. And a fair amount of spice as well. I get them occasionally.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:19 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
I ran a cafeteria down south immediately after college. Every day, we would serve one of five greens - turnip, mustard, collard, kale, and spinach. Sometimes, we would serve the turnip greens with the routes. It is kind of funny but each type of green had those who loved it and those who did not.

Collards are the mildest of the greens. You can remove the stems, cut them into very thin strips (chiffonade is the technical term), and I will fry them up in olive oils with garlic and occasionally red chili flakes.

Turnip greens are a little more tough than the others and do best when cooked in a pot with smoke ham (preferably country ham) or smoked pork neck bones, or turkey wings. Many also throw in some of the root. I do not do that as I would have to buy those separately.

In the Midwest, we generally eat more Swiss chard and dandelions, both of which tend to be more bitter than the Southern greens in the northeast, you find more rapini or broccoli rabe. These varieties are more bitter.

I would agree that the BEST canned greens are definitely the Glory brand, which are produced in that great Southern city of Columbus, OH. I also like the Allen and Margaret Holmes brand.

I just scored a deal on some Berger's Smokehouse (MO) country ham and country bacon at $1.75/lb and I plan to cook a couple pots of greens in the coming weeks.

Old 06-25-2021, 06:08 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
They don't have to be cooked to death in bacon grease or packed with a kazillion grams of sodium like the canned version to taste great and keep them healthy. Try this easy quick recipe...https://addapinch.com/spicy-skillet-...greens-recipe/

Old 06-25-2021, 06:49 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
as a former snowbird (Alabama) I encountered many kinds of greens, hated them all. DH loved them. We used to see pickup trucks by the roadside, selling greens out of the back. They did a great business. People down south love their greens.

Old 06-25-2021, 07:10 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
They're like other greens, but of course with their own distinct taste.

Kale
Collards
Turnip tops (the subject at hand; they're darn good mixed with chunks of turnip - ”turnips and tops”)
Mustard (I don't see this in stores very often, but they're really really good)
Chard (soft; cooks down a lot)
Spinach (really soft: a bushel of spinach cooks down to about two tablespoons - there's so much labor in stemming and washing and you get so litttle spinach out of it, that I hardly ever cook spinach any more. I do use it a lot raw in salads.)

One that is not sold in stores much at all is BEET greens. I hate beets, but I LOVE beet greens. My wife likes beets, but you have to start with a ton of beets to get a few greens. She doesn't like beets that well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink