Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 01:00 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times

Advertisements

I just don't get it. I don't understand the appeal.

I bought one this week and baked it and I got 3 measuring cups, a mixing bowl, a spatula, beaters, spoon, baking pans, cookie sheet all dirty, so it involved plenty of dirty dishes. I had to provide the eggs and oil, which are the most expensive ingredients. It took the same amount of time to mix and bake and in the end, it is not good cake.

The only work it saved me was I didn't have to measure the flour or sugar and I would have gotten an additional teaspoon dirty if I made a cake from scratch because I would have put vanilla extract into it. I'd have the exact same mess, a bit less expense, the same time involved, and I'd end up with a much better cake if I just made one from scratch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2022, 10:20 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
Sounds like cake mixes are not for you. In which case, just skip them, and make your own from scratch. A real recipe with real ingredients is always better tasting that the ones with a list of chemicals in the ingredients.

Old 12-11-2022, 10:34 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
I don't get pancake mixes either.
YMMV

Old 12-12-2022, 06:37 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
You make cake mixes sound like more of an ordeal than they are. One bowl, one liquid measuring cup (use the same for water and oil), one spatula, and one baking pan. Not sure why all the extra.

For me the benefit of cake mixes is that I don't have to keep multiple ingredients that I rarely use and invariably go to waste because I bake so infrequently. One box gives me exactly the quantities I need.

Old 12-12-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You make cake mixes sound like more of an ordeal than they are. One bowl, one liquid measuring cup (use the same for water and oil), one spatula, and one baking pan. Not sure why all the extra.

For me the benefit of cake mixes is that I don't have to keep multiple ingredients that I rarely use and invariably go to waste because I bake so infrequently. One box gives me exactly the quantities I need.
OTOH, sounds like cake mixes are right up your alley. They are in fact convenient and they make cake-making very simple with consistent and predictable results. Plus, there are so many ways to jazz them up and reimagine them for an even more interesting and tasty result. I've seen them turned into anything from cookies to cobblers.

My mom, coming from the old country and not really liking to bake, only ever made traditional sponge cake from scratch once in a blue moon. Her recipe had separated eggs, sugar, and flour, nothing else.

However, one time a friend brought a cake to a potluck that my mom enjoyed so much she got the recipe. It was something like poke cake, it involved preparing a yellow cake mix in a 9x13 pan, then poking the cake, pouring a large pack of red Jello prepared as instructed on package but adding a large can of drained fruit cocktail first, putting it into the fridge to set, and then smearing with a tub of cool whip.

Old 12-12-2022, 01:00 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
However, one time a friend brought a cake to a potluck that my mom enjoyed so much she got the recipe. It was something like poke cake, it involved preparing a yellow cake mix in a 9x13 pan, then poking the cake, pouring a large pack of red Jello prepared as instructed on package but adding a large can of drained fruit cocktail first, putting it into the fridge to set, and then smearing with a tub of cool whip.
Similarly, years ago, my grandma-figure brought an amazing bundt cake to a baby shower. I got the recipe from her*, and it was a yellow cake mix with vanilla pudding mix added, then a glaze made from orange juice drizzled over. Super mid-century convenience recipe, but it was legit delicious.

* She was probably around 90 at the time, and she wrote the recipe on a little card in her shaky handwriting. I treasure it to this day.

Old 12-12-2022, 04:13 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,381,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Similarly, years ago, my grandma-figure brought an amazing bundt cake to a baby shower. I got the recipe from her*, and it was a yellow cake mix with vanilla pudding mix added, then a glaze made from orange juice drizzled over. Super mid-century convenience recipe, but it was legit delicious.

* She was probably around 90 at the time, and she wrote the recipe on a little card in her shaky handwriting. I treasure it to this day.
Yep. I make a bundt ckae like that with a Duncan Hines yellow cake mix and a box of pistachio pudding. The cake is super moist, has a pretty pale green color and I make an almond flavored sugar glaze and then sprinkle chopped pistachios all over the top. It is surpisingly delicious -- very popular in the 70's.

Old 12-12-2022, 04:58 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,559,268 times
Franny, some of them are really good. But I have to agree with OregonWoodSmoke. Add your own stuff, (especially at this point they are adding all kinds of crap to our food nowadays)
All "Cake" mix is is regular white flour with some cornstarch added to it to lighten it up and make it rise and be light. You can do that at home. Make pistachio pudding for the mix for the moistness. jmho.

Old 12-12-2022, 05:01 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,055,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
.................., and then smearing with a tub of cool whip.

Now see, right there is the answer. You could smear a tub of cool whip on bear scat and most people would like it! LOL

Old 12-12-2022, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

Oh yum, this sounds delicious - do you know how she made the orange juice glaze? I love baking bundt cakes, but I usually do the knock-off Tortuga rum cake. My kids would love an orange themed cake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink