Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 11:02 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
There's nothing wrong with peasant food as long as you like it. Some of the best food in the world is peasant food including Italian, but we're all different.

Yeah, I don't get why he's being snobby about it. Street tacos in Mexico City are peasant food. Most Vietnamese food is peasant food. Southern staples like biscuits and gravy are technically peasant food.

But Chinese food isn't peasant food? I'm sure there are upscale and "peasant" Chinese dishes.

Japan and Korea are more wealthy countries so of course the food they eat will be more upscale and expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 02:31 PM

1,847 posts, read 833,102 times
1. South Indian (more Vegetarian and creamy)
2. Vietnamese (enjoy more on a hot day for some reason)
3. North Indian
4. Chinese
5. Thai
6. Korean (not a fan of there spice choices)

Haven't experienced much Japanese outside of different noodle dishes. Based on noodles dishes 2nd place.

Old 09-23-2021, 03:16 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I predict in another decade that Chinese culture and cuisine will take over because more and more westerners are visiting and living in China and discovering that China is actually a huge melting pot. There are 80 languages spoken in China and 5 main food cuisines. So it's unfair that Americans think that chinese food is just chop suey and fried rice.

I rank Thai last because it's peasant food at best.
Depending on how you look at it - there are actually eight main cuisines that make up Chinese food.

Not sure what you mean by peasant food. But some of my favorite foods are essentially street foods.

As for my favorite Asian Cuisine - I actually love Taiwanese Dim Sum. Essentially street food found in Taiwan night markets.

While there are many great authentic Chinese restaurants in the US, most about as Chinese as Taco Bell is Mexican and Olive Garden is Italian. Not that they are bad chefs, etc - but you simply have to cater to the local taste.

For anyone interested - there is a documentary called "The search of General Tso" about Chinese Cuisine in the US (specifically, the origin of the dish). Early in the film, someone walked around China with a picture of General Tso's Chicken dish. Most had no clue what the dish was....

Old 09-23-2021, 04:53 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,185,387 times
One of the best dishes we had globally was Hairy Crabs in China. I've haven't seen that dish in the US.

Old 09-23-2021, 10:42 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
What are your favorite and least favorite Asian cuisines?

I'll start with mine, in order of most favorite to least favorite.

1. Thai ME #1 (I'LL ADD SUSHI HERE)

2. Chinese ME #4 (TIE)

3. Vietnamese ME #2
4. Indian ME #3
5. Japanese ME #7
6. Central Asian ME #4 (TIE)
7. Korean ME #6

I really like anything Asian

Old 09-24-2021, 03:29 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Japanese is easily the best. After that probably Cantonese. Thai is pretty good too.

Old 09-24-2021, 06:27 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Thai is the least favorite across all of Asian countries, it's considered peasant food. Ask any Chinese, Japanese, and Korean if they like Thai and they would agree with me. You have obviously not sampled all of the Asian cuisines has to offer to say that Thai is the best but that's ok it's your opinion.

Chinese Sichuan has the spiciest dishes along with Indian Ghost peppers and Thai chilli is 3rd.

If I had to give my preferences based on larger universal Asian preferences it would be this:

1. Japanese (Artisan level seafood, attention to ingredient quality, meticulous detail)
2. Chinese (Largest cuisine differentiations and most diverse)
3. Korean (The best beef dishes in Asia)
4. Indian
5 Vietnamese
6. Thai
7. Central Asian (malaysian, laos, cambodian, etc.)
Peasant food is good. I am descended from hard working people, some of whom would be considered peasants & I am proud of my heritage, they worked hard & were honest.

More than I can say about some "royal" bloodlines. I would wager that the overwhelming majority of us are descended from peasants in Europe or Asia.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
1. Thai
2. Korean
3. Japanese
4. Vietnamese
5. Central Asian
6. Indian
7. Chinese

I love Thai because it's so spicy. I love Korean because it's also spicy and it's interesting. I love Japanese because it seems very pure (other than the MSG - LOL). I really love all Asian foods and enjoy Asian Fusion restaurants.

I lived in Japan as a child and I also have a lot of Korean people in my immediate family - my brother, my grandson (both adopted from the same orphanage 40 years apart) and my daughter in law. Probably because of all this Korean influence, I have really delved into their cuisine and it is DELICIOUS to me. And my mom took a lot of Japanese cooking courses - from the Japanese - when we lived there so I got to experience the best of Japanese cuisine.

I love Vietnamese because there's so much variety. We have terrific Vietnamese restaurants in Texas, especially in the Houston area. I also really, really like Central Asian, Indian and Chinese food - I just had to put them behind the others because...well, they had to be ranked.

Countries that end in "stan" - YUM. Indian food - YUM. Chinese food - real or Americanized - well, I like Americanized Chinese food but the real stuff, especially the street stuff, sort of turns me off. That's why I put them last. But even in last place - Asian food rocks.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:39 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
What are your favorite and least favorite Asian cuisines?

I'll start with mine, in order of most favorite to least favorite.

1. Thai ME #1 (I'LL ADD SUSHI HERE)

2. Chinese ME #4 (TIE)

3. Vietnamese ME #2
4. Indian ME #3
5. Japanese ME #7
6. Central Asian ME #4 (TIE)
7. Korean ME #6

I really like anything Asian
It's a little strange that you put sushi in with Thai food as #1, but put Japanese food last. Is sushi the only Japanese food you like or did you not realize that sushi is Japanese?

Old 09-24-2021, 10:01 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Peasant food is good. I am descended from hard working people, some of whom would be considered peasants & I am proud of my heritage, they worked hard & were honest.

More than I can say about some "royal" bloodlines. I would wager that the overwhelming majority of us are descended from peasants in Europe or Asia.
Chinese take out food that is only available in America mostly are peasant grade and Thai is no different. It shows your food experience is more of recent.

Over a decade ago Thai food is your local ethic cheap eats next to Chinese take out. Today Thai places are owned and operated by former Chinese restaurant operators. They know Thai dishes are nothing more than Chinese dishes with slightly different ingredients.

Pad thai is no different than many Viet and Chinese dishes using rice noodles, it is a joke how much they sell Pad Thai to retards for $15 when it used to be $4 specials.

Chinese cuisine however has dishes that only the emperor gets to eat that are available today if you know where to find it.

I've traveled to Beijin and Shanghai and had various authentic dishes and it fits the bill of having the most difficult dishes in the world to create.

Even Chef Ramsay tries to recreate some of the Chinese dishes and he struggled. This is not your take out variety, LOL.

A lot of Youtube Channels are now showing real Chinese food. Any Asian person knows take out Chinese is not Chinese. Duck sauce is American, it was created just to get Americans into Chinese places back then.

I'm pretty confident that Chinese food will become the new trendy eats soon but I really hate how food trends make everything overprice.

ETHNIC FOOD SHOULD NEVER BE OVERPRICED!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink