Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 03:28 PM

485 posts, read 1,314,288 times

Advertisements

It tasted better when it was homemade from scratch by loving hands. More hands were doing that 30 years ago! Now-a-days, "homemade" means bought in a box, added eggs and oil!!!!!:eek :
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 03:33 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrouchTigerHiddenDog View Post
It tasted better when it was homemade from scratch by loving hands. More hands were doing that 30 years ago! Now-a-days, "homemade" means bought in a box, added eggs and oil!!!!!:eek :
You forgot a few LOL

Old 10-25-2008, 08:51 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,809,017 times
I worked in restaurants and was surprised that most food came pre packaged, like soups, beans come in cans alfredo sauce came from a frozen bag....onions come pre-diced, as carrots come preshredded
yes i would have to agree that food tasted better 30 years all the prep was done in resturaunts, now its canned, bagged and frozen. now its thaw, toss, and heat.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:36 PM

98 posts, read 589,310 times
Dad's right. I don't exactly want to go out and bag my own dinner. But lets face it, the food today is as tasty as cardboard. I can't stand anything that says low fat. If it says low fat it's usually tasteless and nasty. I agree with the corn syrup others have mentioned. Why on earth everything has to have corn syrup is beyond me. Just look on the ingredients label and see how much of what we have today is loaded up with corn syrup. Some one gave it some extra letters.
I find the food has a short life span once I bring it home. I bought bread the other night and it was getting moldy the next day. I buy cheese that says good till and has a months away use by date and it turns moldy in a couple weeks (I use it now to trap mice). Frozen foods are so awful and never look like the pictures. Now they are shrinking the amount they put in the container.
Like Michelle1210 I was surprised when I first saw the restaurants use so much bagged and pre-sliced and diced foods. Hard to believe but it was around 1992 when I was stunned to see that in a Denny's restaurant they were dumping bags of pre-cut lettuce in the bins.
So it's not your Dad's imagination, its true. Food did taste better. Now people listen to the junk scientist and so called researchers (that are paid by the food conglomerates) that fat is bad, cholesterol is bad and what is bad changes it seems from month to month. People have had health problems ever since there were people. There's more people now so it seems like more problems. Does seem like there's more cancer than in the past though. Probably caused by all those fake foods.
Besides worrying about the processed foods foisted on us we have to worry about what's in the toothpaste, dry milk, pet food, toys, chairs (look on the BBC news for the bad chairs from China) etc. I've never felt so paranoid in my life as I do now when I go shopping.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:44 PM

98 posts, read 589,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Stay away from the chains and you'll still find great food. When you go to someplace that is cooking a recipe designed in a test kitchen thousands of miles away and cooked by people who don't really take any ownership in the food that they prepare your meal will be lackluster.
You are soooooo right. When I'm in another town (which is often) I'll stop and ask the locals where they eat. It is rarely at the fast foods and chains by the interstate. I find wonderful food that way. Lots of them are not fancy but they are clean. I try to locate places in small towns and I have a good list of them. Home cooked meals at a reasonable price. The one chain if it is a chain are the Amish restaurants. They almost always have great food.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:59 PM

625 posts, read 1,586,427 times
Yep.....nuff said

Old 10-26-2008, 11:10 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
What BillyC64 said.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:02 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,689,159 times
I think it started in the 1950's when people forgot how to cook. Time and convenience took over for taste and quality.

Ask a person from that era or later about cooking chicken or beef. The standard answer will you get is 350 F. for an hour. That is just plain wrong. Meat should be cooked low and slow. If it didn't take all day, it wasn't worth eating.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:23 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,738 times
I don't think anyone would argue that the food was any better for us back then, but better tasting. When we cooked, we used oil, butter, etc. We didn't have the health consciousness we have now. So, the food tasted better, but why do you think so many older folks are heavier, or less healthy, now?

Old 10-27-2008, 07:38 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
I don't think anyone would argue that the food was any better for us back then, but better tasting. When we cooked, we used oil, butter, etc. We didn't have the health consciousness we have now. So, the food tasted better, but why do you think so many older folks are heavier, or less healthy, now?
I'm guessing their metabolisms slowed down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink