Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 03:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

What are you trying to accomplish? I get the feeling that there's a real question behind all your questions that we're not quite getting, which makes it difficult to give you the answer you're seeking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 07:24 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
I have the impression that italians just eat carbohydrates

(either in the form of spaghetti, ziti, or lasagna, or any form of these, spaghetti, ziti, and all the others are basically the same thing)

mixed with a tomato sauce and some kind of cheese

I wanna know what else they eat

Picture with description would be great

thank you

Old 08-17-2008, 07:44 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,184 times
Here's my favorite chicken dish.
Pollo all'Arancia alla Catanese (orange chicken Catania style)
3# chicken pieces
1 clove garlic
1 Tablespoon fresh or 1 tsp dried rosemary, and mint (any mint)
1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
1 onion chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup orange juice
4 Tablespoons cognac, sicilian brandy or cointreau
1/4-1/2 cup chicken broth (I never need it)
salt and pepper

Preheat oven 400* Rub the chicken with garlic, rosemary, mint and nutmeg. (the longer it's on the stronger the flavor)
In heavy ovenproof skillet, saute the onion in oil until golden, add chicken and brown on all sides. Lower heat, add orange juice and brandy.
Roast chicken in skillet for 1 to 1/2 hours basting every 1/2 hour with chicken broth. Salt and pepper to taste.

I hope this helps you on your quest.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:40 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Regional Italian Cuisine

Old 08-18-2008, 07:35 AM

Proscuitto. Italian sausage - sweet or hot. Various game animals. Pate. Tuscan Tilemakers Stew.

Try going to Ciao Italia and check out the recipes in the meat, poultry, and fish sections.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:49 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
I have the impression that italians just eat carbohydrates

(either in the form of spaghetti, ziti, or lasagna, or any form of these, spaghetti, ziti, and all the others are basically the same thing)

mixed with a tomato sauce and some kind of cheese

I wanna know what else they eat

Picture with description would be great

thank you
First, look at a map of Italy, it's surrounded by water, seafood of many varieties plays a very important part of the cuisine. Look at the vast area controlled by the Romans as well as the fact many parts of Italy were crossroads throughout history and you'll find the influences of a multitude of cultures on Italian cuisine.

Thinking Italians eat nothing but pasta with red sauce is like thinking Americans exist on a diet of hot dogs and hamburgers

Old 08-18-2008, 08:33 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
My grandmother, from northern Italy, cooked a lot of veal, chicken, rabbit and pork. Pasta was the first course of the meal. Her food was not overladen with olive oil or garlic. Any sauces were light.

And green beans!! Green beans with every meal, just about. My grandfather commandeered the entire yard for his garden, where he grew Italian pole beans. Grandma would steam them, and lightly dress them with oil and vinegar.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:41 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
but what kind of fish live in the mediterrannean

isnt it is tuna and calamari

do they eat cod, halibut, tile fish, bluefish, lobsters, clams

Is their seafood tradition as strong as spain, or is it just a few common dishes

Old 08-18-2008, 08:47 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
but what kind of fish live in the mediterrannean

isnt it is tuna and calamari
And octopus, and scampi, and eel, and a variety of fish we probably don't see here.

Quote:
do they eat cod, halibut, tile fish, bluefish, lobsters, clams
Baccala and linguine with clam sauce are staples on many Italian menus.

Quote:
Is their seafood tradition as strong as spain, or is it just a few common dishes

It may just be stronger, the 'Feast of 7 Fishes' on Christmas Eve is a tradition for many Italians.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:57 AM

Are you going to the links provided?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink