Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2022, 11:09 AM

1,139 posts, read 615,707 times

Advertisements

We in the western world are pretty much meat and potatoes when it comes to cuisine. And a lot of us are so divorced from where our food comes.

I have been fortunate enough to know many cultures and have eaten lots of different foods.

The strangest stuff I've eaten is definitely offal (animal organs).

Chicken hearts and gizzards, cow tongue and stomach, chicken feet, pig feet and stomach and intestines.

I remember as a teen going into my Guyanese friend's place and smelling something wonderful. Looking at the pot on the stove I see a colourful mishmash of meats and veggie things. I asked to try it... it was wonderful. Spicy. A bit barnyardy lol. It was spicy lamb or goat intestines stewed with assort veggies.

I think food is an adventure. Look at other cultures and what they eat... it's nutritious and even delicious.

The one food I am hesitant to try are insects... they kinda freak me out lol.

What is the weirdest foods that you've had?

Old 08-28-2022, 11:26 AM

189 posts, read 70,030 times
Sweetbreads.

Old 08-28-2022, 11:31 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
I’m Cajun. Growing up our bar-b-que included chicken hearts, liver, and gizzards. Our family would make a cup with aluminum foil. The chicken organs were placed in the cup with a bit of Lack Millers BBQ sauce (a local favorite). Our rice dressing was traditionally made with liver. Our boudin was a mix of rice, meat, peppers, and seasonings stuffed into intestines forming links like sausage. At one time crawfish was a poverty food of shame and now is used in dishes in many countries. Fried frog legs are delicious and made to taste even better with a light drizzle of lemon juice. I’ve had relatives who caught alligator (back when it was still illegal) and cooked it in a variety of ways. One cooked it in a tomato sauce in a pot and served over cooked rice. Another made fillets out of the tail meat and marinade the meat to tenderize for a day or two before putting them on the grill. One uncle use to fish, hunt, and trap in the swamps. One day he invited us over for a roast. When we opened the pot we saw small pieces of meat instead of the full size roast. He told us he cut it up to cook faster. It was delicious. As we were nearly finished he told us it was nutria, a large water rodent.

Old 08-28-2022, 11:37 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Thread already in progress:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/food...bo-do-you.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink