Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 01:57 PM

3,125 posts, read 5,048,180 times

Advertisements

I like Mighty Leaf tea.

If you haven't tried it you can get a sampler to try the different flavors.

https://www.mighty-leaf.com/collecti...12183739990085

Organic African Nectar is my favorite. Organic Turmeric Ginger, White Orchard (caffeinated), Earl Grey Decaf and Ginger Twist are also very good. I'm not good with caffeine so have to stick with decaff.

Last edited by mic111; 09-01-2022 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 02:03 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,150,036 times
It's interesting that so many people enjoy Earl Grey.

Old 09-01-2022, 02:16 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Out of curiosity, how many times do you typically use your tea leaves, whether loose or in bags? I found that when I began using high-quality loose tea leaves, a second brew tasted as good as the first, so I started keeping the tea leaves and re-brewing overnight for iced tea. The caffeine is diminished, but the flavor is still excellent.
Good Sencha gets 3 steeps, google it and you get very specific instructions for water temp and steep times for each cycle. Actual tea bags are used once, then thrown away. Tisane bags (herbal teas, basically) will be steeped as many times as it is still giving out flavor. A good powdered Ginger tisane can last you 3-4 steeps and still be yummy. Whole black leaves normally get two steeps.

Old 09-01-2022, 02:19 PM

Quote:
It's good, but I actually prefer Lady Grey. Speaking of brands. Tetley Cardamom bags are maybe my favorite afternoon tea, but it is a rare treat, not for sale where I live and they don't last long in my house.

In general, I would say we go through 7-8 tea bags a day, minimum, as a family. More like 10-12 during sun tea season.

Old 09-01-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
It's good, but I actually prefer Lady Grey. Speaking of brands. Tetley Cardamom bags are maybe my favorite afternoon tea, but it is a rare treat, not for sale where I live and they don't last long in my house.

In general, I would say we go through 7-8 tea bags a day, minimum, as a family. More like 10-12 during sun tea season.
That's a lot! We usually brew one pot of tea in the morning with a couple of teaspoons of loose tea leaves, but there are only two of us. The second brew happens in the evening with the morning's tea leaves, and we leave it overnight to steep.

Old 09-01-2022, 05:29 PM

Quote:
That's a lot! We usually brew one pot of tea in the morning with a couple of teaspoons of loose tea leaves, but there are only two of us. The second brew happens in the evening with the morning's tea leaves, and we leave it overnight to steep.
Yeah, we go through a lot of tea, drinking it is one of the real joys of living, IMO.

My wife starts the day with a "double tea" two bags, one mug, then switches to coffee for the rest of the day. I normally get one or two cups in me before lunch time depending on the time of year and the weather, then switched to iced tea (4 bags in either a mason jar for sun tea, or 4 bags in two cups of hot water which I then dilute with ice) to get me through the rest of the day. I work 2nd shift for much of the year, so I cut off caffeine consumption at about 7:00pm and ride it out from there.

If we are able to make sun tea, my youngest daughter is normally good for a glass, and sometimes my older, although she prefers herbal teas.

Old 09-01-2022, 06:24 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,558 times
Quote:
A lot of people like teas with added flavoring and non tea herbal infusions. Different strokes.

Old 09-01-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
A lot of people like teas with added flavoring and non tea herbal infusions. Different strokes.
Of course. I just didn't know how popular Earl Grey is.

Old 09-01-2022, 06:36 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
My current 3 favorites are:
Stash Premium Green Tea loose leaves
Uncle Lee's Organic White Tea tea bags
Yogi Lemon Ginger Tea (no caffeine) tea bags

I'd like to find a good caffeine-free green, white, or black tea, hope someone may name one.

I rarely drink iced tea, almost always hot with some milk.
I remember ordering gunpowder tea in Philly's Chinatown at lunch and getting a frown and headshake from the lady taking my order. I think milky tea is in my 99% mostly Brit DNA. I can't drink gunpowder tea anymore, too much caffeine gives me a headache.

We have a camellia bush out front, maybe I'll try that when it's putting out fresh baby leaves.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:27 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,916 times
I need to add that the essential part of brewing a good pot of tea is to pour the boiling water over the tea, then steeping.

For a proper English cup of tea, remember this good old saying, "Milk before sugar means you'll lose your lover!"

When making each cup, put the sugar in, then the milk, then the steeped tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink