Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 03:46 PM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,098 posts, read 2,151,184 times

Advertisements

There has been a couple of resturant threads, as to what is acceptable, what "class" they are, food qualities etc...So how do you pick the ones that you eat at?

I like to find locally owned ones. I also find out how much, if any, they give back to the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 03:48 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times
I like to pick ones that I haven't been to before. I like to try new things and being in Northern VA, there are SO many available that I'm almost overwhelmed.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:50 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Depends on what I'm hungry for! We have a lovely, delicious, locally owned place we frequent.(Olde Towne Steak and Seafood) I love "Japanese Steakhouses" (I know they aren't really Japanese, but they're great!!!)
Not much on the chains, like Applebee's, TGIFriday, etc..... but will do it if I have to, like when traveling, or something.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:52 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
It depends on what we are hungry for and if we have kids with.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:56 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
One thing I look for in unfamiliar territory is a restaurant that looks like it's been there a long time, but is very well kept. That's a pretty sure sign they have been doing good business for a while - most likely the food and service are good.

I definitely try to eat at independent restaurants as opposed to chains - the chains are a fall-back if none of the independents look promising.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:40 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
We always look for the local independent places. I'd sooner eat a peanut butter sandwich in the car than go to the chain restaurants.

I look for places that portray the local flavor, the regional zeitgeist. I want to find the spot where the natives who've lived there all their lives go for comfort food. That's usually a good indicator that the place is worth a try.

We also hunt for ethnic restaurants that are owned and run by natives of whatever country's cuisine is on the menu. In this community, we're richly blessed with many, many fine ethnic restaurants: Nepali, African, German, Lebanese, Moroccan, Russian, Argentinian, Indian, Laotian, Thai, Vietnamese, as well as the usual Chinese, Italian and Mexican restaurants that most cities have. It makes for tough decision-making when we go out, but on the bright side, it's pretty hard to find a bad meal here.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:03 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I try to avoid chains, get trusted recommendations, read reviews ( local papers, national papers, trip advisor etc..) I always do my "homework".

I always prefer independent restaurants, and those who use local produce and have good animal husbandry standards, and environmentally friendly policies/ethical policies ( fair trade etc) too.

Then it has to do with atmosphere, and whether it fits the "mood" of the evening.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I *really* try to avoid chains. I know they are not all the same, but too often they promote mediocrity.
No matter what type food, one of the most important qualities is fresh ingredients. Competent staff helps a lot.
I appreciate creativity, ethical practices, and cleanliness.
As others have said, it sort of depends on the mood. One night we might want spicy Mexican, another night I may prefer bohemian hippie food, perhaps French cuisine for my birthday..still another night, sushi may appeal...

Old 10-23-2008, 04:45 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
I prefer locally owned with locally grown foods offered. Living rurally, that's not easy to find so a wide variety of foods is a plus.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:39 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,062,835 times
When in doubt, we always choose the resturant with the most vehicles in the parking lot. An empty parking lot at meal time is a dead give away to stay away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink