Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:47 AM

148 posts, read 644,782 times

Advertisements

My father is always talking about the good old days and one of the good things from that era was better food... in his opinion. He said back then the restaurants decided that they were going to have high quality food and had more pride in their products so they gave all of us great cuisine.

My Dad said the peak years for eating out was the 1960s when folks just started to go to restaurants and the owners were only individuals who had alot of pride. Now it is mostly corporate ownership and they do not care about anything but image and profit. Agree?

Last edited by total_genius; 06-25-2008 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 12:14 PM

845 posts, read 2,743,304 times
I dont know because I wasnt around 30 years ago. But whenever I look at old recipe books the recipes called for a lot of lard and butter and such. And the food you got was probably more local than food is today at the stores, so it was porbably fresher. I used lard for the first time to make a pie crust and while I was making it it was smelly but boy was that crust tasty. It seems recipes back then had more of a focus on taste than recipes now that try to balance taste and nutrition.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:23 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,335,740 times
I think the food is better today, but only the more expensive stuff. back then, there were a lot more hole in the wall eateries, which served large quantities of great food at low prices. Nowadays there are a lot more chain restaurants serving plastic food.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:29 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,431,714 times
I think what your Dad is posibly true. Today they put so much crap in our food its hard to know what your eating. When I started cutting out some of the artifical things and started eating more foods that were either all natural or organic, I noticed a REAL difference.

If you doubt me, try this test.

Get some chicken stock, one regular with the MSG and everything else in it and compare it directly with an all natural brand or an organic brand. The stuff with MSG and all the other stuff almost makes me sick now. I accidently used some the other day and I just threw out what I was making.

The only reason I started this to begin with was because I discovered I am allergic to Yellow #5. While doing some reading, I found out that its derived from Coal Tar and is a by product of the petroleum industry. I found it all over the place, even in Welches white grape juice and other places you would never suspect.

I tend to make things from scratch now rather then buying prepacked because when I make it myself, it tastes so much better.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:35 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,698,824 times
Thumbs up So true!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey_mcfarren View Post
i Think What Your Dad Is Posibly True. Today They Put So Much Crap In Our Food Its Hard To Know What Your Eating. When I Started Cutting Out Some Of The Artifical Things And Started Eating More Foods That Were Either All Natural Or Organic, I Noticed A Real Difference.

If You Doubt Me, Try This Test.

Get Some Chicken Stock, One Regular With The Msg And Everything Else In It And Compare It Directly With An All Natural Brand Or An Organic Brand. The Stuff With Msg And All The Other Stuff Almost Makes Me Sick Now. I Accidently Used Some The Other Day And I Just Threw Out What I Was Making.

The Only Reason I Started This To Begin With Was Because I Discovered I Am Allergic To Yellow #5. While Doing Some Reading, I Found Out That Its Derived From Coal Tar And Is A By Product Of The Petroleum Industry. I Found It All Over The Place, Even In Welches White Grape Juice And Other Places You Would Never Suspect.

I Tend To Make Things From Scratch Now Rather Then Buying Prepacked Because When I Make It Myself, It Tastes So Much Better.

Right on LM!!!!:d

Old 06-25-2008, 01:53 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,350,909 times
I think it is important to look at a much bigger picture in order to understand how our attitudes towards food has changed, 30 years is not far enough back. Try looking at some Turn-of-the-Century cookbooks, and cookbooks from the late 1800's and WWI era. Before the turn of the century, people ate much healthier. Food was less processed; people were eating natural fiber, more whole grain and bran, way less sugar. True, many recipes called for cream, butter, or eggs, but most people worked in jobs where that kind of food was necesary to perform the heavy manual labor.

Around WWI, flour manufacturers and Madison Avenue began a campaign to convince the American public that eating refined flour was healthier for you "because it was easier to digest." I have a cookbook belonging to my grandmother with this admonition on the cover. Sugar became less expensive and so recipes calling for more sugar were introduced to the public.

There was another big shift in the 50's. Incomes rose so after WWII that more and more families were able to buy freezers, dishwashers, toasters, coffeemakers, fondue pots, barbecue grills; all sorts of contraptions for the kitchen and for entertaining. There was the start of interest in other cuisines, and the same the time we were all trying to be good little homogenous Americans and be like everyone else. Now that nearly every family had an automobile and the highway system improved, they could travel more. One thing about traveling with kids- they don't like surprises. Mom and Pop restaurants who served family recipes fell into obscurity in favor of chain restaurants with standardized menus. For proof just look at the number of chain restaurants that started in the 50's and 60's.

Families got busier lifestyles, more women worked outside the home- the 70's, 80's and 90's saw an explosion of convenience foods that were long on promise and short on delivery with respect to nutrition, or taste. I am not so sure that food tasted better 30 years. I know it tasted better 50 years ago, and I'm pretty sure it tasted even better 100 years ago.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:13 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times
Yes, it definitely tasted better 20+yrs. ago. I think the biggest contributor to the taste decline is the rampant usage of High-Fructose Corn Syrup.
It has actually been to my benefit though, as i was considerably overweight back then. I've maintained a good weight for the last 15 years, but if food preparation went back to the way it used to be, i'd probably have weight issues again.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:02 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,460 times
Stay away from the chains and you'll still find great food. When you go to someplace that is cooking a recipe designed in a test kitchen thousands of miles away and cooked by people who don't really take any ownership in the food that they prepare your meal will be lackluster.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:10 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,431,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Yes, it definitely tasted better 20+yrs. ago. I think the biggest contributor to the taste decline is the rampant usage of High-Fructose Corn Syrup.
It has actually been to my benefit though, as i was considerably overweight back then. I've maintained a good weight for the last 15 years, but if food preparation went back to the way it used to be, i'd probably have weight issues again.
I couldn't agree with you MORE. I wish they would stop using HFCS.

Maine Writer, I also learned that the rest of the colorings are also petroluem based but not from Coal Tar. Didn't make me feel so good. Then of course you have all the artificial flavorings. Why use the artificial when you can have the real. My daughter found out once she tasted real lemonade that she didn't like it.

She only drinks juice now that has all natural ingredients. Is it any wonder that our kids don't like to eat whats good for them?

Old 10-25-2008, 03:19 PM

33 posts, read 87,402 times
I don't remember food tasting any better but then again...I stick to eating at home unless there's a true chef in a restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink