Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 04:07 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,730,417 times

Advertisements

I'll get some ving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 09:41 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,351,828 times
if it is that wet then try putting it on a rack on a cookie sheet and let it dry out in the fridge for a few hours (I think i read this in cooks illustrated or somehting--they were trying to dry the chicken out a bit so that the skin would be nice and crispy)

Old 08-19-2008, 10:46 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,072,643 times
We live in the Northern Rockies and we have lots of Anabaptist colonys here and there, (Mennonites, Amish and Hutterites). We love the huge frozen chickens we get from the New Miami Colony of Hutterites. We do a quick brine/marinade, (kosher salt, lime juice, tequila and seasonings). Drain well then bake the chicken upside down ! You don't get the nice crispy breast skin but we don't eat the skin at all. The chicken comes out with the breast meat being almost as tasty and tender as the dark meat without being "wet". Tie those wings in tight so they don't overcook !

Old 08-19-2008, 06:14 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times
Another possibility for good chicken that isn't injected full of revenue-boosting additives is your local Farmers' Market, if you have one nearby. Most Farmers' Markets these days go far beyond the usual fruit & veg. that people think of at such places.

We've started buying all our meats (chicken, beef, pork, lamb, turkey) from the farmer who produces them, and the difference between what he sells and the sorry excuse for "meat" that the grocery stores offer is astounding. I will never, ever serve a store-bought turkey for Thanksgiving again, and the crown roast of pork that we got from him for Christmas dinner last year... oh, my. Words fail me.

The farmer is your friend, and your tastebuds will thank you for going straight to the source. And as a side benefit, the fewer middle-men between you and the farmer, the more of your food dollars wind up in the pockets of the men and women who produced that food, which is always A Good Thing.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:56 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,868,736 times
I have noticed the wet chicken thing too and it grosses me out to the point that I can barely deal with raw chicken now. I do buy Kosher chicken now and it seems a lot better. I don't like the clear juices (fat?) that are in juicy chicken and have to cook it until it's dry. But on the other hand, I like beef rare. Go figure. I have noticed this with ground turkey too. It's so damn wet and mushy! Tried using it instead of ground beef and switched back.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:11 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,312,097 times
My SO went out with a Japanese fisherman years ago. He wouldn't let them eat the catch, and they were gone for about a month.

His wife made them rice balls to eat and they took chicken along. Supposedly it was almost 'green' and slimy after awhile at sea.

The fisherguy rubbed the chicken with salt and vinegar, rinsed off the slime, and cooked it, .. and one of them anyway, is still around to tell the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink