Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 10:31 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times

Advertisements

I saw on the show extreme cheapskates a woman cooked a lasagna in her dishwasher. Her guests said it was very watery
and nasty tasting. Plus it took over 2 hours to cook and since she is cheap she only use 1/2 lb. ground beef and mixed it with beef fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2023, 10:44 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
There is a food scientist on the internet who debunks a good number of Instagram and TikTok videos that show incredible food items. In many cases, she and her staff try to recreate the videos just to find out that they just don't work.

You have to remember that most of these videos are made as click bait as opposed advancing home cooking.

Old 10-30-2023, 11:40 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Huh. We have the same KitchenAid dishwasher.

If I put fish in my wifes dishwasher she would eviscerate me in short order.

Old 10-30-2023, 12:16 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
I first saw somebody cook a meal in the dishwasher several years ago. You seal the food, so it doesn't get wet. It works, but why bother?

I recently found a site that told how to cook several foods in a bread machine. Apparently, bread machines are allowed in dorms where other cooking appliances are not.

Ditto for coffee makers, you can cook noodles or heat soup in them.

Old 10-30-2023, 12:21 PM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
Whats the point? My dw takes about an hour full cycle. FIsh can be cooked in minutes on the stove top. Plus I don't want a flake of fish stuck to my drinking glass.

I agree it is just a quest for her 15 minutes of fame.

Old 10-30-2023, 12:26 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
I remember a friend's mother doing this when I was a kid, so that would be the early 1980's. Nothing new, but still more of a "thing" than actually cooking it yourself.

I don't cook food in my dishwasher, but I've been known to clean a bike helmet and/or a baseball cap in there. (No, I don't think that's gross. The inside of my DW might be the cleanest thing anywhere, it gets santized every time it's used, and that includes "after being used to clean a helmet".)

Old 10-30-2023, 12:42 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
I've cooked manifold meals a few times. Basically to see how it would work. Wrap up a hobo dinner in foil, wire wrap to the exhaust manifold of the car or truck, drive to your location and eat. Not a precise method of cooking, but it got the job done.

I do have a truckers oven- a lunchbox looking heater that plugs into the cigarette lighter in the car. They have little aluminum pans that sit in them. That does work and is awesome during hunting season when I want a hot sandwich or mac n cheese.

Old 10-30-2023, 01:40 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Who cooks in their coffee maker? That's messed up.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/food...aker-food.html

Old 10-30-2023, 01:47 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,532,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I've cooked manifold meals a few times. Basically to see how it would work. Wrap up a hobo dinner in foil, wire wrap to the exhaust manifold of the car or truck, drive to your location and eat. Not a precise method of cooking, but it got the job done.

I do have a truckers oven- a lunchbox looking heater that plugs into the cigarette lighter in the car. They have little aluminum pans that sit in them. That does work and is awesome during hunting season when I want a hot sandwich or mac n cheese.
When I worked for the state highway department, some of us in the winter, when working where we couldn't get to town for lunch, would have a sandwich wrapped in foil, leave the truck running, and put the sandwich on the defrost vent. Not the hottest, but warm!

Now if you really want something odd, but it tastes great, in the summers when we're putting down blacktop, we would cook corn on the cob in the hot blacktop. That stuff is around 350 degrees when dumped in the truck. We'd get some ears of corn, fresh from the field (sometimes we even asked the farmers! LOL) and stick them, still in the shucks, down in the blacktop, leaving the silks sticking out so we could find them. In the 30 or so minutes it would take to get to the job site, the heat would cook the corn, but the oil in the blacktop couldn't get through the shucks. Somebody would bring some squeeze butter and some salt and we had a great lunch.

Old 10-30-2023, 05:25 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,245,475 times
Next internet tip: How to get that fish smell out of your dishwasher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink