Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:22 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
corn is bad for you. there's a reason it comes out whole in your poop. might as well just feed them more hot dogs and nuggets.

try pancakes and homemade waffles. buy organic stuff, including the syrup.
Corn is not bad for you, please show me your credible resources for this.

Corn does not digest if you do not break the outer protective coating which is resistant to being digested, has nothing to do with it being bad for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 09:25 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
How about not shoving the kids faces with junk food like so many have listed. The high salt, high fat and junk carbs food is not good for someone.

Sure, everyone says "every now and then" but in reality it is every other day.

Everyone afraid to actually cook anymore?

Many of the things listed I would not even feed a dog, let alone a child.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:01 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
It is worrying, isn't it, when we look around and see what kids are being fed. And what we're stuffing our faces with, too...

And it's not just that all the processed prepackaged foods chock-full of sugar, artifical additives, artificial sweeteners, etc. are bad for us and our children - but that all the money we spend on these junk "foods" is only serving to keep these products and more like them (or worse products) being made and marketed for children and families. It just keeps spiralling more and more out of control. And it's marketed in ways which make most of us think we need it, or that it will somehow make our lives easier.

We don't, and it doesn't.

It's really sick. And, it's making us and our planet very sick. And it's expensive!

Think of all the packaging that goes into landfills or all that energy needed to recycle all the cardboard and plastic and whatnot...

Think of the benefits and packaging of more healthy and wholesome choices? An apple? Grapes? Vegetable sticks? Beans pureed to make a soup or dip or dressing? Whole grains ground into flour to make everything from breads to tortilla's to muffins to pancakes? Rice? Buy these things in bulk and reuse the containers you use to shop for them. You will save money and reduce the amount you have to throw away or recycle.

I know we're all busy... mom's are busy people... but I know from experience that it doesn't take long to actually cook or prepare salads or slice fruit or assemble a snack plate full of nutritious foods. You can also cook ahead and freeze meals like dinner that might take a little longer. Boiling water doesn't take long and neither does slicing some veggies. A slow cooker can totally be your friend on days you want a nice meal and have very little time. Really if we care about anything at all we will do this for our children and for the future of our planet. We'll end up saving money as well.

Plus - it will send a message to the food industry - telling them where our values lay.

It really concerns me that most of the processed prepackaged foods sold in grocery stores across the country contain genetically modified ingredients and yet NONE are labeled, or are required to be labeled. That offends me. What ARE we feeding ourselves and our children? When we do buy the packaged foods (like canned tomatoes when fresh tomatoes are not in season) I always look for the certified organic ones or ones that state on the package that they contain NO GMO's... that is important to me.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:42 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,649,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
How about not shoving the kids faces with junk food like so many have listed. The high salt, high fat and junk carbs food is not good for someone.

Sure, everyone says "every now and then" but in reality it is every other day.

Everyone afraid to actually cook anymore?

Many of the things listed I would not even feed a dog, let alone a child.
I think you are being a little rough on everyone, especially not knowing their particular circumstances. I think everyone can agree on feeding children the healthiest foods they can. But there are other things that come into play such as both parents working long hours leaving little time for all those homemade snacks, etc.

My DIL, bless her heart, has 5 children between 3 & 11 and is a SAHM, who is also in college for her BS degree. Between school, the kids after school practices/games, cleaning/washing, shopping, her studies, homework, etc., she still finds time to make three nutritious meals a day. But 5 children will snack you out of house and home. She has no time to prepare additional foods from scratch. She does keep veggies & fruit in the home, but it's not enough.

I think the lists that most posters here gave are examples only. I doubt anyone feeds their three year old nothing but hot dogs and chips with a coke and cookies all day. Thank goodness the schools are seeing the light of day about what they are feeding our children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink