Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 09:50 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
If my eggs are well past the date, can I hard boil them and eat them? I'm afraid to try to bake with them and I hate to waste them. I'd also love the shells for my compost.

I received some training from US Army chefs when I was working in the industry. They noted that fresh eggs, if kept under refrigeration, would last nine months. I have kept them for approximately four months past the "sell by date" with no problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 12:07 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
The float test is tried and true. Freshest eggs will lay flat on the bottom. The ones that "stand" are the ones that need to be used soon. Toss the floaters - and not hard! You don't want to break a bad egg, especially not indoors. That smell will linger like skunk funk.

Regarding the repackaging, they won't repackage the eggs into a different date's package, but what they WILL do is take the good, uncracked eggs that are salvageable and replace them in the same packages from that lot, as they toss out the eggs that cracked and leaked.

Old 10-03-2022, 12:33 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
A supermarket should take cracked eggs off the shelf.

OK, jlawrence gave me the answer I needed. Because I wouldn't be posting on here if the expiration date (such as it is) was last week. I've also had eggs in my fridge for long enough that the yolks looked darker than normal and they didn't perform well in a bake - which is about when I started wondering how long they could last. Before that, they lasted until I ate them. Or cooked with them.

I'll do the float test and boil the rest, so thanks for the advice. And you can only compost the shells and I will not open a bunch of bad eggs to collect some shells. The floaters are going in a ziploc and out with the trash.

BTW, I have no clue where the eggs came from or how old they are as I live in a rural area and people bring all sorts of things to work to trade off, like eggs, chicken breasts, every fruit and veg and herb all summer long, and relishes and pickles, baked goods, etc.

Old 10-03-2022, 08:30 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,393,957 times
older eggs are great for hard boiling; the shells come off more easily.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:10 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
If my eggs are well past the date, can I hard boil them and eat them? I'm afraid to try to bake with them and I hate to waste them. I'd also love the shells for my compost.
Didn't know eggs had a date. I have drunk milk past due a week and I am still here.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:14 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
OK, jlawrence gave me the answer I needed. Because I wouldn't be posting on here if the expiration date (such as it is) was last week. I've also had eggs in my fridge for long enough that the yolks looked darker than normal and they didn't perform well in a bake - which is about when I started wondering how long they could last. Before that, they lasted until I ate them. Or cooked with them.

Since the pandemic, I have been keeping six dozen eggs in the house that I have purchased between $0.99-1.49/ dozen. Most weeks, eggs have been running $2.49-3.29/doz. However, when they are on sale, you can get some great sales.

My expiration dates run from August 25th - October 25th at the current time.

Old 10-03-2022, 11:24 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Past due dates are largely a marketing ploy to get grocers to toss good food and restock their shelves with new purchases, and to give a modicum of liability protection...Those dates mean nothing about the actual safety of the food.
My wife takes a "Use by" or "Best By" date as "Turns to Poison on", even canned food.

Often the "Best By" dates helps stores clear out merchandise that may have "old labelling" that the manufacturer wants to get rid of. For example "New and Improved" can only be used for a limited time, and you don't want Santa on Coke cans in March when you're trying to tie in with the NCAA Tournament.

Old 10-03-2022, 01:48 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Fresh eggs make merengues easily. Old eggs don't, but are great for hard-boiling, as noted above. Floaters happen as the air pocket size increases. An egg that slowly floats can be just fine. If it pops out of the water and a chicken appears, you might want to pass.

Old 10-03-2022, 01:53 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
My wife takes a "Use by" or "Best By" date as "Turns to Poison on", even canned food.
I hope she at least donates the cans to a food bank, instead of throwing them in the trash.

After my mother-in-law shops, she writes the best-by date on each package in big numbers with a Sharpie to make sure she doesn't let anything slip by. She also considers herself a "prepper," so she always buys more than she thinks she'll use. And for years she has given us all the food which is in danger of Passing the Expiration Date within the next month or so.

It never seems to occur to her that although my family eats this obviously dodgy food, we're healthier than she is.

Old 10-03-2022, 03:23 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Forget the compote pile. Eggshells are excellent for scouring the garbage disposal.

I have used eggs 4 wks beyond the sell by date for eating or baking as long as they look & smell OK and don't float. The whites may get watery in some after a few weeks but they cook up alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink